Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Alotes really cares, probably because of our past and the history of the French colonisé

Really? that's kind of silly isn't it.I don't get the connection between entertainment and language. I like what I like regardless of which language or race or whatever I'm viewing.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Really? that's kind of silly isn't it.I don't get the connection between entertainment and language. I like what I like regardless of which language or race or whatever I'm viewing.
I don’t agree with them, but I understand there point and it’s going farther then only the language

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Roy is Houle
Roy is Bergevin
Roy is Gauthier

A familiar name that wouldn't get even an Asst-GM job on any other 30 teams….he would only be hired here in Montreal.
At least, if i would have to pick a french familiar name i would picked Brodeur 300 times ahead of Roy...at least he's learning the job as we speak and has been an Assistant-GM for a couple of years.

Roy isnt any of these guys.
He would be more emotional, for better or worse.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You can post that without any sense of irony only if you completely ignore Timmins's record before MB was hired. Timmins was bad BMB (before MB). The period from 2003 to 2011 was almost as bad as 2012 till the present. With a 10th OA in 2003, one of the deepest drafts ever, he comes out with a sub-par, listless player like Andre K. In 2012 he picks the winner Galchenyuk and in 2018 he lands us KK. Many still have visions of a #1 C in KK but Subconsciously, they're already formulating excuses such as bad development, bad management and bad coaching. KK is another of Timmins's first round specials. TT's only successful draft was 2007 and he and his fans have milked it for all it's worth. I know because I was one of his fans.

I've heard about the Peter Priniciple - getting promoted to your level of incompetence but I don't think there is a Principle that explains getting promoted out of your level of incompetence and into your sphere of competence.

Two names mentioned by other posters make a hell of a lot of sense: Mark Hunter and Ron Hextall. But we can forget about them because they don't speak the language of our distinct society.

Edit: Bobby Smith is another good name and he speaks franglish.

Then why has Timmins been promoted from scouting to AGM? You try to make it about 'promotion', completely leaving out my point, which is, the two jobs are different and requires a different skill set.

I work on the floor, I'm pretty good at what I do, but I might even be better as a supervisor. Actually, im pretty sure I'd be better at that position, because I would use several of my skills that are not being used in my present job.

You draw a narrative that fits your bias. I'm simply recognizing our own ignorance of how exactly any of them would do. So you can pretend you know, but you don't.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don’t agree with them, but I understand there point and it’s going farther then only the language

I guess not being a '' local '', not aware of all things going on around. No idea what is being mentioned,but just thinking sports and entertainment are what they are as is.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
Keep Bergevin.
Fire Claude.
Hire Kirk Muller as head coach.
Get rid of Trevor Timmins. (Garbage Scout)

Not ready to trade Price or Webs. Not until i see next season the make up of Cole Caufield, Ryan Poelhing, Nick Suzuki etc

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The Montreal Canadiens reside in a Francophone Province . Anyone that doesn't speak French will never be General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens .

And that's where the mentality in the organization needs to change.
They need to hire the best possible candidate for any position and deal with the language part after.
Stop recycling old garbage just because of the language!!

Reactions: DXStriker

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Then why has Timmins been promoted from scouting to AGM? You try to make it about 'promotion', completely leaving out my point, which is, the two jobs are different and requires a different skill set.

I work on the floor, I'm pretty good at what I do, but I might even be better as a supervisor. Actually, im pretty sure I'd be better at that position, because I would use several of my skills that are not being used in my present job.

You draw a narrative that fits your bias. I'm simply recognizing our own ignorance of how exactly any of them would do. So you can pretend you know, but you don't.

For the most part Timmins has been unable to recognize and get talent as a head scout yet you throw all that history out because we don't know.

We also don't know if a lousy nurse will make a good doctor, or an incompetent cop will make a good commissioner, so let's give them a shot and see. I'd rather bet on someone who hasn't displayed average or below average skill at his present job.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I get the coach and some players....the GM doesn't speak that much to the media and we are in 2020 where everything can translated.

And since Bergevin uses english words at every sentence, i don't see anybody going mad about it.

But of course...if no media has the balls to put it out there, doubt things will change.

Having said that...its a form of racism, a form of intolerance and a form of xenophobia.... As a francophone, i thought we were better than that
It's not all francophones - just a segment. The problem is no one knows how large of a segment. Maybe Molson should go out and hire a polling company to find out.:sarcasm:

Reactions: angusyoung

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
991686C1-1233-4BCE-A91B-D533600C93FA.jpeg

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
And that's where the mentality in the organization needs to change.
They need to hire the best possible candidate for any position and deal with the language part after.
Stop recycling old garbage just because of the language!!
Language issues will always be relevant for the Montreal Canadiens and its Francophone fans . It's never going to change . Montreal Canadiens won't betray its Francophone fans .

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Language issues will always be relevant for the Montreal Canadiens and its Francophone fans . It's never going to change . Montreal Canadiens won't betray its Francophone fans .

Those people you are taking about, like the 30 that showed up when Randy C. was hired are not FANS!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad