Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hansen played very well with the twins LAST YEAR. Not in like 2009. Last season, when Willie Desjardins was the coach of this same team.

It boggles the mind that he thinks this works worse than Megna or Sutter.

It was THE MOST RECENT SEASON.

As with all things Willie, it's just completely baffling.

It's like he just completely forgot that that's what he did last year and it worked better than anything this year.

And, if they are looking at trading Hansen, it serves the double purpose of showcasing him and potentially improving his production/value.

I'd also love for someone in the media to ask why Horvat and Eriksson must never, ever play together under any circumstances.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

It's like he just completely forgot that that's what he did last year and it worked better than anything this year.

And, if they are looking at trading Hansen, it serves the double purpose of showcasing him and potentially improving his production/value.

I'd also love for someone in the media to ask why Horvat and Eriksson must never, ever play together under any circumstances.

A team that thinks its still in the playoff hunt will not showcase a player...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't disagree with your overall point, but I think Sutter has a better wrist shot from a standstill than Hansen. And for whatever reason, Hansen is just one of those guys who isn't seen as a PP guy while Willie isn't the first coach to put Sutter on the 1st PP unit. It's kind of like Burrows. Even when Burrows was scoring all those goals alongside the Sedins even strength he didn't really a whole lot of PP opportunity with the Sedins.

Is our PP not bottom five in the league? Sutter is third in PP TOI yet tied 5th in PP points and would easily be passed by every player who regularly gets PP time. Baertschi has 5 PPP's in 68 less minutes.

Sutter is a terrible PP option and his 'good shot' is never used. He literally is just 'there' on the PP. He contributes nothing. You think Hansen couldn't match, or better Sutter's PP production if he was given 168 minutes of PP time this year?

If you gave Stecher, Horvat, Granlund, Hutton, Edler the icetime Sutter gets on the PP, they all easily surpass his totals. There is no excuse or good reason to have Sutter on the PP. None. His PP production relative to his PP TOI is disgustingly bad.

This is my point.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

It's not baffling, Willie explained very clearly at the beginning of the season his reasoning: That Horvat and Hansen are checkers that only scored last season because that's what the team needed and they're team-first guys.

“He [Horvat] knew we needed scoring. So he changed his game to score. So did Jannik Hansen. They went, ‘Yeah, we need scoring, I have to contribute more.’

“But I think both of those guys, the best part of their games is the two-way parts. They’re really good defensively.”

Source.

See? Crystal clear. Now, it's a breathtaking misunderstanding of the difficulty of producing offense in the NHL and it's unbelievable that a person of Desjardins' stature would think so, but don't say it's baffling - this is why Horvat can't sniff the top unit PP or play with "second liners" like Sutter and Eriksson, and this is why Hansen won't go back with the twins.

I am going to post that quote forever and ever. It might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard an NHL coach say.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's not baffling, Willie explained very clearly at the beginning of the season his reasoning: That Horvat and Hansen are checkers that only scored last season because that's what the team needed and they're team-first guys.

Source.

See? Crystal clear. Now, it's a breathtaking misunderstanding of the difficulty of producing offense in the NHL and it's unbelievable that a person of Desjardins' stature would think so, but don't say it's baffling - this is why Horvat can't sniff the top unit PP or play "second liners" like Sutter and Eriksson, and this is why Hansen won't go back with the twins.

Ha, I was actually going to reference that Willie quote re: Hansen. And yeah. He just doesn't have a clue.

And curse that Megna guy for not deciding to score more right now! What a terrible team player! :laugh:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm starting to doubt whether Willie is worthy enough to be our tank general.

I mean it's already established that he's a POS coach who can lead the tank like a delirious idiot, but his style is actively sabotaging the development of our young guys, like Horvat.

Maybe we have him just long enough to gather enough talents while keeping them away from Willie?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Source.

See? Crystal clear. Now, it's a breathtaking misunderstanding of the difficulty of producing offense in the NHL and it's unbelievable that a person of Desjardins' stature would think so, but don't say it's baffling - this is why Horvat can't sniff the top unit PP or play with "second liners" like Sutter and Eriksson, and this is why Hansen won't go back with the twins.

I am going to post that quote forever and ever. It might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard an NHL coach say.

doc-rivers.gif

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
“He [Horvat] knew we needed scoring. So he changed his game to score. So did Jannik Hansen. They went, ‘Yeah, we need scoring, I have to contribute more.’

“But I think both of those guys, the best part of their games is the two-way parts. They’re really good defensively.”

Quoting for Scurr's reaction.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Keep him for a couple more seasons. Players seem to like him.

You might be right, but that won't be enough to save him after what looks like back-to-back 28th place finishes......the only guys currently coaching the NHL who might survive two seasons like that are Babcock and Julien, and they both have six year contracts.

So it's 22 games and counting on the Willie watch.....Thank God.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
willie "scores off the rush" desjardins
willie "right handed shot" desjardins
willie "this ain't the try league, it's the git'r done league" desjardins

...and of course...

willie "real gud" desjardins

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Lol his this ain't the try league but get it done league comment doesn't seem to apply to Megna hey? Oh Willie, your **** is ridiculious.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sutter spent some time on the 1st PP unit with the Penguins. Burrows was never a 1st unit PP regular despite being Sedins' regular linemate. That's my point.

When was Sutter a PP1 regular with the pens? He was their 6th highest forward in PP time per game among players with more than 25gp each season he was there, so he couldn't have been a regular on the first PP for very long.

As I said, when Burrows wasn't playing on the PP with the Sedins, others were doing well in the spot, and the first PP unit was not as hopelessly, horrendously ****** as the current one. Who has been killing it so hard that it doesn't make sense to give Hansen a shot? You think Megna is doing so well that it doesn't make sense to try anything?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is our PP not bottom five in the league? Sutter is third in PP TOI yet tied 5th in PP points and would easily be passed by every player who regularly gets PP time. Baertschi has 5 PPP's in 68 less minutes.

Sutter is a terrible PP option and his 'good shot' is never used. He literally is just 'there' on the PP. He contributes nothing. You think Hansen couldn't match, or better Sutter's PP production if he was given 168 minutes of PP time this year?

You asked me a question, I simply answered it. In my mind, the PP won't improve until the Sedins are off the 1st unit. You can put Sidney Crosby in Sutter's spot and things won't improve all that much. After all these years of watching the Sedins struggle on the PP I think it's clear that the problem lies with them. You can change parts but at the end of the day it's always just short term success.

I don't know what you mean by Sutter's shot isn't used. Is that alternative facts? If you combine PP shots on goal with missed shots, Sutter's shot totals are second among forwards to Daniel.

I actually don't think Hansen would match or better Sutter's production. I am not saying that Sutter is that effective it's just that the PP sucks. Sutter has 4 PP goals, which is one less than Daniel and Eriksson. And he does win faceoffs on the PP, which Hansen cannot do.

When was Sutter a PP1 regular with the pens?

I never said Sutter was a PP1 regular with the Pens. Read again.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You asked me a question, I simply answered it. In my mind, the PP won't improve until the Sedins are off the 1st unit. You can put Sidney Crosby in Sutter's spot and things won't improve all that much. After all these years of watching the Sedins struggle on the PP I think it's clear that the problem lies with them. You can change parts but at the end of the day it's always just short term success.

I don't know what you mean by Sutter's shot isn't used. Is that alternative facts? If you combine PP shots on goal with missed shots, Sutter's shot totals are second among forwards to Daniel.

I actually don't think Hansen would match or better Sutter's production. I am not saying that Sutter is that effective it's just that the PP sucks. Sutter has 4 PP goals, which is one less than Daniel and Eriksson. And he does win faceoffs on the PP, which Hansen cannot do.

And I simply stated why your answer makes no sense. I think Sidney Crosby would make the PP1 pretty good, but hey, that's your opinion. Sedins haven't been good, but when you have Sutter standing on an island, it's not much of a PP.

Okay, Sutter's shot is being used. Those four PP goals have been great. He's by far the worst player on any of the PP units. We, somehow with such a terribly built roster, have better options.

I think Hansen would better Sutter's PP production had he been given 200 PP mins. I don't think it would be hard for anyone in our top six to better that considering all the players below Sutter in PP production have at most a couple less points with Sutter at 170 PP mins and others not really near that at all.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
When you got a guy like Kesler in his prime as an option - not hard to see why (at least during their "peak").

No kidding.

This is not Mike Gillis's presidents trophy winning canucks anymore. This is the Jim Benning circus show with special guest Willie desjardins. The fact that Burrows couldn't supplant kesler on the greatest pp unit in team history is hardly a justification for Megna playing over Hansen, Horvat, or just about any ****ing body else on this joke of a roster.

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016

:laugh:

Wow you are full of gems.

First you have no problem playing Megna as the extra attacker when we are looking for a goal and now Sidney Crosby wouldn't improve a bottom 5 PP? Give me some of what you are smoking because I'd like to be in a different reality too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad