NHL 20 Discussion Thread

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
After years of abscence from the series, I really like this game. Playing with AlTito's slider on All-Star.

Played the Yotes yesterday in my franchise and won 5-2. First goal was a 2-on-0 after a turnover, second goal a deflection, third goal a breakaway, fourth goal a snipe short side and the last one an empty netter. All different goals and felt legit.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
This game is broken. The hitting is stupid as is the CPU’s ability to even the simplest things that your controlled player can’t. Oh, I’ve skated within 3 feet of you with the puck? Yes, please take it with your magnet stick! Oh you’re flat footed right in front of me? Ouch, that bone crushing hit you laid on me by taking one step that sent gave me a 10 second get up animation was incredibly realistic!

Also, I guess they updated the game because my cpu players won’t stop taking slashing penalties. 3/4 in a row every game all clustered together.

this game will suck so long as the AI remains absolute horseshit. I haven’t paid anything close to full price for one of these jokes for good measure and reason. Don’t see it changing either. Put all the lipstick on you want, it’s still a disgusting pig underneath.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Jesus f***ing Christ I am so tired of my controlled player trying to pass the pack to the point when I cruise behind the net and there's a guy open in the slot. Every single time my player tries to pass it to the point. And I have passing assist on zero. This has been an issue with this series for like 10 years and they will never fix it.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i wish they were ready to slam a roster update out on free agent frenzy and trade deadline day

lazy as f*** to not have it done already

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Jesus f*cking Christ I am so tired of my controlled player trying to pass the pack to the point when I cruise behind the net and there's a guy open in the slot. Every single time my player tries to pass it to the point. And I have passing assist on zero. This has been an issue with this series for like 10 years and they will never fix it.
Try gently tapping the pass button.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Is there a way to email EA sports on things that they should update for the franchise mode for their next game?

1. I want them to add goal songs for each team.
2. Have fans chant player and team names during the game.
3. Create your own celebrations
4. Create your own goalie mask.
5. Add outdoor game/stadium series.
6. After you win the cup there should be a banner raising for the first home game of the new season.

Any others that people would add?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Is there a way to email EA sports on things that they should update for the franchise mode for their next game?

1. I want them to add goal songs for each team.
2. Have fans chant player and team names during the game.
3. Create your own celebrations
4. Create your own goalie mask.
5. Add outdoor game/stadium series.
6. After you win the cup there should be a banner raising for the first home game of the new season.

Any others that people would add?

they do a survey at one point every year where you can weigh in on new features they are considering. its actually kind of interesting because you can read about concepts before they're even announced to the public

and at the end there is an open text box you can say whatever

I know I get an email with the survey every year

also those are all great ideas, which is why EA will never do them

whats so frustrating is that some of those features you used to be able to do, and they were inexplicably removed (1 & 5). the custom soundtrack option for the 360 era of the game allowed you to change goal songs, entrance songs, etc. to anything you wanted that was stored on your console

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
they do a survey at one point every year where you can weigh in on new features they are considering. its actually kind of interesting because you can read about concepts before they're even announced to the public

and at the end there is an open text box you can say whatever

I know I get an email with the survey every year

also those are all great ideas, which is why EA will never do them

whats so frustrating is that some of those features you used to be able to do, and they were inexplicably removed (1 & 5). the custom soundtrack option for the 360 era of the game allowed you to change goal songs, entrance songs, etc. to anything you wanted that was stored on your console

That's great to know about the survey.. where do I take the survey? there has to be a way to email them or something. There is so much that they can do to make this game amazing and they just seem so lazy about it.

I remember 1. Being on there like that. Just wish they would have the teams actually goal song that the fans chant and the noises that the avs have when they get off a power play.

They allstar game should also be added too.

ArthurAnyMoreDonuts

Sep 20, 2019
Is there anyway to not have a play by play name this year? If I remember correctly if you used the last name Jevpalovs in NHL 18 or 19 the commentators wouldn't say it. Is that still an option in NHL 20?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
That's great to know about the survey.. where do I take the survey? there has to be a way to email them or something. There is so much that they can do to make this game amazing and they just seem so lazy about it.

I remember 1. Being on there like that. Just wish they would have the teams actually goal song that the fans chant and the noises that the avs have when they get off a power play.

They allstar game should also be added too.

Somehow EA has my email address so that’s how I get the survey. I hardly remember what time of year they send it. Probably spring time

yeah EA is so lazy. I’m not a big basketball guy at all but I gave one of the NBA2K games a try one year and it blew my mind. They are incredible compared to EANHL

it sucks for us hockey fans that we are stuck with such a lazy company

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Somehow EA has my email address so that’s how I get the survey. I hardly remember what time of year they send it. Probably spring time

yeah EA is so lazy. I’m not a big basketball guy at all but I gave one of the NBA2K games a try one year and it blew my mind. They are incredible compared to EANHL

it sucks for us hockey fans that we are stuck with such a lazy company

I wish there was a way to get in touch with them beyond just a survey. I get so hyped for the new game every year and bc I love hockey so much I always get it because I cant stand not playing the game.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I wish there was a way to get in touch with them beyond just a survey. I get so hyped for the new game every year and bc I love hockey so much I always get it because I cant stand not playing the game.

you may not get a response but you can contact them via Twitter on their official account or Rammer has one too

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
1) when should we expect the post-deadline roster update?

2) did a quick sim of franchise mode for one season to see what’s up. Made sure my team won the Cup. Gotta love the half-assed Cup win celebration. The handshake line shows 3 guys from your team: your captain, your goalie, and some 4th liner if I recall correctly. That same said 4th liner is one of 3 people on your team to raise the Cup. Then a team picture where not even everyone on the motherf***ing team is in the picture! (Created players don’t show up I guess, had to create a prospect for my team)

Total joke. With all the time they spent doing stupid ass EASHL celebrations and making snoop dogg jerseys you’d think they’d have a little extra time to work on the Cup celebrations.

It’s not THAT important, but it’s the epitome of EA and EA NHL specifically with how many corners they cut.

Reactions: Readytostart

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
IF the development team were smart, they would wait at least 2 years between games. Instead, charge a licence fee for updates on existing game, while creating the best damn game available.

Problem with the game is that someone in management suggested that they target the casual gamer, assuming that they would always have the hardcore player..........wrong. First time I didn't buy the game in over 2 decades was the NHL20.

Get Bent EA

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

EA should be embarrassed. The gameplay looks miles ahead of anything EA has released lately. This video just shows how dumb EAs AI actually are. And then when you go back and look at the features that games like ESPN 2K5 had that could have been implemented into NHL games, it's just straight embarrassing. 2K5 literally tracked how you played and created an AI that was based on your play. And it did the same for everyone else. And then you could play your own or others AI's. You could have players prep for upcoming games in a myriad of different ways. Not to mention you could upload draft classes.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I haven't gone through all the threads but one thing and really only one thing bugs me about the game. I play in Franchise mode. I don't want to play all the games so I sim all of them. If I am within a goal or tied with 7 minutes left in the third, I stop simulating and take over the game.

Whatever line is out at the puck drop, which is almost exclusively at centre ice is fine. My problem is that if there are no whistles, the players don't change 99% of the time. I have to go offside on purpose for a line change. DRIVES ME NUTS.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Speaking of franchise mode, the amount of goals given up in the last 5 or so minutes of the game is ridiculous. My goalie can have saved 25/26 shots but at the end of the game gives up 2-3 goals

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

EA should be embarrassed. The gameplay looks miles ahead of anything EA has released lately. This video just shows how dumb EAs AI actually are. And then when you go back and look at the features that games like ESPN 2K5 had that could have been implemented into NHL games, it's just straight embarrassing. 2K5 literally tracked how you played and created an AI that was based on your play. And it did the same for everyone else. And then you could play your own or others AI's. You could have players prep for upcoming games in a myriad of different ways. Not to mention you could upload draft classes.

Lets just stop.

2K was absolute shit. That is why nobody bought and and it went bankrupt.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Lets just stop.

2K was absolute shit. That is why nobody bought and and it went bankrupt.
I loved the 2k series and only went to EA after 2k went under. Played the crap out of 2k10 and loved all the little options for customization. feel like EA has progressed at all from when i played 14 -> 18 -> 20. Even the NFL 2k was great. But it didnt have the years in the game like Madden/NHL. Plus when NFL started to get better reviews than Madden, EA paid the NFL to have an exclusive deal.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I recently was gifted NHL 20 and played it for the first time last night. Love the skating engine, but hate how its basically the same cut scenes, etc of 18, and even 14. I play BAP and Franchise and amazed at how they just modified the cut screens for both modes. Glad i did not spend money on this. But EA needs to step their game up and start making doing something new. Was perfectly fine playing 18 till like 2022 if needed.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I loved the 2k series and only went to EA after 2k went under. Played the crap out of 2k10 and loved all the little options for customization. feel like EA has progressed at all from when i played 14 -> 18 -> 20. Even the NFL 2k was great. But it didnt have the years in the game like Madden/NHL. Plus when NFL started to get better reviews than Madden, EA paid the NFL to have an exclusive deal.
I just feel like EA could be great if they just took some of the smaller simple features from those games, but now that they have no competition they have no incentive to.

Reactions: jprenkert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad