OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Think Total Football like Ajax and the Dutch National team from the early/mid ‘70’s led by Cruyff. Cruyff was then the manager of Barca’s Dream Team in the early ‘90’s where Guardiola was the midfield pivot. Most teams don’t have anywhere close to the level of tactical awareness overall required to play that way without leaving huge gaps defensively when they turn the ball over and inevitably getting punished.

That's exactly what I was seeing, thanks. I'd read about TF long ago but forgot the details.

Have to believe few teams in the EPL can pull it off. Or in any league for that matter. You need smart 2-way, multi-tool players in top condition.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
JFC, Xhaka is an idiot.

Arsenal football IQ worst in the EPL. Again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
blockhead strikes again! What a finish ;)

Predictable outcome. Gunners don't know what they are yet.

I'm baffled at how often they try to play the ball out when pressured. It results in so many turnovers and goals-against. Maybe the youngest guy back there seems to have the most sense and makes the best decisions (Gabriel, non-start today).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Was dumb from the Keeper to no clear
It...passing to him was almost a negative setup.

Dumb from both of them. But Arsenal do that so much it has to be coached. Xhaka called for the ball but had no idea who was around him. Leno does have to just boot that. Only reason not to is "system" or total brainfart.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
man are they pooping the bed.....Salah needs to go. They should have sold high.

Didn't see the whole game but did see a play that matches the knock on him as a selfish player. Long ball taken in the offensive 3rd and he's covered while Mane is streaking through the line, and Salah plays a low-percentage spin-o-rama shot instead of chipping Mane free.

Not much good having the leading goal scorer if you keep losing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Was Van Dijk the glue for Liverpool? Sheesh.
Yes but they also bungled their CB in general. They never replaced Lovren, Matip is never healthy for long and Gomez was another big loss. Fabinho worked in a pinch but then putting Henderson back there as well cratered their midfield work. It'll be interesting to see who goes if they can't finish top four.

Their fullbacks have also been pretty awful whenever I've watched. Not nearly as impactful.

Reactions: Ajax1995

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Was Van Dijk the glue for Liverpool? Sheesh.

Yes but it isn’t like they just lost him in the center of defense. They lost his partner Gomez and their 3rd choice guy Matip. And their 4th guy last year Lovren, they sold in the summer and didn’t bother replacing, which was just dumb. The two guys they brought in in January to try to fill some gaps were also out today. The guys they started there today MIGHT have been their 6th and 7th choices and that doesn’t count the 2 midfielders they’ve preferred to those two most of the year.

I guess this was the nightmare scenario Arsenal were afraid of when they began the year with 8 senior central defenders? Not, Arsenal are just idiots...

Now the rest of Klopp’s selection today I don’t understand at all but given how poorly they have been playing in the league I guess he was thinking how could it hurt.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I was a little surprised if I’m being honest....

The run had to come to an end at some point. ManUre played very well. Their pressing early on especially was pretty amazing. And their all hands to the pump defending afterwards was excellent also. They were clearly incredibly up for the game.

But Citeh individually had some issues. From Gabriel Jesus’ idiotic forward’s challenge to start the game down 1-0 to De Bruyne struggling all day with his decision making they just didn’t have good games.

But none of it makes any difference as far as the title is concerned. At this stage of the game a 11, 14, or 17 point lead is all the same IMO.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The run had to come to an end at some point. ManUre played very well. Their pressing early on especially was pretty amazing. And their all hands to the pump defending afterwards was excellent also. They were clearly incredibly up for the game.

But Citeh individually had some issues. From Gabriel Jesus’ idiotic forward’s challenge to start the game down 1-0 to De Bruyne struggling all day with his decision making they just didn’t have good games.

But none of it makes any difference as far as the title is concerned. At this stage of the game a 11, 14, or 17 point lead is all the same IMO.

I thought this might be the game to end it. Gut feeling.

To me the key difference was poor play in the box from Jesus and Sterling. They both missed some prime opportunities that normally get buried. Also some bad luck.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2021-3-10_8-21-24.png

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It was a crazy game. Porto had Juventus on the ropes several times. Botched line discipline on a free kick cost Juve dearly.

The wackiest thing is Porto were at 10 men for a very long time and still pulled it out. Bad loss for Juve though they mounted a furious comeback that fell short in OT.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Games starting.

If you have Amazon Prime check to see if you can create a profile with CBS All Access, which works with Paramount + now. I have it included with my membership for some reason. This is my wife's doing so not sure of the details.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I just watched the extended highlights of the Juve/Porto game and Christiano Ronaldo’s performance in the wall on the last Porto goal is about as embarrassing as it gets. What an unbelievable wuss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad