NHL 20 Discussion Thread

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
so basically the new roster update is worse than the original rosters
It’s been an issue for over a decade, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.

Unfortunately, the PHPA doesn’t seem like they’re going to change their media rights policy any time soon and there’s not much EA can do about it.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Any tips for beating the CPU on superstar?
Any strategies you guys have found helpful? Any specific types of players?

Reactions: David71

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
These games will continue to be a joke until they stop making body checks/playing the body non-functional if you collide with another player while they're in the middle of certain animations. If I hit somebody, it should work 100% of the time. Absolutely no exceptions. The game has a lot of problems but this is by far the biggest one.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Any tips for beating the CPU on superstar?
Any strategies you guys have found helpful? Any specific types of players?

When in defensive zone, don't ''run'' after the players. Stay in a lane, keep em on the outside and put pressure when the time is right. Use L2 for better body postion.

If you skate all over the place, the cpu goes god mode with the passes.

If you play this game with the left joystick constantly touching the rim, you are not playing right.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I haven't tried it yet but i thought ea mentioned there is a way to combine certain legend players with current teams rosters in franchise mode. If so how does it work? Is fantasy draft the only way to do it?

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Good Job, EA Sports! ‍♂️

73537307_10158926082764418_7001132095066079232_o.jpg

(Year 3 in Franchise).

Reactions: belair

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Not a fan of this one. Glad I didn’t pay full price for it. Gameplay is pretty bad and shot animations seems to be the only change. There’s somehow less space to work with too, which I didn’t think was possible.

I’ve owned every NHL since 1993 so this isn’t some knee jerk reaction. The regression in gameplay in the last 10 years is inexcusable.

I’m talking strictly offline gameplay btw, online isn’t for me anymore.

Reactions: Frosty415

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Why do contracts automatically escalate? I signed a dude at $5 million only to find out that it jumped up to $6.3 by the end of the season.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Why do contracts automatically escalate? I signed a dude at $5 million only to find out that it jumped up to $6.3 by the end of the season.

If you're under the minimum salary cap the game will automatically raise your contracts to meet it.

Playing eashl defense is so frustrating. Poke checking has been completely irrelevant as it's either a trip or your stick just taps their stick and they still keep the puck. I don't know why they've catered this game to the 10 year old kids who wanna just dangle all over the place.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm pretty sure EA sabotages the game lobbies of previous versions once the new game comes out. Nearly impossible to find full lobbies in EASHL on NHL19. Makes zero sense considering it being a part of the EA Vault.

I can almost swear they create troll accounts as well. The game quality drops substantially.

Considering the low quality of product, I can guarantee I'm not the only person out there who refuses to pay full ticket price for their subpar effort every year.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you're under the minimum salary cap the game will automatically raise your contracts to meet it.

Playing eashl defense is so frustrating. Poke checking has been completely irrelevant as it's either a trip or your stick just taps their stick and they still keep the puck. I don't know why they've catered this game to the 10 year old kids who wanna just dangle all over the place.
You have to maintain a proper gap for the stick check to be effective. Your player also needs to be facing the puck.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
You have to maintain a proper gap for the stick check to be effective. Your player also needs to be facing the puck.

I'm mostly talking about when a player is coming down 1 on 1 so I would be facing him and I've found the poke check useless in that scenario and basically just need to use body positioning until my forwards get back.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm mostly talking about when a player is coming down 1 on 1 so I would be facing him and I've found the poke check useless in that scenario and basically just need to use body positioning until my forwards get back.
Yeah, for it to work the majority of the time the puck carrier needs to be holding it out in front of him. If he protects it by deking you're more likely to trip him. If you have the proper gap, meaning stick on puck, you're more likely to swipe it.

Stick lifts on the other hand I've found to be mostly unnecessary because you're better off just using the body to separate player from puck.

When it comes to doing all of this against the CPU though, all bets are off. They have different rules.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
From someone who’s been playing since NHLPA 93 on the snes, it legit irks me how little effort EA has put forth this generation, it’s inexcusable.

last gen NHL games had good franchise and a better be a pro, the fact they stripped bap this gen and ignored it (going into 5 years now) is insane, I’m shocked people defend EA and this game (seen a few in this thread). Be a GM is okay but compared to NBA 2k/FHM/EHM it could have so many interesting and unique ideas instead of the lazy approach EA takes.

they need a year where they focus solely on offline instead of HUT and EASHL.

guess ill stick to Franchise Hockey Manager for another year, this isn’t worth 100 canadian.

bless the ea access trial.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Franchise mode?

Make sure you are at the minimum salary cap, otherwise the game will automatically scale up contracts to ensure that you are.

If you are under, just go into free agency, find a veteran with low overall, and give him a super contract for 1 year. Like a retirement bonus.

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Is the new roster update out yet? Makar, etc in the game? Been waiting for that before throwing down money.

Most guys are in, Makar has been in the game since release. Some guys still left out though. If you're just waiting for the rosters to be fully updated, you misewell just bite the bullet and buy the game.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Most guys are in, Makar has been in the game since release. Some guys still left out though. If you're just waiting for the rosters to be fully updated, you misewell just bite the bullet and buy the game.
Thanks! Yeah I’ve been waiting for the updated rosters. Thought Makar would be a good example but I forgot he played a little last year so he’d be in it either way.

Reactions: Newt91

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Do you play franchise with morale on or off?

I personally started another franchise with morale at off. I found their system unreliable.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I'm amazed people still buy this game with all the complaints annually that never get fixed. I bought NBA 2K19 when it was on sale for $3 just for the hell of it since I'm not a big basketball fan at all and have been having so much more fun in that then I have in the NHL series the past decade or so.

Just take some time off and try out some other games. You'll be glad you did.

If you get the itch to play a hockey game like I did about 3 weeks ago, fire up your last one bought, play it and realize it sucks and be happy you didn't spend another $60+ on garbage.

Reactions: GAMO1992

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad