OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Emery with a chance to get revenge against Arsenal. No Auba or Laca in the starting 11.

hansolobadfeelingaboutthis.gif

edit: and there it is 5th minute

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Arsenal have no imagination. They rely on 2 plays: the give-and-go on the wing, and the easily-defended cross from the wing. That's it. The rest of the time is spent passing around, trying to set up for one of those plays.

And Partey is total ass. Just a lot of ass.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well now United can be focus 100% on Liverpool.

with a possible meeting in the final against Unai Emery aka Mr Europa League.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Arsenal have no imagination. They rely on 2 plays: the give-and-go on the wing, and the easily-defended cross from the wing. That's it. The rest of the time is spent passing around, trying to set up for one of those plays.

First rule of Fight Club: never go total ass.

Reactions: g00n

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I didn’t see the game so if there is something in particular you’re referring to I am unaware. I didn’t really like the lineup Arteta threw out there. I much would have preferred Soares and Bellerin at the fullbacks and Xhaka back in midfield.

In general I give guys a season to acclimate to a new team. That is especially true if they are moving to a new league/country. He has also had some reasonable injury issues to slow his transition.

That being said, tomorrow is May 1 so I would have liked to have seen more from him overall at this point. But I’ll give him this off-season and the start of next season before getting too concerned.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I didn’t see the game so if there is something in particular you’re referring to I am unaware. I didn’t really like the lineup Arteta threw out there. I much would have preferred Soares and Bellerin at the fullbacks and Xhaka back in midfield.

In general I give guys a season to acclimate to a new team. That is especially true if they are moving to a new league/country. He has also had some reasonable injury issues to slow his transition.

That being said, tomorrow is May 1 so I would have liked to have seen more from him overall at this point. But I’ll give him this off-season and the start of next season before getting too concerned.

I agree with all of that especially the poor rostering, but they're fighting for CL viability and Euro football participation in general so hard to fall back on too much rebuild expectation, at least for these games. Maybe in a few EPL matches you can have the sort of lapses I'm seeing but not the Euro comps.

The Partey and Willian signings seemed great to me at the time but for some reason there's not been a fit. I'm getting the "cashing in at the country club" vibe the WFT exuded for many years. Not that these guys are total slackers or pulling an Ozil, but they're better players than what they've shown.

With Partey it's been bad decision making (usually a strong point) and horrid touch. Maybe the touch is from the injury, I don't know, but he's moving around fine. There have been SO many unforced errors it's hard to describe them all. I've seen him just kick the ball directly out of bounds from midfield with no challenge and a man wide open. On both goals yesterday he was right there and either did nothing or pulled an ole' move. He's visibly frustrated as well.

I wanted him to play more but something is not right.

It doesn't help that Ceballos has never seemed to fit with the rest of the team and has recently openly admitted he prefers Liga and will probably go back. Ok, fine. It sort of shows. yesterday he seemed to be auditioning and it got the best of him, resulting in some emotional reactions to plays that ultimately got him tossed. Security had to remove him from the sidelines because he wouldn't leave. I also recall he got into a fight with a teammate during practice.

This, along with the super league debacle, is why fans gathered outside Emirates last week. The roster is being horribly mismanaged. And Arteta is still a question mark to me. I think he's doing a good job of drilling the team in systems and concepts but when they get on the field it looks like that's all they're capable of. They don't look like a squad full of world-class talent, they look like a systemized college team going through the motions learned in practice with little creativity or thinking on the fly.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I agree with all of that especially the poor rostering, but they're fighting for CL viability and Euro football participation in general so hard to fall back on too much rebuild expectation, at least for these games. Maybe in a few EPL matches you can have the sort of lapses I'm seeing but not the Euro comps.

The Partey and Willian signings seemed great to me at the time but for some reason there's not been a fit. I'm getting the "cashing in at the country club" vibe the WFT exuded for many years. Not that these guys are total slackers or pulling an Ozil, but they're better players than what they've shown.

With Partey it's been bad decision making (usually a strong point) and horrid touch. Maybe the touch is from the injury, I don't know, but he's moving around fine. There have been SO many unforced errors it's hard to describe them all. I've seen him just kick the ball directly out of bounds from midfield with no challenge and a man wide open. On both goals yesterday he was right there and either did nothing or pulled an ole' move. He's visibly frustrated as well.

I wanted him to play more but something is not right.

It doesn't help that Ceballos has never seemed to fit with the rest of the team and has recently openly admitted he prefers Liga and will probably go back. Ok, fine. It sort of shows. yesterday he seemed to be auditioning and it got the best of him, resulting in some emotional reactions to plays that ultimately got him tossed. Security had to remove him from the sidelines because he wouldn't leave. I also recall he got into a fight with a teammate during practice.

This, along with the super league debacle, is why fans gathered outside Emirates last week. The roster is being horribly mismanaged. And Arteta is still a question mark to me. I think he's doing a good job of drilling the team in systems and concepts but when they get on the field it looks like that's all they're capable of. They don't look like a squad full of world-class talent, they look like a systemized college team going through the motions learned in practice with little creativity or thinking on the fly.

I wouldn’t disagree with any of what you said for the most part. Overall the club is massively underperforming for a number of reasons. And I’m definitely far from sold on Arteta.

But Partey only I’m not going to be too concerned unless I’m not seeing reasonable levels of improvement by the end September next season.

Given their financial straights and likely much poorer relationship with Madrid after the ESL disaster I’m expecting Odegaard and Ceballos to be gone after this season. But Willock and Maitland-Niles have both shown something on loan the second half of the season and deserve a chance to come back and fight for playing time in those same positions. I think they definitely deserve the chance and it more than makes financial sense.

I don’t want the club to get too far ahead of itself and try to run before they can walk and unless Kroenke starts throwing money at the club they can’t afford to do that anyway. Accept what you are at the moment and build from there.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
that’s not where I was going…..just different extreme passions.
That’s where I was going. Europeans chirp from the cheap seats how us Americans are uncivilized because of our social unrest and then they friggin riot over a soccer team.

Having said that, I wish us WFT fans were a 1/4 as passionate about getting rid of Dan Snyder.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That’s where I was going. Europeans chirp from the cheap seats how us Americans are uncivilized because of our social unrest and then they friggin riot over a soccer team.

Having said that, I wish us WFT fans were a 1/4 as passionate about getting rid of Dan Snyder.

I don’t know. At the end of the day this is a basic protest IMO, and not a depending on your political affiliation ‘mostly’ peaceful one either. And it most certainly doesn’t come anywhere even remotely close to meeting my definition of a riot.

And I’ll support pretty much anything that puts the unbelievably selfish ESL owners in a bad light going forward. f*** those asshats...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know. At the end of the day this is a basic protest IMO, and not a depending on your political affiliation ‘mostly’ peaceful one either. And it most certainly doesn’t come anywhere even remotely close to meeting my definition of a riot.

And I’ll support pretty much anything that puts the unbelievably selfish ESL owners in a bad light going forward. f*** those asshats...

right just a little B & E en masse along with destruction of property lol….;)

Hey, Caps fans had legit gripes to riot over McPhee lol…..I still wouldn’t have supported breaking into the arena and damaging it.

this is extremely poor form IMO.

ps - I don’t think the legal definition of riot requires violence. The concerted use or threat of disorder to disturb the peace applies here IMO.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Hey, Caps fans had legit gripes to riot over McPhee lol…..I still wouldn’t have supported breaking into the arena and damaging it.

ps - I don’t think the legal definition of riot requires violence. The concerted use or threat of disorder to disturb the peace applies here IMO.

I don’t really see poor GMing and we’re taking our ball and forming a new league that benefits nobody but us as in any way comparable. But each their own.

And sure in our wonderful new world of words meaning anything we want them to as long as it advances our cause, depending on your feelings about the cause, you might call it a riot. And someone on the other side could call it a mostly peaceful protest.

But by traditional definitions that I grew up with this is a protest and not a riot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah super "meh" on this being close to anything we've had here, in terms of subject matter or severity.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

The fans in the stands saw 8 cops and left. The only thing that could fit the definition of a riot based on "violence" was the brief encounter outside at the barricade where some people up front were grappling or swinging at the vastly outnumbered security force.

By soccer riot standards this was extremely tame, despite the breathless ratings hyping being done by the NBC crew.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The fans in the stands saw 8 cops and left. The only thing that could fit the definition of a riot based on "violence" was the brief encounter outside at the barricade where some people up front were grappling or swinging at the vastly outnumbered security force.

By soccer riot standards this was extremely tame, despite the breathless ratings hyping being done by the NBC crew.

you saw there was a second breach lol?

Sure it’s a fairly tame riot by a bunch of dummies with their faces on camera.

nobody was really comparing their riots to ours in severity, only in topic.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Again because it isn’t an actual riot. A fence and some barricades were damaged. We had plenty of ‘mostly’ peaceful protests this summer with a reasonable amount of looting and burning out of businesses that had nothing to do with the reasons for the protesting.

I don’t see how anyone being intellectually honest can call this a riot. Those trying to get clicks/views honesty be damned? Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad