WJC: Disappointing showings so far

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Tolvanen will never ''dominate'' or drive the play . He could play NHL , WJ , AHL , CHL he will still play dominate the play in his way : shooting . So for me , it's normal to not see him dominate the play but obviously with some good IQ player on Finland roster and his shot i except more goal

Zadina is not disappointing for me as well , dont except that much too . He's not a driver of the play , and the lack of good defensemen force him to always had bad numerical on the rush , so he pass the game in the corner in OZP . I found him better than last year , not on the result , but in his skills package . Lot more dynamic in his skating and particularly crossover

Lafrenière is a little bit disappointing , but to know him very good , i know that he was not ready to put up point on the board . His game look like Crosby but he's not enough fast now to be good in this tourney . But he is a gamer and if Hunter want some big goal , Lafrenire could make a difference . He will be fine , gave him time and next year he will be dominant .

Personnaly , i'm not a big fan of Dobson and his play is what a think he will give to Team Canada . Bouchard is a disappointment so far , Lundestrom as we'll . Want more of Barratt too

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I don’t understand what people expected from Lafreniere. Puljujarvi didn’t score a goal in his D-1 tournament, McDavid and Crosby were fourth-liners, Dahlin was a 6D.

The only fairly recent standout was Victor Hedman, who made the all-star team in his D-1 tournament.

Reactions: FishManSam

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not to make excuses, but how do you have Zadina/Necas set the world on fire last year, then score 4 goals in three games this year and still keep them apart?

That's just piss poor coaching. The real criticism on Zadina is that he seems to have taken that garbage coaching and checked out rather than step up.

I think he was over it after game one.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Not to make excuses, but how do you have Zadina/Necas set the world on fire last year, then score 4 goals in three games this year and still keep them apart?

That's just piss poor coaching. The real criticism on Zadina is that he seems to have taken that garbage coaching and checked out rather than step up.

I think he was over it after game one.
thats just a lazy excuse for his rather poor play. Even when paired together they were no threat. Seems like they are more PP players in this tourny. Necas has been the better but still needs to step up his game.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
thats just a lazy excuse for his rather poor play. Even when paired together they were no threat. Seems like they are more PP players in this tourny. Necas has been the better but still needs to step up his game.

Putting a player like Zadina with two bums who probably couldn't even succeed in the AHL is a recipe for disaster.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Putting a player like Zadina with two bums who probably couldn't even succeed in the AHL is a recipe for disaster.
but Zadina wasnt any more effective during his time with Necas and/or Kaut. Even on the PP, save for that very nice cross-ice pass to Necas, he hasnt done much. Its quite obvious fans have expected way more than that from him.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
but Zadina wasnt any more effective during his time with Necas and/or Kaut. Even on the PP, save for that very nice cross-ice pass to Necas, he hasnt done much. Its quite obvious fans have expected way more than that from him.

Which would go back to my original criticism of him. He checked out after game 1.

He was done being there by the OT goal. That's on him.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Lundestrom - was a big deal that ducks released swedens only good forward. But he looks average out there

Not exactly sure what you were expecting from Lundeström but he's not the only good forward on team Sweden and that he get's the top 3 most dissapointing players nod from you strikes me as weird. But whatever, it's your list :P

I was hoping to see Alexis Lafrenière, Jack Hughes and see what the big huzzah was about. But Hughes with just 1 game played so far and Alexis hasnt looked all great but he's got another chance next year, still very young.

So not really dissapointed, just wanted to see some more flashes =)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This tournament is very rarely indicative of future success...

I mean, in a tournament where Cody Hodgson and Jordan Schroeder look like future superstars, and Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser look meh, it's really hard to take it that seriously.

You have to know hockey. If you do, this tournament can easily be an indication for future careers. If you judge by pure points production or what different people say(oncluding some analysts) you will of course get all the wrong ideas.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Podkolzin

LOL The guy is a future superstar and much better than a lot of future superstars I whitnessed at the tournament at 17. He is playing really, really big. Amazing vision and passing, drives the play and is basically the best player on a 3rd line as a 17y.o., wins board battles against bigger, older guys AND always completes it with a smart pass afterwards... like Datsyuk. Yes, like him. He has the best hockey IQ on Team Russia.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Eeli Tolvanen has had a rough go this year in total. considering he was supposed to be a difference maker for the Preds and didn't even crack the roster now he a'int going great this tourney either
I think the hype has at least partially to do with it. Too much fanfare too early. If he's smart he will get over it in due time.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Denisenko - Kravtsov - Kostin line for Russia. I thought they would be dominant, but they aren't. They aren't bad, of course, but they must play better.
Only Kostin here, but that was expected by me at least. Kravtsov is good as expected as is Denisenko, but to be that 1st line they need a better linemae and chemistry. This line looks like those two are good on their own, but can't work as a line and Kostin is just a big guy with stone hands and bad decisions. Kravtsov has the skill to beat anyone in this tournament 1 on 1, but he needs other linemates. Denisenko is just not a good fit and would thrive with a different line too. Kostin is just bad.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don’t understand what people expected from Lafreniere. Puljujarvi didn’t score a goal in his D-1 tournament, McDavid and Crosby were fourth-liners, Dahlin was a 6D.

The only fairly recent standout was Victor Hedman, who made the all-star team in his D-1 tournament.

Puljujarvi, McDavid, Crosby and Dahlin were all U17 players. A number of late birthday U18 players (like Lafreniere) have made an impact, Hedman, Ristolainen, Larsson, Draisaitl, Eichel to name a few. The list of great players who did not play in the tournament at that age is quite long however.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Mentioned in the thread already, Bouchard and Dobson, but can we talk about the other Canadian D, as well? Just poor performances all around. Vastly overrated skill sets with the puck and a tame ordinaryness amongst every one of their D. Also, the OHL players haven't been very good, in general, much more impressed with the work ethic and fire (what little there is) from the WHL and Q players. A couple of real down years for the OHL, I think, this past draft and next.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Zadina - 1 assist in 4 games so far. Looks worse than last year
Tolvanen - has khl, olympics, whc, ahl and nhl experience. At this point he should dominate.
Lundestrom - was a big deal that ducks released swedens only good forward. But he looks average out there

Feel free to add players to the list.

BTW, Lundestrom has been great for Sweden. Zetterberg-ish in his play.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Mentioned in the thread already, Bouchard and Dobson, but can we talk about the other Canadian D, as well? Just poor performances all around. Vastly overrated skill sets with the puck and a tame ordinaryness amongst every one of their D. Also, the OHL players haven't been very good, in general, much more impressed with the work ethic and fire (what little there is) from the WHL and Q players. A couple of real down years for the OHL, I think, this past draft and next.

Canada always produces top kids, but Canadian program overall can of course be up and down. Some years there are 10-15 future stars on the team, others there are 1-2 and a lot of Daniel Tkachuks...

I personally felt that it was a bit weak last draft. But, at the same time I think -- lets call them 2-way forwards in lack of a better term -- are really impressive. Some of these guys going in the late 1st or later will become really good picks.

Glass is of course great, can become a border line franchise guy. Others are good too, don't get me wrong. But I don't think it will be one of those 10-15 future stars generation.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't know how you could watch the games and say that. Him and Necas have instant chemistry every time they step on the ice together and their PP has been bad due to lack of zone entry.

Zadina has played 3 good games and a meh one.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Lafreniere is only 17 but considering his draft hype his showing is somewhat disappointing so far. Canada didnt just select him to be there and learn.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
LOL The guy is a future superstar and much better than a lot of future superstars I whitnessed at the tournament at 17. He is playing really, really big. Amazing vision and passing, drives the play and is basically the best player on a 3rd line as a 17y.o., wins board battles against bigger, older guys AND always completes it with a smart pass afterwards... like Datsyuk. Yes, like him. He has the best hockey IQ on Team Russia.

I know what material is made of and that's why Im disappointed about him. His tournament is realy underwhelming so far IMO. He has all the skills but can generate nothing for the moment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad