Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Team is a mess; firing Willie would only move the target from Willie to Jethro. That's why Jethro will keep his "get out of jail free card' in play for as long as possible.

As well it would be admitting that they did something wrong and this group doesn't seem to do that. They continually make the same mistakes, let go people in the office with more experience than themselves, and truly operate at an incompetent level for a professional sports team.

Nope they will probably double down and give him another 3 years.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Megna with 5:06 of PP time last night, third on the team behind a predictable and faded Sedins act......what a terrible coach. One positive note, Virtanen was a far better player under WD in the NHL last year than in the AHL with Green this year. Sure doesn't say much for Green.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Megna with 5:06 of PP time last night, third on the team behind a predictable and faded Sedins act......what a terrible coach. One positive note, Virtanen was a far better player under WD in the NHL last year than in the AHL with Green this year. Sure doesn't say much for Green.

Virtanen had far better linemates in the NHL last year compared to the AHL this year. He hasnt shown the ability to drive a line by himself yet in either league

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Virtanen had far better linemates in the NHL last year compared to the AHL this year. He hasnt shown the ability to drive a line by himself yet in either league

So maybe accept the fact he'll never be that kind of player and instead put him in a position to open up room and create turnovers with his speed and size, in the process creating opportunity for two superior linemates or even unleashing his own shot.

Maybe move him to the left side. This Granlund on the right side with the Sedins seems to be a thing, Erickson is going to be a boat anchor on the right for a long time, and Boeser and even Lockwood play there so why not get him over to the side he appeared to play effectively at times in junior? Especially since they are extremely weak on the left organizationally.

At this point they have nothing to lose.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
So maybe accept the fact he'll never be that kind of player and instead put him in a position to open up room and create turnovers with his speed and size, in the process creating opportunity for two superior linemates or even unleashing his own shot.

Maybe move him to the left side. This Granlund on the right side with the Sedins seems to be a thing, Erickson is going to be a boat anchor on the right for a long time, and Boeser and even Lockwood play there so why not get him over to the side he appeared to play effectively at times in junior? Especially since they are extremely weak on the left organizationally.

At this point they have nothing to lose.

I agree I would rather him develop on the left side as well. Eriksson can play either wing like Burrows so it's not like he will be stuck on the right side forever. Granlunds Sedin experiment is becoming stale already it seems. Forward crew has weak depth atm and losing Rodin and Dorsett messed with a lot of options. Im sure Utica and even Virtanen would be doing better if Megna and Chaput were still on the farm

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
I agree I would rather him develop on the left side as well. Eriksson can play either wing like Burrows so it's not like he will be stuck on the right side forever. Granlunds Sedin experiment is becoming stale already it seems. Forward crew has weak depth atm and losing Rodin and Dorsett messed with a lot of options. Im sure Utica and even Virtanen would be doing better if Megna and Chaput were still on the farm

Then I'd play the hell out of Virtanen on the right with the Sedins or somewhere with Horvat. Horvat and Virtanen at top speed would be a handful.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
watching the last few games, the canucks have compensated for the fall off in sedin play about as well as you can. they still mostly play hard and players on the whole seem accountable. they play a stubborn defensive style i can't recall ever seeing the canucks play. if you hemmed in former teams the way this team gets hemmed in goals nearly always resulted. i don't like the style but i respect the fact they play it for half a period at a time withou letting in a goal and i have no doubt it is not by choice.

in short they are a mediocre team that plays like a decent team. coaching is not the issue.

you can argue deployment of specific players ad nauseum with willie but does anyone really think it would have changed the outcome of the season? what they lack is enough players able to drive offensive play. for a while the sedins and horvat line did that and they looked like a playoff team. now the sedins have dropped off hard. if the sedins bounce back they will win again. it is as simple as that.

which is to say willie is not the problem.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
watching the last few games, the canucks have compensated for the fall off in sedin play about as well as you can. they still mostly play hard and players on the whole seem accountable. they play a stubborn defensive style i can't recall ever seeing the canucks play. if you hemmed in former teams the way this team gets hemmed in goals nearly always resulted. i don't like the style but i respect the fact they play it for half a period at a time withou letting in a goal and i have no doubt it is not by choice.

in short they are a mediocre team that plays like a decent team. coaching is not the issue.

you can argue deployment of specific players ad nauseum with willie but does anyone really think it would have changed the outcome of the season? what they lack is enough players able to drive offensive play. for a while the sedins and horvat line did that and they looked like a playoff team. now the sedins have dropped off hard. if the sedins bounce back they will win again. it is as simple as that.

Actually he is the problem.....The pk and the pp are all about coaching....the road record is about coaching, as is the in-game deployment of ice-time; the decision on who plays goal is about the coaches.

The unwillingness to split up the Sedins, and put a succession of wingers like Granlund, Sutter and Eriksson on their line instead of Hansen is all about coaching. Sticking with that horrific Gudbranson-Hutton pairing was all about coaching. Overplaying AHL plugs like Chaput and Megna, is all about coaching.

This guy belongs in junior hockey, where you just open the gate and give everyone equal ice time.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
the fact that he hasnt glued eriksson with horvat is a disgrace

also megna on the PP wtf

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

You can demote horvat to the minor and dress miller 82 games this season and it would not have change the outcome of the season, does that mean its a good idea?
Part of Willy's job is to develop young players and his deployment is holding them back. Markstrom and horvat are prime example this year. Virtanen and McCann last year (you can argue they shouldn't make the team, but since they are on the team, willy did his best to screw with them).

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
the fact that he hasnt glued eriksson with horvat is a disgrace

also megna on the PP wtf

Yes. Please put Loui with Horvat and Hansens with the Sedins. Voila - two effective offensive lines with Sutter/Granlund providing good depth scoring.

Sedins Hansen
Sven* Bo Loui
Burr Sutter Granlund

Looks decent to me.
* When he returns.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Sedins-Vrbata were very good in 14-15, but Willie refused to put them together in 15-16
Sedins-Hansen were good in 15-16, but Willlie is refusing to put them together this year.

Willie is just a strange man.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
"But Mr. Desjardins, all the numbers show that a goalie's odds of turning in a good performance decrease significantly when starting the second of back-to-back games!"

giphy.gif

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Sedins-Vrbata were very good in 14-15, but Willie refused to put them together in 15-16
Sedins-Hansen were good in 15-16, but Willlie is refusing to put them together this year.

Willie is just a strange man.

hes not strange, hes stubborn, stupid and scared of risks.

i despise him man, god ! i want him gone so bad that ill give my left nut just to see him **** OFF!

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
you can argue deployment of specific players ad nauseum with willie but does anyone really think it would have changed the outcome of the season?

I mean, you play Markstrom a bit more and Miller a bit less and that might've translated into 2-3 more wins. That alone would put the Canucks right in the thick of the wild card race right now and that's without accounting for a lot of the other boneheaded decisions Willie has made through the course of this season.

This is assuming the sole goal is to "make the playoffs" and not "compete in the playoffs" or "stand a good chance at winning the Cup."

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Jake was terrible under Willie this year before he was sent down. The problem is with the player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me, or are there any other posters out there who really feel sad for the Sedins and how Willie is using them.

They're simply not first line scorers any more, yet Willie keeps throwing them out there for big minutes at even strength and on the pp. I'm sure they're proud guys, and must be killing them that they're still being counted on to score but can't.

If Willie loaded up a line with Horvat, Hansen and maybe Eriksson or Sutter and turned them into the first unit, broke up the Sedins and gave them second-line minutes, what's the worst that could happen?....They don't score and continue to lose one goal games?....that's happening already.

It's depressing to me that the Sedins' legacy is being tarnished by a timid, stubborn and unimaginative coach, who refuses to see the obvious.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Is it just me, or are there any other posters out there who really feel sad for the Sedins and how Willie is using them.

They're simply not first line scorers any more, yet Willie keeps throwing them out there for big minutes at even strength and on the pp. I'm sure they're proud guys, and must be killing them that they're still being counted on to score but can't.

If Willie loaded up a line with Horvat, Hansen and maybe Eriksson or Sutter and turned them into the first unit, broke up the Sedins and gave them second-line minutes, what's the worst that could happen?....They don't score and continue to lose one goal games?....that's happening already.

It's depressing to me that the Sedins' legacy is being tarnished by a timid, stubborn and unimaginative coach, who refuses to see the obvious.

I don't understand the obsession with Megna with the Sedins. He has no track record of scoring in the NHL. We have better options with Hansen.

When WD was asked why he isn't putting Hansen with the Sedins, he said because Hansen is better off the rush. Seriously?

The lineups WD is using is like a pro-tank strategy.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I don't understand the obsession with Megna with the Sedins. He has no track record of scoring in the NHL. We have better options with Hansen.

When WD was asked why he isn't putting Hansen with the Sedins, he said because Hansen is better off the rush. Seriously?

Totally agreed. With the amount of top end talents available in the 2018 draft, part of me want WD and benning to stay next season just to ensure us a high pick. Can you imagine with the crap roster benning put together, the crap coaching from WD, sedins being another year older and slower, possibly a full season from gudbranson? How can we not get a top 5 pick!? Lol.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Because Willie thinks he is spreading out his scoring by doing this. He still thinks the Sedins can carry dead weight like Megna. He thinks by having the Sedins/Hansen together he is loading up one line and making another weaker, and having Sedins/Megna together and Hansen elsewhere makes us stronger.

To a point, I get it, but not Jayson ****ing Megna. That's simply grasping at straws, and then to defend it like he does it quite ridiculous. For all the downfalls AV had, he never pulled garbage like this. He liked his depth guys but he played them like such.

The Sedins have had so many different linemates on their wing, that it would probably be easier to list who hasn't played with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad