NHL 20 Discussion Thread

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well, it's that time again! Reveal Day.

We'll get the cover reveal as well as the first trailer tonight, and then full details on the EA website tomorrow.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
GM Connected is being heavily speculated to make its return to the game for 20...

If that turns out to be accurate the game has went from being the first Chel I wasn't going to buy in 12 years... to be a day one pre-order purchase again.

The most fun I ever had on NHL games was GM connected. Absolutely huge if its coming back.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
New play by play and commentary? Does that means boring doc is gone? Or has he been gone? Havent bought a NHL game in years

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
New play by play and commentary? Does that means boring doc is gone? Or has he been gone? Havent bought a NHL game in years

nah he did NHL 19, and I would be surprised if he didn't do NHL 20. Who would even take his place? No other broadcaster has anywhere near the appeal that he does especially to the casual viewership

I'm guessing they just meant new lines, which they do every year...

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
It blows my effing mind that almost every other sports games has an in depth be a pro mode that fans love but yet EA treats it like s*** and claims that they don’t see much demand for it but of course they see demand for all the game modes that bring extra money.

The whole damn press release is an insult to fans that love traditional simulation hockey games. They Care more about Youtubers and random presentation bullsh** then making a decent simulation game. Scoreboard at the bottom is dumb and is change for change sake. If they want to make an arcade based hockey game then branch off but don’t sabotage and gut the main game.

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
I'm in the same boat as a lot of long time fans of this series. Played religiously from '08 - '16. I never really enjoyed the feel of the game since they switched to the new consoles with '15, but played '15 and '16 because I love the game itself and figured it would get better. It didn't.

Not enough changed with '17 and '18 to make me want to buy '19, so I didn't, and I'm glad I didn't. Now they're giving it away and people are still hating it. HUT has become just another EA money grab, everyone still wants GM connected back, and a PC port is well past due.

Now is the perfect time for another company to come along and compete with EA because this series is toast.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
EA NHL: 12 years to put group goal celebrations, a new Stanley Cup celebration in the game

Also EA NHL: 8 months to put 'Canes Storm Surge in the game

Reactions: NHL WAR
Sep 19, 2008

If there is a celebration designer where you can design and customize team celebrations it would help a little. The concept of a postgame team celebration is okay but if that's the biggest improvement you have over 19 it's kind of a disappointment

Reactions: Saskatoon

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
The dev team needs to be booted. Seriously. Just start fresh, it's been the same old recycled crap since they moved consoles. Focus more on Franchise mode/be a pro, try and make the menus not god awful, oh and improve the soundtrack. Maybe more than the same 15 songs or whatever. SERIOUSLY EA, THE GAME IS SLOWLY DYING AND YOU'RE NOT HELPING.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
giphy.gif

Reactions: Saskatoon

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
These dudes are lazy. Can't even figure out an algorithm for their leaderboards. It's always funny to me when I look and the #1 guy has 500 more games. I have more assist. 200+ +/- and he's in the negatives. More wins. 20% better FO %. Less penalty minutes. But he's the #1 center because points!! We are too lazy to factor other things and just go by points!!!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
FWIW, there will be more features and stuff announced later.

Pros
- The shooting revamp was desperately needed, so that’s a positive.
- The presentation refresh was needed, so that’s a positive.
- The new threes/ones eliminator tournament things wasn’t needed per say, but as someone who plays a lot of threes with the buddies, I’ll enjoy that
- Auston Matthews on the cover. Finally a Leaf! I’ll probably have to pick up a copy of the physical copy for it. But outside of fandom, he is a good selection.
- The Canal is really cool. As an Ottawa resident, that got me excited.

Cons
- Seemingly no revamped Be A Pro/Career Mode. I assume if there was, it would be a main feature, so I think it’s safe to assume it didn’t happen. These modes are focuses for EVERY other sports game, and this development team just doesn’t care about it, which is sad.
- No Franchise Mode Refresh. Every so often, the franchise mode needs a refresh. Not drastic changes but a different name, a different look, some unique features added. Going from Dynasty Mode, to Be A GM, to Franchise are all examples of that. I think it’s time. I assume we will get some more minor additions to Franchise, but nothing big
- HUT squad battles? Honestly, reading the description of this mode...... I don’t see the point? Everyone I know plays HUT solo, with the exception of challenging each other to to face head to head. So this really confuses me.
- No Frostbite. I’m not shocked anymore. With the next generation around the corner, it’s almost pointless now. Let’s hope there will be an engine upgrade for the next generation consoles at least.

Overall, there’s things I’m excited for. Something I’m hoping get announced still. Things I’m disappointed with.

I’m a little underwhelmed. I’m not sure what the major addition is this year. In years past, there was always something that stood out. World of Chel last year for example.

This year, is it supposed to be the face bandana’s which got an odd amount of focus? Shooting animations? 2 new outdoor rinks for ones (which for some reason aren’t used for threes)?

I dunno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad