Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's probably normal for teams to switch back and forth like this.

Marc Crawford - Proven NHL coach
Alain Vigneaut - Promoted from AHL
John Tortorella - Proven NHL coach
Willie Desjardings - Promoted from AHL
________________ - Proven NHL coach?

Julien almost certainly would have been their top target. I'm gonna put my money on Bob Hartley - has a cup ring and got that Calgary-Weisbrod connection.

AV had a Jack Adams nomination with Montreal. He was fairly proven.

I'm personally not a fan of rookie coaches and believe that most coaches seem to hit their stride in their 2nd NHL head coaching gig.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm personally not a fan of rookie coaches and believe that most coaches seem to hit their stride in their 2nd NHL head coaching gig.

On that note though, I'd love if we could get a coach on their second stint who actually did a good job during their first stint, rather than a Scott Arniel or Claude Noel who imploded their first time around. Fingers crossed (but not holding my breath) that Tampa does something stupid for once and fires Cooper after their down season. More (but not much more likely), Detroit might throw Blashill on the hot seat with the playoff streak ending this year.

An established guy like Gallant would certainly be much better than Willie, but I'd rather the Canucks pull a Leafs/Babcock and target an elite coach, even before the rebuild has been set in motion. Don't settle for the Paul Maurice's or Mike Yeo's. Having a guy in the Babcock/Julien/Sutter/Boudreau/Trotz/Cooper tier makes a big difference.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

In a year he missed the playoffs. His record with Montreal was not good. Being a Jack Adams award means nothing. Paul MacLean won the Jack Adams award. I don't think he's a top head coaching candidate or should be. Do you?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Hey guys, Habs fan here. I understand a lot of folks here were interested in hiring Julien to replace WD. What is the consensus on hiring Therrien to replace Desjardins instead?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, Habs fan here. I understand a lot of folks here were interested in hiring Julien to replace WD. What is the consensus on hiring Therrien to replace Desjardins instead?

Not the biggest Therrien fan, but at this point I'd probably rather have an actual pigeon coaching this team than WD.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
...actually, does anyone know if the chair they used in practice during the AV days is still under contract?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
...actually, does anyone know if the chair they used in practice during the AV days is still under contract?

Really they just need to hire one potato. That one potato can replace all of Linden, Benning, Weisbrod and Willie and get better results.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Therrien would honestly be a decent fit for a low-talent team like this that will win their games by playing the trap.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I would be alright with Crow, but any coaching change is rather pointless unless you also get rid of Benning/Weisbrod.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Very interesting. So they were looking at a replacement. At the very least, we can conclude that they are not dead set on having Desjardins here.

Not sure what this says about Management's ability to make a coaching hire? Does this mean they are a going concern beyond this season? The timeline is a bit distorted considering that WD should have already been fired some time ago.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
We'll that's a little bit encouraging. At least Benning and Co. were doing their due diligence.

Yeah, I'm sure he has a relationship with Julien and he did what he was supposed to do.

I'm kind of surprised Julien jumped at MTL given that he could have just started a bidding war in the offseason, but obviously his heart is there and the Canucks weren't an attractive option to him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sucks for Willie having info like this floating around. Dead man walking. I feel for the guy.

Players know it too now. Wonder how that affects things knowing he might not be their coach for long.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Agree with this. Especially with Vancouver being a more challenging media market than most, and with large number of young players this team is going to have to transition to a larger role in the next few years, a rookie coach to replace Willie D would be a bad call IMO.

Ken Hitchcock is the guy I want. Brought an absurd number of young players along in St. Louis.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When a guy like Julien comes on the market the Canucks have to do their due diligence and kick the tires on him....but just reinforces the fact that barring some miraculous run to the playoffs, the Canucks will be in the market for a new coach in the off-season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ferraro just said the rumored contract for Julien is $25M over 5 years. We wouldn't have paid that anyway.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not really surprising, it should be fairly obvious at this point that Willie won't be back next season. Benning has that Boston connection as well.

Yes, the end appears to be nigh for Willie.....21 more games after this weekend, and finally a long overdue change behind the bench.....and if Jimbo doesn't watch it, and can't get off the schneid on the trade deadline, the broom coming out could claim him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad