NHL 20 Discussion Thread

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm amazed people still buy this game with all the complaints annually that never get fixed. I bought NBA 2K19 when it was on sale for $3 just for the hell of it since I'm not a big basketball fan at all and have been having so much more fun in that then I have in the NHL series the past decade or so.

Just take some time off and try out some other games. You'll be glad you did.

If you get the itch to play a hockey game like I did about 3 weeks ago, fire up your last one bought, play it and realize it sucks and be happy you didn't spend another $60+ on garbage.
NBA 2k isn't even basketball anymore its just a 3 point simulator lol. You have guys shooting flipping 60+% its a joke.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Just gonna go ahead and uninstall this. The game is fine IMO, I wouldn't keep coming back if it weren't... it's the people. The shameless, desperate ways that people play for even the most insignificant victory. It's getting to the point where beating them is almost as unsatisfying as losing to them because it's disheartening to watch and just isn't fun to play against. Which is probably why I avoid competitive multiplayer games in general, people just find a way to ruin everything.

I can't reasonably expect EA to "fix" awful people right? They just give us the playground to play, it's up to us to not so abhorrently abuse it. I wish there was a way to sell/refund digital copies of these games on Xbox. I probably should've gone physical like I usually do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I'm amazed people still buy this game with all the complaints annually that never get fixed. I bought NBA 2K19 when it was on sale for $3 just for the hell of it since I'm not a big basketball fan at all and have been having so much more fun in that then I have in the NHL series the past decade or so.

Just take some time off and try out some other games. You'll be glad you did.

If you get the itch to play a hockey game like I did about 3 weeks ago, fire up your last one bought, play it and realize it sucks and be happy you didn't spend another $60+ on garbage.

Most of the complaints are almost never well thought out, with real ways to "fix it". A lot of the times, people just say "fix your game". Not the brightest people, nor should EA even pay attention to them.

I enjoy the game, because you don't hardly concerns me or is going to deter me from buying it.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
lol that's....weird.
Eh, people play the game differently. I play franchise mode offline pretty much exclusively. I like to fantasy draft a team and then play with them over the course of a few seasons. It's a lot more fun when all the current players are there to pick from and be options to build around.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Just gonna go ahead and uninstall this. The game is fine IMO, I wouldn't keep coming back if it weren't... it's the people. The shameless, desperate ways that people play for even the most insignificant victory. It's getting to the point where beating them is almost as unsatisfying as losing to them because it's disheartening to watch and just isn't fun to play against. Which is probably why I avoid competitive multiplayer games in general, people just find a way to ruin everything.

I can't reasonably expect EA to "fix" awful people right? They just give us the playground to play, it's up to us to not so abhorrently abuse it. I wish there was a way to sell/refund digital copies of these games on Xbox. I probably should've gone physical like I usually do.

Shoutout to the kids playing as all star teams on online versus, you know who you are and I hope you trip down a flight of stairs

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Shoutout to the kids playing as all star teams on online versus, you know who you are and I hope you trip down a flight of stairs
I've only run into this a few times but tbh, they usually end up not being very good at the game. So whatever... as long as they're having fun. It's the more subtle people who actually are "good" (ie. know how to exploit the shit out of the games mechanics) but still religiously pick the Cup winners from whatever year it is or highly rated deep playoff teams just to put their shitty-ness over the top.

EDIT: I did an experiment a few years ago where I played as the lowly Sabres (as I always do) and probably lost half of the games I played... then I picked a better team like the Pens (more in their hayday) and literally went undefeated in Online Versus for about 20-25 games. It's kinda disgusting how much of an advantage/disadvantage you have just because of the team you pick. Unrealistic as it is, team/player ratings should probably be leveled out when playing online.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I've only run into this a few times but tbh, they usually end up not being very good at the game. So whatever... as long as they're having fun. It's the more subtle people who actually are "good" (ie. know how to exploit the **** out of the games mechanics) but still religiously pick the Cup winners from whatever year it is or highly rated deep playoff teams just to put their ****ty-ness over the top.

EDIT: I did an experiment a few years ago where I played as the lowly Sabres (as I always do) and probably lost half of the games I played... then I picked a better team like the Pens (more in their hayday) and literally went undefeated in Online Versus for about 20-25 games. It's kinda disgusting how much of an advantage/disadvantage you have just because of the team you pick. Unrealistic as it is, team/player ratings should probably be leveled out when playing online.

Certain players are literally impossible to get the puck from. Playing against Toronto is always fun watching Matthews and Marner literally skate into my defensemen and still hold on to the puck for a shot 6 feet from the goalie

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Anyone know if the game will be on sale during Black Friday?

It should be and I really hope so because I've been waiting for Black Friday to buy it.
Usually it is and it's also really cheap on Boxing Day (Similar price to BlackFriday)

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
Did Anyone notice in Franchise mode when starting a game when they show the goalies stats its either always at zero for everything or both goalies have the exact same stats

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Does anyone know when the next Diamond Packs come out?! I've lost track at this point, with EA releasing them multiple times ahead of schedule, and then some getting pushed back farther. Thanks!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For those who didn't buy and want a fun hockey game; EHM (Eastside Hockey Manager) is on sale for 6 dollars on steam. Absolutely amazing game that I highly recommend!

Reactions: 18Hossa

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Can anybody help? In the trade menu you can add different players to the watchlist. My problem is that I cannot find the watchlist with the players

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Not sure why I keep coming back to Online Versus in this.

I can't count the number of games anymore where the shots at the end are like 32 - 7 and somehow I lost 1 - 2. Where those two goals against were some corner snipe on a rush that you're kinda stuck giving up since playing the body and poke checking is so hit and miss (especially as the Sabres)... some cross crease one-timer because the game occasionally decides I'm not in the passing lane in position to block/intercept it whether I am or not... or some series of horrifically unfortunate (for me) bounces that you just can't account for.

It's probably 6-7 games in a row of that shit lately, and hundreds overall. Infuriating. Yeah, I get it... real hockey works like that. Sometimes the better team loses no matter how hard they try. Goaltenders stand on their head. Just don't have the puck luck some nights, etc. But not EVERY DAMN GAME. This isn't a "realistic" quality of the game, it's something broken that needs to be fixed.

EDIT:
Step one, needs to be fixing the hitting. If I run into someone hard, they need to get hit. I don't care what animation they're in, I don't care if I'm slightly off center. No free passes. Half of these flakey goals against are because I stood someone up at the line and bounced off them for some reason, and they get a free zone entry, and some free shitty exploitative opportunity. This game spends WAY too much time trying to decide what you wanted to do for you and coming up short.

Step two, they need to level the playing field in Online Versus. Realism be damned, I shouldn't be at a major disadvantage and lose 80% of the RNG battles just because I like the Sabres.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I Play the game a lot but the AI is f***ed in 3s. If you are playing wing and have an AI defense, you almost can't play winger because if you go up, the AI never stays back even by the blue line to play defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad