Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Sucks for Willie having info like this floating around. Dead man walking. I feel for the guy.

Players know it too now. Wonder how that affects things knowing he might not be their coach for long.

I keep saying that this season was basically Willie being used as a sacrificial lamb. If the Canucks flamed out, he gets fed to the lions.

Quelle surprise, we're about 3/4 of the way through the season and he's being hung out to dry.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I keep saying that this season was basically Willie being used as a sacrificial lamb. If the Canucks flamed out, he gets fed to the lions.

Quelle surprise, we're about 3/4 of the way through the season and he's being hung out to dry.

Sorry, but if coaches like Hitchcock, Julien, Vigneault, Gallant and Capuano can be fired anyone can be, including Willie.....if the Canucks limp to another 27th-28th place finish this year, I can't think of a single guy coaching the NHL, coming off two unproductive, non-playoff season, who wouldn't be on a death march to the off-season...just the facts of life in today's NHL.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Sorry, but if coaches like Hitchcock, Julien, Vigneault, Gallant and Capuano can be fired anyone can be, including Willie.....if the Canucks limp to another 27th-28th place finish this year, I can't think of a single guy coaching the NHL, coming off two unproductive, non-playoff season, who wouldn't be on a death march to the off-season...just the facts of life in today's NHL.

Occasionally the coach gets the benefit of the doubt over management. Also, this was more in the vein of the folks talking about how the entire front office is going to be sacked at the end of this season.

It's just gonna be Willie, so Benning and co. can insulate themselves.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Occasionally the coach gets the benefit of the doubt over management. Also, this was more in the vein of the folks talking about how the entire front office is going to be sacked at the end of this season.

It's just gonna be Willie, so Benning and co. can insulate themselves.

Jimbo has already been quoted earlier this year as saying "the team has underachieved"....translation....I assembled a better team than the results on the ice.

You can agree or disagree, but any team in the NHL coming off back-to-back 28th or 27th place finishes, is likely in the market for a new coach at season's end......In fact I can predict that if the Vegas Golden Knights post back-to-back seasons like that, they'd be in the market for a new coach as well.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
just fire him already!!!!

NO.

The only reason to fire a coach mid-season is if you think a new coach will put you into the playoffs. Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and Joel Quenneville combined couldn't get this bunch into the playoffs. The last thing Dim Jim needs is false hope.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
NO.

The only reason to fire a coach mid-season is if you think a new coach will put you into the playoffs. Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and Joel Quenneville combined couldn't get this bunch into the playoffs. The last thing Dim Jim needs is false hope.

dont matter, give the coach the remaining games left to figure out the team then in the off season that is where he can really draw up plans and prepare for the real season.

instead of firing a coach in the offseason and hiring one to progress as the season goes.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Jimbo has already been quoted earlier this year as saying "the team has underachieved"....translation....I assembled a better team than the results on the ice.

You can agree or disagree, but any team in the NHL coming off back-to-back 28th or 27th place finishes, is likely in the market for a new coach at season's end......In fact I can predict that if the Vegas Golden Knights post back-to-back seasons like that, they'd be in the market for a new coach as well.

Yeah, uh, I don't know what you're disagreeing with me on.

Willie is gone at the end of this season.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
NO.

I just want a coach who will play Horvat in offensive situations over Sutter.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
New coach, new approach.

Willie knows it's over, might as well collect that paycheck.

Oh lord, they will treat it as a clean slate. That means UFA shopping, moving assets for pieces that can get us back into the playoffs etc.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Other than the team 'battling' for Willie, I can't think of one good thing he does for the team in terms of systems, ice deployment, lines etc.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Oh lord, they will treat it as a clean slate. That means UFA shopping, moving assets for pieces that can get us back into the playoffs etc.

I don't want Willie fired at the end of the year. If that's the announcement a few days after the season ends, the entire management team gets another go-round. Clear out the people responsible for keeping Willie employed, and let their successors find a new coach.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Other than the team 'battling' for Willie, I can't think of one good thing he does for the team in terms of systems, ice deployment, lines etc.

What was true in the 2014-15 season is true today.

This is the darkest time line.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I suspect they'll at least want to burn this year on his contract. Probably not much point in bringing in until the offseason. When I expect a full review of all hockey ops. We will see who goes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yep. The only situations I see where a coach would survive is on an expansion team or a rebuilding team where contending is seen as years away. Willie being fired with 1 year left on his contract is also the norm.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Why Willie Desjardins is the worst there is.

Goals:

1) Bo Horvat (18)
2) Brandon Sutter (15)
3) Markus Granlund (14)
4) Sven Baertschi (13)
5) Henrik + Daniel (12)

Assists:

1) Henrik Sedin (23)
2) Bo Horvat (21)
3) Daniel Sedin (20)
4) Troy Stecher (15)
5) Sven Baertschi (14)

1) Bo Horvat (39)
2) Henrik Sedin (35)
3) Daniel Sedin (32)
4) Brandon Sutter (27)
5) Sven Baertschi (27)

Points/Game:

1) Bo Horvat (.68)
2) Henrik Sedin (.60)
3) Daniel Sedin (.55)
4) Sven Baertschi (.54)
5) Jannik Hansen (.48)

Points/60:

1) Sven Baertschi (2.02)
2) Bo Horvat (1.88)
3) Alex Burrows (1.47)
4) Henrik Sedin (1.47)
5) Daniel Sedin (1.38)

Primary Points:

1) Bo Horvat (32)
2) Daniel Sedin (26)
3) Sven Baertschi (21)
4) Loui Eriksson (20)
5) Henrik Sedin (20)

TOI:

1) Henrik Sedin (19:15)
2) Brandon Sutter (19:11)
3) Loui Eriksson (18:53)
4) Daniel Sedin (18:31)
5) Bo Horvat (17:38)

PP Points/60:

1) Bo Horvat (4.48)
2) Daniel Sedin (4.09)
3) Markus Granlund (4.07)
4) Henrik Sedin (3.68)
5) Sven Baertschi (3.07)

PP TOI:

1) Henrik Sedin (179:16)
2) Daniel Sedin (175:57)
3) Brandon Sutter (163:01)
4) Loui Eriksson (136:56)
5) Bo Horvat (107:13)

***Forwards only***

Is there really anything else that needs to be said? I can't recall another coach utilizing his best player like this. Bo Horvat is objectively the best player on this team and it isn't even close. This statistical analysis doesn't even take into account things such as line mates and deployment, which would make it even more of a joke.

Is this man really this blind? We have a budding young star on this team and WD is doing everything in his power to be a detriment to that, yet Bo keeps on excelling. The only silver lining in all of this is that we have the most unstoppable tank weapon known to mankind: Willie Desjardins. You want to get the least out of your roster to ensure a high pick? He's your man.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
New coach, new approach.

Willie knows it's over, might as well collect that paycheck.

You know, the assumption is that the Canucks still stumble through the remainder of the season, before making a decision on the coaches...and that's probably the route they go.

But if you could make a strong case, that if the Canucks run up the white flag and dump some veterans at the deadline, essentially going young, calling up Travis Green for the final 20 games might make a lot of sense....just to see what he could do....Comets have enough coaching depth to withstand his loss.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Is there really anything else that needs to be said? I can't recall another coach utilizing his best player like this. Bo Horvat is objectively the best player on this team and it isn't even close. This statistical analysis doesn't even take into account things such as line mates and deployment, which would make it even more of a joke.

Is this man really this blind? We have a budding young star on this team and WD is doing everything in his power to be a detriment to that, yet Bo keeps on excelling. The only silver lining in all of this is that we have the most unstoppable tank weapon known to mankind: Willie Desjardins. You want to get the least out of your roster to ensure a high pick? He's your man.

Yes there is, there's never enough to be said about how much Willie has tried to turn Horvat from a possible 1C into a ****ing 3C.

And this is one of the many reasons for Willie to gtfo - he has no idea how to develop prospects, all he knows is relying on vets days in days out.

You know, the assumption is that the Canucks still stumble through the remainder of the season, before making a decision on the coaches...and that's probably the route they go.

But if you could make a strong case, that if the Canucks run up the white flag and dump some veterans at the deadline, essentially going young, calling up Travis Green for the final 20 games might make a lot of sense....just to see what he could do....Comets have enough coaching depth to withstand his loss.

I remember people saying they don't want Green as we've seen enough AHL coaches flopping. But I think what you said can be beneficial: fire WD before season end, then bring in Green to see what if anything he can do with the roster for the remainder of the season. If it does not work out we'll seek a veteran coach candidate.

I do have two concerns: 1) how will us employ Green? I have no knowledge of the conditions to recruit an interim coach; 2) if Green is not the choice, will there be a suitable candidate in the off season? I'm not sure if Hitchcock or Gallant will remain free at that point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember people saying they don't want Green as we've seen enough AHL coaches flopping. But I think what you said can be beneficial: fire WD before season end, then bring in Green to see what if anything he can do with the roster for the remainder of the season. If it does not work out we'll seek a veteran coach candidate.

I do have two concerns: 1) how will us employ Green? I have no knowledge of the conditions to recruit an interim coach; 2) if Green is not the choice, will there be a suitable candidate in the off season? I'm not sure if Hitchcock or Gallant will remain free at that point.

There's no way Green is stupid enough to take a 20-game 'show me' coaching contract and completely sabotage his career when this bad team keeps losing.

I'm not a big fan, but he's young enough and well thought-of enough that he can wait until someone gives him a 3-4 year contract.

Right now, you just ride out Willie for the year and make changes in the summer when there are better options available. Or, hopefully, that will be the decision of a new management group.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
There's no way Green is stupid enough to take a 20-game 'show me' coaching contract and completely sabotage his career when this bad team keeps losing.

I'm not a big fan, but he's young enough and well thought-of enough that he can wait until someone gives him a 3-4 year contract.

Right now, you just ride out Willie for the year and make changes in the summer when there are better options available. Or, hopefully, that will be the decision of a new management group.

OK I totally understand what you are saying about Green.

I'm worried about how much longer will there be good coaches for us to employ when season ends.

And the not-unlikely scenario that those lunatics may let WD keep his job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad