NHL 20 Discussion Thread

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
and since no one replied to my question I am going to purchase the game only for that fact and from what I read franchise mode is very deep now.

Only like $49 at Walmart too
the franchise mode is much better with the coaches, scouts, and line chemistry that has been put in. my only big gripe with franchise mode is that is unbelievably easy to find MED elite players in the 4-5 rounds, especially from russia. i only play franchise mode and NHL threes which is a mix of just pure arcade hockey and NHL 3 on 3 arcade from 2012. if you have two friends to play with it is pretty fun, really fast paced and no penalties.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
the franchise mode is much better with the coaches, scouts, and line chemistry that has been put in. my only big gripe with franchise mode is that is unbelievably easy to find MED elite players in the 4-5 rounds, especially from russia. i only play franchise mode and NHL threes which is a mix of just pure arcade hockey and NHL 3 on 3 arcade from 2012. if you have two friends to play with it is pretty fun, really fast paced and no penalties.

I purely do Franchise I believe the LAST NHL I played was 18 with McDavid on the cover and that franchise mode was severely lacking. I am also sort of spoiled by 2K franchise mode. But NHL 20 from what I read looks MUCH more in depth than 18.

I get really into building my franchise and love storylines.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I purely do Franchise I believe the LAST NHL I played was 18 with McDavid on the cover and that franchise mode was severely lacking. I am also sort of spoiled by 2K franchise mode. But NHL 20 from what I read looks MUCH more in depth than 18.

i haven't played 2K in a while but i think the only big difference is you don't have owner interaction as in-depth as it is in 2K. there is owner mode but i turn it off because the coaching, scouting, and roster building is all i'm really interested in. if you're just into franchise mode i would say it would be worth it.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
i haven't played 2K in a while but i think the only big difference is you don't have owner interaction as in-depth as it is in 2K. there is owner mode but i turn it off because the coaching, scouting, and roster building is all i'm really interested in. if you're just into franchise mode i would say it would be worth it.

LOL last 2K I played was 2k17 so IDK how much they have also updated it but I enjoyed the feature were u could talk to players any time and there was a bigger social media storyline aspect in it. Hopefully NHL has kept up.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

I'm also interested in the be a GM improvements...

In that respect.. how is NHL 20? I'm looking for an upgrade on 17.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'm also interested in the be a GM improvements...

In that respect.. how is NHL 20? I'm looking for an upgrade on 17.
Franchise mode saw a large boost in NHL 19 and it looks like NHL 20 features another big boost, so I'd say yes, but I haven't played NHL 20 yet.

Reactions: Ratboy

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Comparing to NHL18, the Franchise mode in NHL20 is a huge change.
The scouting system is completely different, then you have the coaching change and stuff plus the trade finder.
I am not far enough to renewing players yet but from what I have read, it seems like your rating and stats in the league will play a role instead of just rating.
The exp I did was I checked trade finder for a winger I didn’t need in the beginning of the season, padded his stats and do trade finder again near TDL and there were more trade proposals and the return is much better.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
First game I played as my Bruins in this game. I know its pre-season but beating the Sabres 8-2. May need to make the sliders harder. Penalties sliders still need to lower. Skating is much improved. I will need to get used to some of the franchise aspects.

Kinda miss Doc and Eddie already. TV format is kinda weird IMO

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Bought every year from 93-18 (went Faceoff 97 and 2K6 & 6 instead) but stayed away last year as I’ve been underwhelmed by the current gen games.

I’m getting the itch.

Thoughts? Maybe if I temper my expectations going in?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Ones needs to be nerfed for the giants. Its the only build that stands a chance because you just get rocked as every other build.

That or make the build standard for everyone.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can't believe i wasted a $50 dollar gift card on this game. Waste of money.

Already deleted it off my harddrive.

Reactions: Frosty415

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Bought every year from 93-18 (went Faceoff 97 and 2K6 & 6 instead) but stayed away last year as I’ve been underwhelmed by the current gen games.

I’m getting the itch.

Thoughts? Maybe if I temper my expectations going in?
If you are someone who preferred previous gen and/or love any of 09-13, do not get this trash game.

Reactions: Frosty415

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The new play by play guy is horrible. He yells the whole time like every play is the greatest thing he's ever seen. Not a big deal as I just turn it off.

Just got the game yesterday played some hut and I'll start a franchise mode soon.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
I noticed some prospects are missing from the lastest roster update. Boqvist, Frost, Veleno, Samorukov, Vilardi and Beaudin, there's probably more that i don't know. they seem to have this obvious problem every year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Anyone know the major names missing in the recent roster update? Don't want to start my franchise until I see who is and who isn't there.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I noticed some prospects are missing from the lastest roster update. Boqvist, Frost, Veleno, Samorukov, Vilardi and Beaudin, there's probably more that i don't know. they seem to have this obvious problem every year.
These are players that were under a different license before the season started, but now fall under the PHPA license (AHL, ECHL) which requires the player to sign a waiver.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
so basically the new roster update is worse than the original rosters

You'll have to wait until november to get a more accurate roster.
giphy.gif

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You'll have to wait until november to get a more accurate roster.

Is there anyway to get lost players like Veleno & Boqvist into franchise mode?

What about using the old rosters, moving them to a different/created team, and merging with new rosters?

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Is there anyway to get lost players like Veleno & Boqvist into franchise mode?

What about using the old rosters, moving them to a different/created team, and merging with new rosters?

I think the players just disappear but I never tried so...

Last edited:

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Figured I’d give it a try with Gamestop having it for 44.99. Knew that BaP, the main mode I like was getting neglected again.

it really baffles me that some of the issues that plagued the last few releases get neglected again with some new ones. Some are minor but it just show how much lack of care there really is for anything other than the extra money making. Same hair color issues where the colors don’t match. Music Slow down during the loading screens. The horrible commentating. I’m sure I’m forgetting more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad