Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm sure it's not the majority…..having said that, a big majority only follow what the medias are saying (the casual fans).

Should be not too hard to sell the fact that for other GM to deal with a guy like Bergevin who speak English like a 3rd grader is not the best way to go to conduct business. Agents, Referees, Players….all speak English. I think that relation is more important than the relation GM-Fans-Medias.

Short of your gratuitous insults levelled at Bergevin, I agree (those just make you sound like an idiot).

A President hockey Operations can be the bilingual link with the public as local relations is a big part of the job in the first place.

The GM doesn't need to be bilingual, not with two pressers a year, maybe three. On those occasions, the President can be resent and field the questions in French, IMO.

An argument for a bilingual head coach is more easily made because of the regular post-game scrums but, again, I don't think it is an essential requirement.

However, somewhere in the management, somebody needs to be able to communicate with both primary elements of the fan base.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Short of your gratuitous insults levelled at Bergevin, I agree (those just make you sound like an idiot).

A President hockey Operations can be the bilingual link with the public as local relations is a big part of the job in the first place.

The GM doesn't need to be bilingual, not with two pressers a year, maybe three. On those occasions, the President can be resent and field the questions in French, IMO.

An argument for a bilingual head coach is more easily made because of the regular post-game scrums but, again, I don't think it is an essential requirement.

However, somewhere in the management, somebody needs to be able to communicate with both primary elements of the fan base.

Oh the President can be bilingual and i also understand the need for the coach…..but the GM, for me it makes more sense that speaks perfectly the language used in all business situations even if he can't speaks the language of the fans.

Having said that, it's one insult to say that Bergevin speak like a 3rd grader cause sadly he is, should i've said that he didn't speak well?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

One guy could be hired to do just that .

But we know that will never happen.

Its as unlikely as winning a play off series is now.

This team has the lowest bar in all of sports. Set there for one reason and one reason only. To keep the GM his job.

Last edited:

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I heard on tsn690 today the guest (not sure who it was) was saying that he spoke to Molson a few days ago and Molson told him he trusts the plan and didn't see the point of having another GM to continue the same plan) .

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I heard on tsn690 today the guest (not sure who it was) was saying that he spoke to Molson a few days ago and Molson told him he trusts the plan and didn't see the point of having another GM to continue the same plan) .

Didn't hear it, but that's what I've heard as well. He clearly has a hold of Molson for the near future. Good or bad, that's up to the individual.

My opinion: if Marc Bergevin was a chef, he'd find a way to get 35% off on truffles only so he can bake them in the oven.

Reactions: PaulD and vokiel

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I never realized that vocal critics had put little thoughts on the day after they get their wish. Amazing. Some names here gave me cramps, thanks for the laughs guys.

Id hire a president of hockey operations. And let him do his job.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bobby Smith. Halifax is the premier hockey franchise in the Q and he's a big part of that.

Plus, he won't let Q talent go unnoticed with his drafting.

Or trade with Tampa for Brisebois..:laugh:

Not to mention Halifax has some of the best amateur scouts with all of the talent they have drafted and developed. I wouldn't mind seeing those people hired.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He's the same as Gauthier, Bergevin and Houle in the sense that not one of them would have been GM of any other team than the Montreal Canadiens, no one would even interviewed them or think about them for the job of GM…..just like Patrick Roy would never been consider for a GM outside of Montreal. Only in MTL people consider him...not even Team Canada junior considered him.

There's a reason for that, he's simply not qualified for the job.

But Patrick was considered for GM elsewhere at a point where he still wanted to coach, so your theory doesn't hold (he was interviewed). The reason he was not getting the job is simple, he wanted to coach and GM (he ended up taking Colorado coaching job on the condition that he would have semi-GM responsibilities). Roy's results with the Remparts as a GM are pretty good (of course junior hockey is cyclical more than the NHL, he is currently rebuilding).

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
But Patrick was considered for GM elsewhere at a point where he still wanted to coach, so your theory doesn't hold (he was interviewed). The reason he was not getting the job is simple, he wanted to coach and GM (he ended up taking Colorado coaching job on the condition that he would have semi-GM responsibilities). Roy's results with the Remparts as a GM are pretty good (of course junior hockey is cyclical more than the NHL, he is currently rebuilding).

Since Colorado, there's not one NHL team that want anything to do with Roy….as a coach, GM or whatever...they don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. What he did in Colorado was unprofessional and proved that he's a one man show that don't worked well with others and that's what it looks like to begin with considering the powers he was asking. There's a reason he gone back to his Remparts.

I like Roy the goaltenders, one of my all-time Habs…..but he's no GM, look around the league. GM are supposed to be calm, in control, cerebral, patient and calculated, the complete opposite of Roy.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I never realized that vocal critics had put little thoughts on the day after they get their wish. Amazing. Some names here gave me cramps, thanks for the laughs guys.

Not sure if serious...
You expect internet posters to draw up a lost of candidates as if they're working in industry as VPs or consultants??

How the hell are people here supposed to know who'd be an actual good candidate? We dont have any information to actually know anything.
The only thing we agree on is whoever is in charge now has been a failure and is continuing to be one, there is no point in moving with the same staff.
Who comes in after...i dont know. Can you draw me a list of all the current GMs, their assistants, the GMs in all the minors as well, with all their experience and accomplishments..? Once that's done, can you tell me what are their philosophies, visions, and strengths?..

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Bergevin is giving the entire league alot of laughs! The joke is on us. The sooner they give the keys to anyone else, the better we will be. Youppi would be an upgrade.
Sorry to hear you are cramping!! lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin is giving the entire league alot of laughs! The joke is on us. The sooner they give the keys to anyone else, the better we will be. Youppi would be an upgrade.
Sorry to hear you are cramping!! lol

Actually, other GM's are probably hesitant to trade with Bergevin at this point. I don't think he is a genius GM or among the best but I do believe he is trending much better in the last few years vs prior to that. People rather hire a rookie GM and do a Bergevin re-do (potentially)? How about we stay patient and wait for the right guy to become available? Being desperate to make any moves is not smart for the future of our team IMO

Are we really evaluating our season on making the playoffs when most of the Bergevin haters thought we were a bottom 10 team heading into the season (even with a healthy roster)? What did we add from last year's roster to make us think that it's playoffs or we fire our GM?

Based on what I see, we need to target the President role before the GM. Start at the top and work your way down. I am a big Timmins fan and if we can find a savvy President (hockey operations), for him to work with, I'm down for this type of change. Timmins would focus on futures and this is what we need to continue.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I'm never sure if I'm reading "discussing the next GM" or "dissing the next GM"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would you want to promote Timmins?

Cause he knows our team and since Dudley left and Timmins was promoted to AGM, Bergevin has trended much better. I think the risks are low if we give Timmins a shot but the idea is we also hire a real President for him to work with.

I like what I see with Timmins. He handles the press well and he appears to be a patient type which is what we need. We need to keep the futures rolling in and don't stop. This is how we turn things around cause trades and UFA signings to improve any team has limitations. We know all about this or we should anyways

I don't hate Brodeur but I rather not hire another guy from the outside to be our GM and he comes in as a rookie GM. Timmins on a interim role to see what he can do in the short term is smart IMO. He already knows our system and I think he deserves a shot.

Molson as the CEO (Business), Brodeur as our President (Hockey operations) and Timmins as the GM. I can support this. It's less disruption and I think Molson can get behind this as well.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cause he knows our team and since Dudley left and Timmins was promoted to AGM, Bergevin has trended much better. I think the risks are low if we give Timmins a shot but the idea is we also hire a real President for him to work with.

I like what I see with Timmins. He handles the press well and he appears to be a patient type which is what we need.

You don't really know what Timmins is responsible for though and there is no evidence he would be fit for the job. He's been here forever too, a change would be most welcomed.
This team needs a full house cleaning. Only people who should remain are Bouchard and Ducharme. They've been here short term. The rest...they can all GTFO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad