OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Camera stand was smashed….why so defensive about the term lol? Odd. Friends in the crowd? ;)

Because I believe words have actual meanings and it is important that we use them accurately, not just to puff up our agenda or get undeserved clicks/views.

If everything is a riot then nothing is a riot and when there actually is a full blown without a doubt riot half the people won’t give a shit because they will just assume it is more clickbait. You know, the boy who cried wolf?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A couple of drunk rando yobs tossing camera stands or whatever is hardly a riot. If that's a riot then every sporting event is a riot based on how much shit people break just being everyday dicks.

The fighting with cops in that one outdoor scene is probably the closest argument one could make for a riot. Had that escalated. More like clashing protesters trespassing, then leaving. Rather quickly all things considered.

Meeeehhhhhhhhh.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because I believe words have actual meanings and it is important that we use them accurately, not just to puff up our agenda or get undeserved clicks/views.

If everything is a riot then nothing is a riot and when there actually is a full blown without a doubt riot half the people won’t give a shit because they will just assume it is more clickbait. You know, the boy who cried wolf?

you think these clowns are going to avoid criminal prosecution by simply not calling it a riot? I read you the legal definition but whatever.

I guess we’ll see how law enforcement charges them or not…I’m not caught up on semantics. It’s a poor act IMO to storm the place.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yeah the meaning of words these days is a fun exercise. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may never hurt me. That isn’t taught in kindergarten anymore.

A protest devolved into protestors breaking into a stadium, breaking shit and the game being postponed for safety reasons. Sounds like a riot to me but to each his/her own. As Allen Iverson would say, we are talking about soccer, man, soccer.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

The four points are, trying to find the right words to describe them, comical. Basically, listen to us, let us approve stuff and then let us buy shares so we can buy you (Glazers) out. My response would be, “thanks for your four points, have a great day”.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

The four points are, trying to find the right words to describe them, comical. Basically, listen to us, let us approve stuff and then let us buy shares so we can buy you (Glazers) out. My response would be, “thanks for your four points, have a great day”.

Yeah those aren’t the most realistic of demands. It will be interesting to see what the Glazers come back with. They could try to offer some kind of olive branch with maybe a very watered down version of one of those demands. Or they could completely ignore them and wait for it all to blow over, which it will at some point.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Friday….I’d have the response back to them tomorrow.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Horrid. Blow up that roster.

I think the roster is a reasonable amount better than the results. Honestly I was never a fan of Arteta’s appointment as manager and I’ve seen little overall to change my mind. They are worse than the sum of their parts IMO and that is on the manager.

I wanted Benitez before and he is available now and I’d like to see him lined up to replace Arteta after the season. He isn’t flashy but he will make them better without a doubt.

Arsenal need to accept what they are at the moment, stop dreaming of fighting for the big titles, get their financial house in order, stop the regression, start improving, and actually fight for a European place. If they can do that next season then maybe they can think about fighting for a champions league spot the following season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the roster is a reasonable amount better than the results. Honestly I was never a fan of Arteta’s appointment as manager and I’ve seen little overall to change my mind. They are worse than the sum of their parts IMO and that is on the manager.

I wanted Benitez before and he is available now and I’d like to see him lined up to replace Arteta after the season. He isn’t flashy but he will make them better without a doubt.

Arsenal need to accept what they are at the moment, stop dreaming of fighting for the big titles, get their financial house in order, stop the regression, start improving, and actually fight for a European place. If they can do that next season then maybe they can think about fighting for a champions league spot the following season.

I'm 50/50 on the Arteta vs roster question, tbh. The last paragraph is exactly how I've been thinking.

Maybe I'm not as sophisticated a viewer as most so I could be off base, but I don't see the mini-Pep they probably thought they were getting in Arteta. I don't feel like I'm witnessing a version of Pep's philosophies regarding style and positional fluidity translating to Arsenal at all. I do credit MA for restoring STRUCTURE to the formation and the defense, which was in shambles. But it seems like maybe he's coaching how he was coached as a player, rather than allowing that MCI magic to rub off.

WRT the roster there's surely plenty of talent but it just feels like some of those teams that are thrown together based on paper transactions with little regard for chemistry and fit. What are they built for? Their structured offense is predictable and stale. They have no real transition game, unlike MCI who can punch you in the mouth in a split second. Their midfield play is getting better in terms of possession but is lacking in creativity, despite attempts to beef it up post-Ozil with players like Willian, Odegaard, Ceballos, etc.

Every veteran on that team has a deer in headlights look most of the time rather than either a calm, confident poise or fierce fire. It's f***ing strange.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I find it interesting that Arteta is basically saying he knows the reasons the wheels fell off this season but can’t tell us.

IMO they seemed to be moving in the right direction until the game Aubameyang, club captain mind you, showed up late and was benched for it. But then I think he started the next game and nothing more was ever said about it. That is about when their play really started to decline. He also got malaria on international duty, which didn’t help his play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I find it interesting that Arteta is basically saying he knows the reasons the wheels fell off this season but can’t tell us.

IMO they seemed to be moving in the right direction until the game Aubameyang, club captain mind you, showed up late and was benched for it. But then I think he started the next game and nothing more was ever said about it. That is about when their play really started to decline. He also got malaria on international duty, which didn’t help his play.

It's hard to pin down.

Maybe there's some other locker room drama, or maybe it's much less than that and something tactical. He seemed pretty fired up on the sidelines yesterday and the team on the field appeared mostly BLAH even though so much was at stake. Maybe there's too much of a WFT country club attitude. Which I guess could line up with your Auba lateness theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->