Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

durojean

May 29, 2007
Put HF Habs as the GM.

We know our prospects. We know the league. We always have good solutions for our problems and we are often right before the organisation is. I feel like we are the solution for the Habs. We would win the cup

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
Language issues will always be relevant for the Montreal Canadiens and its Francophone fans . It's never going to change . Montreal Canadiens won't betray its Francophone fans .

Those people you are taking about, like the 30 that showed up when Randy C. was hired are not FANS!!!
Definitely not fans.
Year is 2020 and we have these xenophobic zealots who fear a sports team would lose their identity if they were to use a coach that couldn't speak their native language.

Grow up. The best of the best should be coaching the Canadiens. We shouldn't compromise for anything less than that. If they happen to be a girl, an anglophone, chinese gender fluid lizard i could care less the only language i care about is our win-loss record. Sick of how pigeon holed this team is in being able to hire gms, coaches etc

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Definitely not fans.
Year is 2020 and we have these xenophobic zealots who fear a sports team would lose their identity if they were to use a coach that couldn't speak their native language.

Grow up. The best of the best should be coaching the Canadiens. We shouldn't compromise for anything less than that. If they happen to be a girl, an anglophone, chinese gender fluid lizard i could care less the only language i care about is our win-loss record. Sick of how pigeon holed this team is in being able to hire gms, coaches etc
That's all well and good and might be true ? The bottom line is the Montreal Canadiens aren't just a hockey team they are a business in a Francophone Province. They won't ever abandon the Francophone fans to suggest Ownership should ignore their wants isn't reality for the Montreal Canadiens .

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's all well and good and might be true ? The bottom line is the Montreal Canadiens aren't just a hockey team they are a business in a Francophone Province. They won't ever abandon the Francophone fans to suggest Ownership should ignore their wants isn't reality for the Montreal Canadiens .

Then they be destined to fail winning a cup seeing as they are unable to adapt.

Reactions: HabsFather

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Habs won a fair amount of cup with french speaking staff.
Habs owner is not particularly interested in winning a cup, so...

There you go,kudos.:clap:The bottom line is profit.

Habs sure did win cups with french staff,players,just like other teams,some even had non north american staff or players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Great another high school dropout. Here’s a thought there used to be a saying the avg CEO was a C student then Bill Gates and revenge of the nerds happened, we live in a technocratic society now, intelligence matters. The era of Les Boys hockey is over...

For all the scruffiness of Belichick, he’s elite prep school trained (Phillips Academy & Wesleyan), let alone growing up influenced by US Naval Academy. Go get intelligence, “no nonsense, cares about winning” is BS, everyone wants to win, the present day manager needs to possess out of the box intelligence to problem solve.

Habs keep cycling through high school dropouts, times come to go find hockey’s Belichick.

I like your idea in principle. I'm personally working on my second Master's - and it's in Analytics.

But intelligence can come without formal education. And reading talent can come through the university of playing and watching tons of hockey...

Guy Boucher has at least one master's degree, but he seems like a failure as a coach. Maybe see if you can get McGill educated Matthew Darche out of Tampa - but test his abilty to read talent, not just how many degrees he has.

Yzerman was a pretty good GM in Tampa. I don't think he has any degrees.

Last edited:

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
Hey I have a tough question for our MODO : Firing MB for me is the same as Firing CJ or the season (we have another WORD for that) .... so since we can't fire a season upon the goodies around that want a playoff push should we ban any thread upon our organization that talk about tanking down a coach or a GM until we are excluded of playoff cuz all the fuzz is the same (and yet we are facing this paradox) ....

Don't get me wrong but shouldn't we all comply for the good sake of this franchise or are you just a bunch of ill-billy tossing on your emotions and rampaging on few of us with all these standards ??

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Roy isnt any of these guys.
He would be more emotional, for better or worse.

He's the same as Gauthier, Bergevin and Houle in the sense that not one of them would have been GM of any other team than the Montreal Canadiens, no one would even interviewed them or think about them for the job of GM…..just like Patrick Roy would never been consider for a GM outside of Montreal. Only in MTL people consider him...not even Team Canada junior considered him.

There's a reason for that, he's simply not qualified for the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Where have you been for the past 27 years ?they've been screwing ALL fans.I don't think the fans give a rats ass at this point what f@#$cking language the coach speaks.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's not all francophones - just a segment. The problem is no one knows how large of a segment. Maybe Molson should go out and hire a polling company to find out.:sarcasm:

I'm sure it's not the majority…..having said that, a big majority only follow what the medias are saying (the casual fans).

Should be not too hard to sell the fact that for other GM to deal with a guy like Bergevin who speak English like a 3rd grader is not the best way to go to conduct business. Agents, Referees, Players….all speak English. I think that relation is more important than the relation GM-Fans-Medias.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There you go,kudos.:clap:The bottom line is profit.

Habs sure did win cups with french staff,players,just like other teams,some even had non north american staff or players.
nobody was complaining there was too much french speaking when Bowman was HC or Savard/Gainey were GMs.

there wasnt any doubt these guys wanted to bring (another) cup in Montreal though.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
nobody was complaining there was too much french speaking when Bowman was HC or Savard/Gainey were GMs.

there wasnt any doubt these guys wanted to bring (another) cup in Montreal though.

I certainly don't recall any complaints, came afterwards if I remember correctly. And then only lack of french speaking.

No doubt,but they weren't the owners.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Well if they are satisfied with a limited pool of options then they deserve limited success.;)

"They" would be outmatched by "We" if this message board had an actual pair of testicles and decided to coordinate every friend/fan they could assemble at the Bell for a loud demonstration on Bergevin's incompetence.

We're fine. This chair is nice.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm sure it's not the majority…..having said that, a big majority only follow what the medias are saying (the casual fans).

Should be not too hard to sell the fact that for other GM to deal with a guy like Bergevin who speak English like a 3rd grader is not the best way to go to conduct business. Agents, Referees, Players….all speak English. I think that relation is more important than the relation GM-Fans-Medias.
Actually, I think you're wrong on that point. Most GMs speak only one language and some of them not very well. I'm more than positive no GM ridicules MB for speaking a second language. Some here in Montreal laugh at him because they think his French is so-so but all the other GMs don't speak French and assume he knows two languages well. And by the way I don't think MB's English is that bad. It's probably head and shoulders better than the English of many Montrealers and yes I'm including some anglophones in there. He makes mistakes like "diamond in the rough" but I've heard many anglophones make worse errors.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Actually, I think you're wrong on that point. Most GMs speak only one language and some of them not very well. I'm more than positive no GM ridicules MB for speaking a second language. Some here in Montreal laugh at him because they think his French is so-so but all the other GMs don't speak French and assume he knows two languages well. And by the way I don't think MB's English is that bad. It's probably head and shoulders better than the English of many Montrealers and yes I'm including some anglophones in there. He makes mistakes like "diamond in the rough" but I've heard many anglophones make worse errors.

His accent is terrible and his English is made of about a 100 words than he keep repeating over and over again. I'm sure no one make fun of him, but i'm sure it's easier to speak English between folks that it's their natural language (like 90% of the GM out there).

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
His accent is terrible and his English is made of about a 100 words than he keep repeating over and over again. I'm sure no one make fun of him, but i'm sure it's easier to speak English between folks that it's their natural language (like 90% of the GM out there).
His accent isn't terrible and his vocabulary is larger than 100 words. He doesn't know how to build a winning hockey team. That's reason enough to fire him. We don't need to make up petty reasons to fire him.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
His accent isn't terrible and his vocabulary is larger than 100 words. He doesn't know how to build a winning hockey team. That's reason enough to fire him. We don't need to make up petty reasons to fire him.

It wasn't a reason to fire him….it's a reason to not restraint ourselves and hire the best candidate possible, even if he speaks English.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
What about a guy like Brodeur? I just have a feeling he's a smart calculated guy and he's been learning for years now... I know, this sounds like Bergevin when we hired him, but I don't know what to think anymore at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad