Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Best stat I heard today was from Brough on the mid-day show: Megna has played 51 power play minutes this season, and all he's generated is three shots on net.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I don't understand the obsession with Megna with the Sedins. He has no track record of scoring in the NHL. We have better options with Hansen.

When WD was asked why he isn't putting Hansen with the Sedins, he said because Hansen is better off the rush. Seriously?

The lineups WD is using is like a pro-tank strategy.

Alain Vigneault turned an AHL player into a 30 goal scorer. I can do the same here. It's like poetry, they rhyme. :dunce:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sutter only being good scoring off the rush was brought up in another thread and it led me to this thought...why is he seeing top PP time, yet Jannik Hansen doesn't? Willie's biggest knock on Hansen is that he scores off the rush and is more of a north/south guy, yet that is exactly what Sutter is.

Does Willie not realize how big of an idiot he looks like? Clearly not.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Yes, but,

1) How much money is Sutter making when compared to Hansen,
2) Who signed Sutter and who signed Hansen,
3) Which one is a "foundation" player?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Megna.

A guy that can't score at all.

Megna.

According to Willie, Megna is on the first unit pp, because he's a right hand shot.....but then so is Hansen who had 22 goals last year.

But it says something when an AHL lifer is on the top unit; and a waiver wire pickup like Boucher is on the second unit....explains why they're the 28th ranked pp....stunning that there are two teams which are actually worse.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
Fire him in the off-season. It's not like bringing in someone new right now will put the Canucks in the playoffs.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
It's infuriating that even with the limited options he has with the lineup he still manages to make idiotic decisions with what's left.

Yeah.

I mean I almost want to defend him saying that he's not the one who put this roster together. And that's true.

But it's like ... Dude is eating a steak and was given two spoons and a butter knife. Decides to just roll with the spoons. Butter knife ain't great but come on.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Fire him in the off-season. It's not like bringing in someone new right now will put the Canucks in the playoffs.

With 20 games left there is no point. Canucks have to go on an unreal streak to end the season just to even have a chance.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
With 20 games left there is no point. Canucks have to go on an unreal streak to end the season just to even have a chance.

Let's see, 58 pt, 22 games left.

Maximum possible point = 22X2+58=112, which is obviously not happening.

I'm gonna give the Canucks a low ball chance saying OK this year 90 points gets you into playoffs. So we need 32 out of the remaining 44 points.

16/22=73%

Once again, we gotta play the remainder of the 22 games with records that will put Washington Capitals to shame.

OK boys, let's go out there and grab those 16 wins!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
22x2 + 58 is 102, not 112.

Related: We are perilously close to reaching the threshold wherein we can no longer score 100 points.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sutter only being good scoring off the rush was brought up in another thread and it led me to this thought...why is he seeing top PP time, yet Jannik Hansen doesn't? Willie's biggest knock on Hansen is that he scores off the rush and is more of a north/south guy, yet that is exactly what Sutter is.

Does Willie not realize how big of an idiot he looks like? Clearly not.

I don't disagree with your overall point, but I think Sutter has a better wrist shot from a standstill than Hansen. And for whatever reason, Hansen is just one of those guys who isn't seen as a PP guy while Willie isn't the first coach to put Sutter on the 1st PP unit. It's kind of like Burrows. Even when Burrows was scoring all those goals alongside the Sedins even strength he didn't really a whole lot of PP opportunity with the Sedins.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't disagree with your overall point, but I think Sutter has a better wrist shot from a standstill than Hansen. And for whatever reason, Hansen is just one of those guys who isn't seen as a PP guy while Willie isn't the first coach to put Sutter on the 1st PP unit. It's kind of like Burrows. Even when Burrows was scoring all those goals alongside the Sedins even strength he didn't really a whole lot of PP opportunity with the Sedins.

Where else was Brandon Sutter regularly used on the first PP unit? He's never been high in PP time.

When Burrows wasn't with the Sedins, Kesler played there very successfully.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Where else was Brandon Sutter regularly used on the first PP unit? He's never been high in PP time.

When Burrows wasn't with the Sedins, Kesler played there very successfully.

Sutter spent some time on the 1st PP unit with the Penguins. Burrows was never a 1st unit PP regular despite being Sedins' regular linemate. That's my point.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
And how successful was that?

Here is how it went for him (the PP itself, not the first unit thing)

PIT 2012-13 1:10 PP TOI/Gm, 56:37 PP TOI, 3 G, 1 A, Team PP 23.5%
PIT 2013-14 1:05 PP TOI/Gm, 88:31 PP TOI, 2 G, 3 A, Team PP 23.4%
PIT 2014-15 1:31 PP TOI/Gm, 121:38 PP TOI, 3 G, 2 A, Team PP 19.3%

VAN 2015-16 2:20 PP TOI/Gm, 46:54 PP TOI, 1 G, 0 A, Team PP 15.8%
VAN 2016-17 2:50 PP TOI/Gm, 168:03 PP TOI, 4 G, 3 A, Team PP 14.5%

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Willie will be let go in the offseason, that's pretty much a given now after the Julien rumours and the fact that the Canucks will surely have another bottom 5 finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad