Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What he does as the deadline approaches will be telling. None of this halfway business anymore.

Molson has talked about the 3-8 year plan recently. So he preaches patience as does MB.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't really know what Timmins is responsible for though and there is no evidence he would be fit for the job. He's been here forever too, a change would be most welcomed.
This team needs a full house cleaning. Only people who should remain are Bouchard and Ducharme. They've been here short term. The rest...they can all GTFO.

I'd give Timmins a shot and I told you my reasons. And the clean house might come but not so sure it comes in the short term. You know what scares me the most? Bergevin is fired and Molson is left doing the interviews for the next GM. Be careful with what you wish for is what I say

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What he does as the deadline approaches will be telling. None of this halfway business anymore.

Molson has talked about the 3-8 year plan recently. So he preaches patience as does MB.

I doubt they do much at the deadline. Kovalchuk might be traded. But if Tatar or Petry are traded, it's cause some team gives us pry away value. Habs have been consistent with focusing on the youth and futures and I don't see this changing

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
The bottom line is Bergevin and Molson do not care about winning......so why should the fans invest their time and money.....they have said for 8 straight years they will not mortgage their future....every other team does mortgage their future ...to try and win....and the cheap ass owner will not spend cap space.

Reactions: angusyoung

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I never realized that vocal critics had put little thoughts on the day after they get their wish. Amazing. Some names here gave me cramps, thanks for the laughs guys.

Id hire a president of hockey operations. And let him do his job.
Bergevin would among those names that gave you cramps.............had he not already been hired 8 years ago.....and proceeded give you a whole lot of nothing since.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

How in the world did he even say that with a straight face. :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd give Timmins a shot and I told you my reasons. And the clean house might come but not so sure it comes in the short term. You know what scares me the most? Bergevin is fired and Molson is left doing the interviews for the next GM. Be careful with what you wish for is what I say

Who cares...Bergevin is going to lead us nowhere, so I'll gladly take the risk on whoever else comes in next regardless of who does the hiring.
We are not discussing what you think will happen, you're discussing who you'd like to see appointed next, so it's all hypotheticals, not whether or not it will happen.
So if we can decide ourselves, again, house cleaning and that includes Timmins. He's done nothing to merit this job.

Reactions: PaulD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who cares...Bergevin is going to lead us nowhere, so I'll gladly take the risk on whoever else comes in next regardless of who does the hiring.
We are not discussing what you think will happen, you're discussing who you'd like to see appointed next, so it's all hypotheticals, not whether or not it will happen.
So if we can decide ourselves, again, house cleaning and that includes Timmins. He's done nothing to merit this job.

As long as we don't trade any part of our youth and futures for short term gains, all is good. With Bergevin or not, these are growing pain years. You are just very desperate to have him fired where you think the new management is for sure better. I get that but not so sure you are considering various outcomes. Another rookie GM learning on the job is the last thing we need. Timmins would be a rookie but he is already with our team and we know what we got with him. I feel he focuses on the youth and futures even more which I support.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
"The team needs an enema"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As long as we don't trade any part of our youth and futures for short term gains, all is good. With Bergevin or not, these are growing pain years. You are just very desperate to have him fired where you think the new management is for sure better. I get that but not so sure you are considering various outcomes. Another rookie GM learning on the job is the last thing we need. Timmins would be a rookie but he is already with our team and we know what we got with him. I feel he focuses on the youth and futures even more which I support.

I have explained this to you so many times, I don't understand how you still don't know how you don't know my stance.
No, I don't think whoever comes in next is ''for sure better'', I said this in the very post you just quoted ''I will gladly take the risk on whoever comes next'', meaning, ya next guy might be also bad but at this point I don't care because we have 0% chance of success with Bergevin. Whoever comes in, well we at least have 1% chance that he's better and that's all I need at this point. 1% is better than 0%.
Timmins has been here forever and looking at how he's been incapable of selecting high end talent with his first round picks or bring in a real top center over his years, I have zero confidence in him leading us.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
not Timmins, he should be the 1st gone, promote Sean Burke who worked with Brodeur with Team Canada in the past

I rather promote Timmins to see what he can do in the short span but with a guy like Brodeur as the President for him to work with. Last thing we need is to hire a rookie GM from the outside of the organization and allow them to learn on the job like we did with Bergevin.

Success comes when organizations are patient. Yes, the rebuild through the draft did not happen in the first 5 years but I do see our youth and prospects being solid where we cna keep building on it.

Desperate to make drastic changes is not something I support. Unless a guy like Yzerman was available.

Reactions: Frank JT

durojean

May 29, 2007
I think we should name a President and give him complete control.

For what it's work. I still believe that with 2 more bad season we will be a contender in 5 years and making the playoffs in 3.
Development is already better with Bouchard at the helm of it.

With Caufield / Romanov / Suzuki / KK as young players.
Two good players this year and the next to add to our prospect pool
With Gallagher / Drouin / Domi in their best years in 3 year. We have something that could look really good.

Biggest problem right now is the way we are developing at NHL level. Julien is not good for the kids because he does not trust them easily. The fact that he's rather play Thompson at center instead of Poehling in a losing season in the hope of getting 4 more points at the end of the season is a proof of that.

The fact that he benched Fleury and put Kulak instead is another.

The fact that he has to scratch Weal because if not he will use him too much is an other problem. Weal was playing fine and did not deserve to be scratched but we have to if we don't want Julien to use him like he is one of our star players. That is a big problem in itself.

Weal Thompson Cousins should be our fourth liners no matter what.

I'd like to see that kind of line up

Danault Domi Kovalchuk
Tatar Suzuki Lekhonen
Poehling Kotkaniemi Weal
Weise Thompson Cousins

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The bottom line is Bergevin and Molson do not care about winning......so why should the fans invest their time and money.....they have said for 8 straight years they will not mortgage their future....every other team does mortgage their future ...to try and win....and the cheap ass owner will not spend cap space.

The problem was that except for the last 3 years, the other 5 of those 8 years have been an almost total failure at the draft. You're not going to get ahead in the NHL without any talent injections coming from the amateur draft. About the only talent coming in has been MB's trades and free agency signings which were mostly positive.

That basically reset the rebuild to summer 2017. Right now the Habs have four 21 year old or younger guys on the NHL roster that they drafted, and then another 2 prospects who could be called "blue chip" (Caufield and Romanov) so there's hope.

I'm kind of surprised to see so many nominations for Timmins as GM and very little criticism of him when at the end of the day it was the losing streak from the amateur scouting & drafting that got us into this problem. Not that I'm trying to encourage the gutter crew here, but surprised Timmins has managed to float above it.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I rather promote Timmins to see what he can do in the short span but with a guy like Brodeur as the President for him to work with. Last thing we need is to hire a rookie GM from the outside of the organization and allow them to learn on the job like we did with Bergevin.

Success comes when organizations are patient. Yes, the rebuild through the draft did not happen in the first 5 years but I do see our youth and prospects being solid where we cna keep building on it.

Desperate to make drastic changes is not something I support. Unless a guy like Yzerman was available.

I prefer keeping Bergevin then putting Timmins GM

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If there is no clear cut GM candidate available at the moment it is best to carry on with Bergevin. Because if you force a change when timing is wrong, chances are it will be a Gauthier type mistake.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If there is no clear cut GM candidate available at the moment it is best to carry on with Bergevin. Because if you force a change when timing is wrong, chances are it will be a Gauthier type mistake.

Yessss shift 3rd gear old man!!!!!

i363084.jpg

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I prefer keeping Bergevin then putting Timmins GM

Pro scouting has been much better since Timmins replaced Le Toupet. Amateur scouting has been much better since Churla replaced Timmins (although Timmins still leads the draft and IMO has now complete carte blanche for drafting, which I'm not sure he had 100% before he moved up).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad