WJC: Disappointing showings so far

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Zadina
Bouchard

Tolvanen
Kupari
Heponiemi x2. This year plus last one

Hughes (hes been good but far from what I expected, which was to dominate the tourny)

Reactions: bleuetbio

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Easily Bouchard for me. In general sloppy and poor decisions with the puck, not moving well. Not looking good for a kid drafted as high as he was. Also showing poor attitude with the ugly dives. Maybe it’s just me, but why not work harder instead of acting like a clown like that?

Makes sense that the Oilers would have drafted this guy, to fill the Griffin Reinhart spot on their depth chart.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada is hockey and should always expect to get gold. Always when playing in Canada. Sweden should not, thats all. Not winning when it matters the most i think is more about overacheiving in the roundrobin than not being good enough when it counts.
We still always do expect to win gold in hockey, though our expectations are far more reasonable now with the hockey scene being what is is.............we don't consider it our God given right anymore or anything like that.

Maybe it's about overacheiving in the round robin , i can't say for sure, i do think where there is smoke there is fire concerning the medal rounds however,the numbers tell a story, could be wrong though though.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I disagree , i watched two games of his and he has done just fine just does not have enough help
What kind of help does he need? He’s the number one scoring centre in the ushl, he should be driving his own line, not needing extra help. He’s been maybe our 6th best forward so far. Roman, Hrehorcak, Liska, Ruzicka, and Ruzicka have all been better than him imo

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Heponiemi for me.

One of the best players in Liiga, and he has not stood out at all from the rest.

HMs Kupari and Tolvanen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I haven't been overly impressed with Barrett Hayton. He'll make the occasional fancy dangle, but otherwise doesn't seem to do much with it. I don't really know why Hunter uses him as the net guy on the top PP unit, either.

My other disappointment is more of a collective group than an individual player, but I don't think Canada's got that one elite defender that they usually have when they win gold or when they do really well. That one guy who you can tell is a step above the competition out there (ie. Thomas Chabot, Alex Pietrangelo, Ryan Ellis, etc.). Collectively, I'm not saying they've been bad. But none of them strike me as the type who can log 25 minutes and be dominant for Canada.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
We still always do expect to win gold in hockey, though our expectations are far more reasonable now with the hockey scene being what is is.............we don't consider it our God given right anymore or anything like that.

Maybe it's about overacheiving in the round robin , i can't say for sure, i do think where there is smoke there is fire concerning the medal rounds however,the numbers tell a story, could be wrong though though.
Yeah never thought Canada saw gold as their right. Just that they expect that effort.
That might be some of the answer , Sweden not expecting gold(aiming to low), and Sweden burning everything on keeping the roundrobin record alive and not have enough focus and fuel left when i counts. It is not like Swedes as a people are unable to win goldmedals...
This year i dont expect them to go past Switzerland.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
1. Glass - He's been good, and one of Canada's best, but he was playing so much better in the WHL prior. He can take it up a level.

2. Kazakhstan - This team had 0 chance against the big teams, and came out flat against the only team they did have a chance against. Playing okay with a basically PP only game against a dying and sick Swedish team, and their goalies playing above their heads shouldn't be this teams legacy. It was much better. I'm not sure if they have what it takes to beat the Danes in a best of 3 and given their 2001's and 2002's, and 2003'd this is not a country that will be back in this division for a while if they are relegated.

It's not his fault his linemates aren't converting on his feeds. How can Glass control that Tippett keeps whiffing on shots that are put right into his wheelhouse?

Of the forwards, Glass has been the best set up man on the team. He's playing exactly how he should.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's not his fault his linemates aren't converting on his feeds. How can Glass control that Tippett keeps whiffing on shots that are put right into his wheelhouse?

Of the forwards, Glass has been the best set up man on the team. He's playing exactly how he should.

He's playing good, no doubt, as I said one of Canada's best, but he has it in him to be so much better. I really expected him to dominate this tournament.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's playing good, no doubt, as I said one of Canada's best, but he has it in him to be so much better. I really expected him to dominate this tournament.
Again. He's more or less a pure set up guy. But he's not McDavid. Some degree of finish is required from his linemates. Comtois never seems to be in a passing lane when Glass has the puck and Tippett always seems like he's half asleep when Cody passes to him. Like sure there are times Cody is stuck playing the board battle so he's not always in a position to try to set up a play but just as often when he is it's because one linemate is nowhere to be found and the other has decided that the WJC is a good place to forget how to rip a one timer. I mean if you watch any Canada powerplay and Glass is basically the guy controlling the play and distributing the puck, it's just the guys that get it aren't putting it in. I really don't see how that's his fault. His passing accuracy has been next to perfect, his team needs to start converting.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This tournament is very rarely indicative of future success...

I mean, in a tournament where Cody Hodgson and Jordan Schroeder look like future superstars, and Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser look meh, it's really hard to take it that seriously.
Very rarely?

John Gibson set a new record for GAA and SV% for an American goalie at the tournament and was lights out for the American gold medal winning team and finished as the tournament MVP and is now one of the top goalies in the NHL. Vasilevski, who won the best goaltender the year prior was just behind him and is arguably right there with Gibson.

I mean sure. Every year if you look at the scoring leaders there's a name or two of players who have disappointed in the NHL but more of them than not are legit good players to stars. Guys like Hodgson, Schroeder, Pulkkinen etc. are more of the exception than the rule.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Czechs offense: one of the Czechs best offense lineup (on paper) that theyve sent to this tournament in recent years has been extremely disappointing. Especially Zadina.

Denmark: no goals in the entire prelims is horrific. Theres been some bad bottom feeding teams at this tournament throughout the years but at least they managed to score. No goals in the entire preliminary round is an impressively horrible feat.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Very rarely?

John Gibson set a new record for GAA and SV% for an American goalie at the tournament and was lights out for the American gold medal winning team and finished as the tournament MVP and is now one of the top goalies in the NHL. Vasilevski, who won the best goaltender the year prior was just behind him and is arguably right there with Gibson.

I mean sure. Every year if you look at the scoring leaders there's a name or two of players who have disappointed in the NHL but more of them than not are legit good players to stars. Guys like Hodgson, Schroeder, Pulkkinen etc. are more of the exception than the rule.

Its too small of a sample size, players get hot and cold. Just from that 08-09 year half of the top 10 scorers didnt pan out

Reactions: Mitchy

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Very rarely?

I wouldn't say rarely, but wjc is not the best indicator of potential output of a prospect. We've seen great players at the wjc go on to do great things, we've also seen players at the wjc who did poorly at the wjc go on to also do great things.

goes the other way too. We've seen great players at the wjc go on to do jack shit at the NHL level, many times.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah never thought Canada saw gold as their right. Just that they expect that effort.
That might be some of the answer , Sweden not expecting gold(aiming to low), and Sweden burning everything on keeping the roundrobin record alive and not have enough focus and fuel left when i counts. It is not like Swedes as a people are unable to win goldmedals...
This year i dont expect them to go past Switzerland.
I grew up watching and idolizing Bjorn Borg, have been aware for some time now that the Swedes are fully capable of producing athletes with the focus and complete mental strength needed to produce champions.

AndIi suspect very highly they will get past the Swiss, just don't take them lightly and already looking to the next game, they are quite a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Very rarely?

You can't base future success off the WJC.

There were people that watched Pettersson's WJC performance and wrote him off despite his domination of the SHL. Lunacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad