Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Montreal Canadiens reside in a Francophone Province . Anyone that doesn't speak French will never be General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens .

I get the coach and some players....the GM doesn't speak that much to the media and we are in 2020 where everything can translated.

And since Bergevin uses english words at every sentence, i don't see anybody going mad about it.

But of course...if no media has the balls to put it out there, doubt things will change.

Having said that...its a form of racism, a form of intolerance and a form of xenophobia.... As a francophone, i thought we were better than that

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
The Montreal Canadiens reside in a Francophone Province . Anyone that doesn't speak French will never be General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens .

I think this too but I am wondering if we hire A French President even a big name French President ... If that opens up the possibility of a English GM so the president can be there the 5 Times a year that the GM talks

I never understood the GM part anyway . I know the Coach talks everyday so fine but the GM literally talks like 5 Times a year . If we had a Serge Savard (Just using a new) type who is a respected French speaker for President who can talk at the same time

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Fire Bergevin asap, a message needs to be sent to the fan base to at least give us some hope. I could care less who runs things until a permanent replacement is found, things simply cannot continue to keep going as they are.

Bergevin has painted himself into a corner by not picking a direction, his constant statements about making the playoffs and not wanting to commit to a rebuild need to be his undoing, he had his shot and has proven over and over again that he is not equal to the task, let's move on.

He's perpetually in a reactive mode rather than proactive. Always behind the times,misses the boat. Lateral insignificant moves opposed to bold ones that could improve the roster.

But who knows,maybe dats the plan and moneybags is dictating that making money is more important than winning a cup,and he is winning in that regard.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I get the coach and some players....the GM doesn't speak that much to the media and we are in 2020 where everything can translated.

And since Bergevin uses english words at every sentence, i don't see anybody going mad about it.

But of course...if no media has the balls to put it out there, doubt things will change.

Having said that...its a form of racism, a form of intolerance and a form of xenophobia.... As a francophone, i thought we were better than that
Als new owners dosen’t speak French and it’s the only thing we hear about the sale is that they don’t speak French. Imagine if the Habs hired an English GM

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

They want a General Manager that can communicate in both French and English . Its that simple.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He didn't even offer him a contract...

Right. Don't recall exactly how it all played out,but was it that they had a choice of keeping either Koivu or Kovalev and not both and chose to pursue Kovalev? which didn't work out anyways.Pathetic regardless how it turned out,but treating Koivu like that was deplorable,like they did with with.......with your pic actually. lol.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You do know scouting and manager are two different jobs, right?

Not that I want Timmins, as there are many candidates I'd also consider, but the reality is neither you nor me knows how he'd actually do.

Same goes for Roy, Hunter, Quintal, Brodeur, Brisson and any of the other names thrown around.

The only ones I'm sure wouldnt be better than Bergevin are most of those who work in the media. They are there instead of being already in the league for a reason. They just don't have what it takes. Sure there's probably an exception out there, just not worth digging through all that dirt.
Of course I do. Howver, it seems very odd to promote the main reason why Bergevins era was so unsuccessful

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I think this too but I am wondering if we hire A French President even a big name French President ... If that opens up the possibility of a English GM so the president can be there the 5 Times a year that the GM talks

I never understood the GM part anyway . I know the Coach talks everyday so fine but the GM literally talks like 5 Times a year . If we had a Serge Savard (Just using a new) type who is a respected French speaker for President who can talk at the same time
Geoff Molson is currently Owner/ President of the Montreal Canadiens . He's bilingual and likely wants his General Manager to be as well.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Roy is a lot more proven than Brodeur as a GM, I wonder what people are thinking...

It’s been 5 years that Brodeur is learning the job in different important positions + He has been GM of Team Canada and he was his own agent so he has experience in contract negotiations. He had the same cheminement of Yzerman before he was GM of Tampa.

Roy is not even in the top 5 of the best GM in the QMJHL

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Right. Don't recall exactly how it all played out,but was it that they had a choice of keeping either Koivu or Kovalev and not both and chose to pursue Kovalev? which didn't work out anyways.Pathetic regardless how it turned out,but treating Koivu like that was deplorable,like they did with with.......with your pic actually. lol.

I don't think there were cap issues since there were like 10+ UFAs that summer. Also he offered Kovalev a contract but then moved on to his plan B quickly when Kovalev didn't sign immediately so he didn't seem to see him as much of a priority either. That was right after the 100 year anniversary season collapsed and I don't think Gainey was very happy with the vet leadership as the season fell apart. Also lots of stories of cliques in the room.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

It's a very vocal minority that's against it. Unfortunately, the French media is part of that minority...

MTL is bilingual. I'm sure 99% of fans just want a cup.

Reactions: DXStriker

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Als new owners dosen’t speak French and it’s the only thing we hear about the sale is that they don’t speak French. Imagine if the Habs hired an English GM

Who cares what language whomever speaks,is it relevant to the job? I just don't get it,sorry.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't think there were cap issues since there were like 10+ UFAs that summer. Also he offered Kovalev a contract but then moved on to his plan B quickly when Kovalev didn't sign immediately so he didn't seem to see him as much of a priority either. That was right after the 100 year anniversary season collapsed and I don't think Gainey was very happy with the vet leadership as the season fell apart. Also lots of stories of cliques in the room.

Ya could be about the clique thing,Koivu and Kovelv were not simpatico to be polite and they had to choose which alpha to get behind. Thanks for the refresher.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It’s been 5 years that Brodeur is learning the job in different important positions + He has been GM of Team Canada and he was his own agent so he has experience in contract negotiations. He had the same cheminement of Yzerman before he was GM of Tampa.

Roy is not even in the top 5 of the best GM in the QMJHL

Good point about Brodeur.
But how do you know about Roy's performance?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Go look at the RDS and TVA Sport page, it’s not the minority who want them to speak French
I mentioned the French media. They don't represent the majority of fans though.

I'd be OK with Brodeur though. Get Koivu and Robinson on board in some capacity whether it's scouting or coaching.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Good point about Brodeur.
But how do you know about Roy's performance?

I follow alote the QMJHL and Roy is not a good GM (except the last TDL where I need to say that I was impressed by his work). He has more money then every one to bring Americans and euro players and he’s not winning anything (except the 1st year where it wasn’t his team). He loose alote of his trade, there drafting is not that strong. I have alote of exemples that make my dosen’t want him like the fact that he trade Kucherov to Rouyn to keep Nick Sorensen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad