WJC: Disappointing showings so far

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Did anyone ever consider the possibility that the 2019 crop of 18 and 19 yr old kids in Canada just aren't very good?

Something I've noticed is that for many of these junior aged Canadian kids the U20 WJC is probably the highest level of competition they've ever faced. They've never had the opportunity to play against professionals or even the college level like so many American kids.

Personally I think this puts them at a significant disadvantage against the likes of the NTDP program which really cultivates the best talent south of the border.

Maybe it's time for Canada to consider a NTDP style program here.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Dobson, Jokiharju, Comtois, Tolvanen and Bouchard come to mind as guys who disappointed (so far) relative to expectations.
Tolvanen was the best Finn against Canada and Jokiharju was great too. Tolvanen is just a streaky goalscorer like most snipers.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Did anyone ever consider the possibility that the 2019 crop of 18 and 19 yr old kids in Canada just aren't very good?

Something I've noticed is that for many of these junior aged Canadian kids the U20 WJC is probably the highest level of competition they've ever faced. They've never had the opportunity to play against professionals or even the college level like so many American kids.

Personally I think this puts them at a significant disadvantage against the likes of the NTDP program which really cultivates the best talent south of the border.

They are money still. Just needed better coaching.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Tolvanen was the best Finn against Canada and Jokiharju was great too. Tolvanen is just a streaky goalscorer like most snipers.

Lol no he wasn’t. Tolvanen got stoned when trying to make things happen, his shot is no threat at all now and his one assist late in the game doesn’t make up for 59 minutes of invisibility.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Lol no he wasn’t. Tolvanen got stoned when trying to make things happen, his shot is no threat at all now and his one assist late in the game doesn’t make up for 59 minutes of invisibility.
Lol yes he was. He was visible for 60 minutes and was close to scoring many times. He protected the puck and made constant good decisions with few mistakes.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He botched several silver gilted scoring chances. This is not a positive.
This seems to be a disease every Predator prospect gets. Shooting it right into the goalie’s chest. Creating 20 scoring chances with 0 results. His only point was on an extremely lucky and insane series of bounces.

Yeah he's played 30 games total in NA so far. What's this new breed of fans that gets angry when every kid isn't McDavid lol.
He has played in North America before, he played 2 seasons in the USHL. He looks out of place in an NHL game and the talent doesn’t show.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland

Who would they play? CIS teams?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This seems to be a disease every Predator prospect gets. Shooting it right into the goalie’s chest. Creating 20 scoring chances with 0 results. His only point was on an extremely lucky and insane series of bounces.

He has played in North America before, he played 2 seasons in the USHL. He looks out of place in an NHL game and the talent doesn’t show.

Agreed. Tolvanen is still a young kid with plenty of time to turn things around. But this year (and this tournament) has shown that the hype he received last season was perhaps a little premature.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Agreed. Tolvanen is still a young kid with plenty of time to turn things around. But this year (and this tournament) has shown that the hype he received last season was perhaps a little premature.
Every rankings had him with Pettersson yet he has done nothing on his NHL or even AHL time. He started hot in the KHL but has become what he is. An average player that will hit around 15-20 goals and 30-35 points. That’s about what every single Predators prospect becomes.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Given how none of the star players have shone in this tournament I wouldn't make much of it. The defense has been tight. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tolvanen puts his mark on the outcome today.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Am I the only one who was never into these WJC:s at any point? This year garnered zero interest. Weak overall teams, no stars and wasn't talked about/hyped like it usually is.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Am I the only one who was never into these WJC:s at any point? This year garnered zero interest. Weak overall teams, no stars and wasn't talked about/hyped like it usually is.
I think it's been pretty tight defensively, which certainly makes for hockey that is harder to appreciate. Outside of the Poehling hattrick there haven't been any really impressive offensive performances.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Given how none of the star players have shone in this tournament I wouldn't make much of it. The defense has been tight. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tolvanen puts his mark on the outcome today.
He’s Wearing the Cloak of Invisibility again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad