NHL 20 Discussion Thread

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I recently was gifted NHL 20 and played it for the first time last night. Love the skating engine, but hate how its basically the same cut scenes, etc of 18, and even 14. I play BAP and Franchise and amazed at how they just modified the cut screens for both modes. Glad i did not spend money on this. But EA needs to step their game up and start making doing something new. Was perfectly fine playing 18 till like 2022 if needed.

I feel like franchise has come a good way since 18, even if some of the features were in earlier titles before. I'm interested to see where they go with coaching, morale, etc.

I'd like to see a match/season rating system similar to football manager.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
CHEL is broken garbage , especially 1v1v1(ONES)...How can players that are taller,heavier are somehow faster than the shorter/lighter player it doesn't make any sense...Every single top player is a tall player that abuses the long stick mechanics while somehow getting the puck like it's magnetic. If only it was just the players teaming up on you or passing to each other but this is a big joke.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
CHEL is broken garbage , especially 1v1v1(ONES)...How can players that are taller,heavier are somehow faster than the shorter/lighter player it doesn't make any sense...Every single top player is a tall player that abuses the long stick mechanics while somehow getting the puck like it's magnetic. If only it was just the players teaming up on you or passing to each other but this is a big joke.
Last season Ones was way better. But of course EA f***s it up.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
havent gotten an NHL game since 2018. Got this. Didnt really play much until recently aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand..........................its like the same thing as 2018 except a semi revamped franchise mode which still seems dated, still shitty skating, still moronic AI team mates.

Fights and scrums are still unrealistic and they cut the time in between whistles so its harder to even fight anyone

2K should take their heads out of their asses and develop a new game

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Why do the injuries still last "games" when they removed the option to let players rest that number of games in HUT so many years ago?

And when won't lefty shooters not hold righty sticks in cut scenes? That problem came with NHL 99 and has persevered..

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Had to pause my current game for some thoughts.

They say skating is improved or whatever but dont see it. IDK about anyone else, I play PS4 and I still have the same issues when it comes to checking.

1. Ill try and skate up and when I go for a check I completely miss
2. Holding L2 I will try and glide to check someone carrying the park ill either just glide by them or totally miss the check

Skating mechanics are still awful.

I just got a game misconduct for some check and the announcer said something about suspensions. I know no game has suspensions in them but NHL could be the first to actually have em and it would be cool.

As I said a few posts before AI is still stupid. I have players all out of position and skating into each other.

As I said before franchise mode they just added a few bells and whistles and it still seems incomplete. Have mentioned many times before if EA wants a good franchise mode(NHL and Madden) they need to look at NBA 2K. NBA 2K sort of ruined their franchise mode with all the coin bullshit but everything else EA should totally duplicate. More in depth player bios and interactions. More fake social media presence. Need better cut scenes too. Maybe before a game show players in the hall ways or locker rooms or taking photos with a fan whos holding a sign

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Was thinking of buying as I'm likely going to have to work from home for a while. Still full price. Pass.

Bought CoD instead. 35% off

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA
So the Montreal Canadians YT page uploaded a CPU vs CPU game with MTL vs ANA.
They were suppose to play yesterday but of course..not happening. so this is the next best thing!
And also enjoy as always some inspiring commentary from Snoop Dogg and a fantastic glitch at 3:54 ! hahaha

Reactions: OB5

OB5

May 2, 2015
Had to pause my current game for some thoughts.

They say skating is improved or whatever but dont see it. IDK about anyone else, I play PS4 and I still have the same issues when it comes to checking.

1. Ill try and skate up and when I go for a check I completely miss
2. Holding L2 I will try and glide to check someone carrying the park ill either just glide by them or totally miss the check

Skating mechanics are still awful.

I just got a game misconduct for some check and the announcer said something about suspensions. I know no game has suspensions in them but NHL could be the first to actually have em and it would be cool.

As I said a few posts before AI is still stupid. I have players all out of position and skating into each other.

As I said before franchise mode they just added a few bells and whistles and it still seems incomplete. Have mentioned many times before if EA wants a good franchise mode(NHL and Madden) they need to look at NBA 2K. NBA 2K sort of ruined their franchise mode with all the coin bullshit but everything else EA should totally duplicate. More in depth player bios and interactions. More fake social media presence. Need better cut scenes too. Maybe before a game show players in the hall ways or locker rooms or taking photos with a fan whos holding a sign

Fifa has red card suspensions

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Best Buy has NHL 20 on sale for $25 bucks. I was going to pass on getting it this year, but since the league is suspended, and its only $25 bucks, may pick it up later today. Hope its a bit improved over NHL 19 at least

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Picked it up on the weekend, played a few games, same as NHL 19 but man what is with the commentary? James Cybulski of all people? Sounds like the guy from NHL Hitz

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Picked it up on the weekend, played a few games, same as NHL 19 but man what is with the commentary? James Cybulski of all people? Sounds like the guy from NHL Hitz

I honestly hate that its Cybulski. I almost wanna turn the volume off when I'm playing.

What settings does everyone typically use in GM mode? I.e. scoring levels and what not (and what's the scoring level that would be closest to real life). I usually turn off team owner so I can have peace of mind

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Wish during Free Agency you could see the other deals, pull offers, and increase offer. You can do it on The Show and remember being able to do it on other games. Pretty sure 2K. Hate this one offer, wait 5 days and then not get them or other guys cause you don’t know what’s going on. Same with coaches. That’s just as frustrating. Trying to find an AHL coach was ridiculous. Since when did AHL coaches want cup contenders only?!?!? Wish wish wish 2K would get back in the game for hockey. Loved everything about that series way more than EA. Skating is almost at the level of 2K10, almost...10 years later and counting. Couldn’t they pick off those developers and work to make the best possible game?!?! I don’t play HUT, Ones, online, etc. give me a decent Franchise mode, where we deal with players requesting trades, hold outs, more up to date injuries, not “waiting for diagnosis” for 3 days, a way to see injury assessment during play. Happy I didn’t have to spend the money on 20, since it’s basically 18 with a different skating engine.

Reactions: Voight

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Wish during Free Agency you could see the other deals, pull offers, and increase offer. You can do it on The Show and remember being able to do it on other games. Pretty sure 2K. Hate this one offer, wait 5 days and then not get them or other guys cause you don’t know what’s going on. Same with coaches. That’s just as frustrating. Trying to find an AHL coach was ridiculous. Since when did AHL coaches want cup contenders only?!?!? Wish wish wish 2K would get back in the game for hockey. Loved everything about that series way more than EA. Skating is almost at the level of 2K10, almost...10 years later and counting. Couldn’t they pick off those developers and work to make the best possible game?!?! I don’t play HUT, Ones, online, etc. give me a decent Franchise mode, where we deal with players requesting trades, hold outs, more up to date injuries, not “waiting for diagnosis” for 3 days, a way to see injury assessment during play. Happy I didn’t have to spend the money on 20, since it’s basically 18 with a different skating engine.
2k was not in my taste at all, but their existence forced EA to actually develop their games. Some of EAs best games were from when the rivalry was at its fiercest.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
2k was not in my taste at all, but their existence forced EA to actually develop their games. Some of EAs best games were from when the rivalry was at its fiercest.
I loved 2k games and only went to EA cause they literally paid the leagues for exclusive deals. Had way more custom options and seemed the game play was more realistic and less “Arcady” like EA has become. Even the NFL series was better than Madden. Trophy Rooms and full records Etc.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Came here to post this.

I offered both Thornton & Koivu deals and then they both accepted. I only needed one of them and would have used the extra money to sign a winger.

Reactions: jprenkert

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I loved 2k games and only went to EA cause they literally paid the leagues for exclusive deals. Had way more custom options and seemed the game play was more realistic and less “Arcady” like EA has become. Even the NFL series was better than Madden. Trophy Rooms and full records Etc.

lol 2K was awful. 2K not acrady? Online I could easily score 16 goals many times over. I was good, but good grief not that good. 2K 10 was the worst.

Reactions: Voight

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Anyone else experiencing the game “freezing” after changing coaches in franchise. I was rolling fine before I cleared out the NHL coaches and hired new ones during the season. Now it wants to freeze up and act like it’s loading seems like every other game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->