WJC: Disappointing showings so far

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Been disappointed with Quinn so far, if only because I expected him to absolutely torch this tournament. He’s just been good so far, with occasional lapses in defensive play.

Reactions: Oak

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Still made of the same stuff to beat you once again last year.

Sweden seemed to be made of the same stuff too.............................losing the big games while winning all the round robin ones.

I wouldn't make this thread personal yet if i were you..............................save that for when/if you win.

You would think you would know that but since it seems like a safe time to take a shot you took it, not surprised from what I have been reading from you over the years here.

I'd be careful with the mud slinging if I were considering your teams history at this thing, might have to eat some crow, don't forget that.
Canada should beat any team 8 out of 10 times. Sweden should not, the roundrobin winningstreak is more about team and depth. Loosing is about not having almost any topend forwards,wich is needed for the medal games.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Im a bit disappointed at Suzuki. Im a habs fan, I was happy when we first got him. A super intelligent kid on the ice with great abilities to finish or set up play + he almost made the VGK at his first camp. He wasnt very very impressive in our camp this year but we could see that this guy have alot of potential, but I find him not enough involve in games lately. I never really saw him play against player of his age but when I looked at his stats year after year with O.S. I thought that he wouldve been a bit more dominant for a 100 pts player. Dont get me wring he still play a good game overall,he's reliable but the exact word its involvement. I dont see involve in the game enough dont see him wanna make the difference. I was expecting him to have a similar impact as comtois,tippett & glass. Not saying that he should play like that cause he's a totally opposite type of player then comtois i.e. but I would like to see him involve, draw attention, try to make a difference being more hungry less passive.
First off, Suzuki's linemates suck. He looks great with whatever limited time he gets with Glass. And LOL at Comtois being involved. The guy is a f***ing tool and an embarrassment with his embellishments. He's worse than a soccer player - diving left, right, and center. I hope the NHL catches on and punishes him every time he falls.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
First off, Suzuki's linemates suck. He looks great with whatever limited time he gets with Glass. And LOL at Comtois being involved. The guy is a ****ing tool and an embarrassment with his embellishments. He's worse than a soccer player. I hope the NHL catches on and punishes him every time he falls.
Suzuki was just bad last night. He has been good for the most part but it is a cop out to put a bad performance on linemates when he just wasn't getting it done. It isn't the end of the world....He is still a good player but he wasn't good last night.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada should beat any team 8 out of 10 times. Sweden should not, the roundrobin winningstreak is more about team and depth. Loosing is about not having almost any topend forwards,wich is needed for the medal games.
I don't think they are gauranteed or should be able to beat the better teams 8 times out of ten at all unless they play their best and have the most talent(which isn't always the case), unless you think those other teams are punks.

This isn't the 1970's anymore. Sweden,Finland, the U.S have all developed rapidly and are right there with Canada as hockey powers, and Russia of course is still a top power.

SHOULD beat them 8 times of ten? I don't buy that.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
1. Glass - He's been good, and one of Canada's best, but he was playing so much better in the WHL prior. He can take it up a level.

2. Kazakhstan - This team had 0 chance against the big teams, and came out flat against the only team they did have a chance against. Playing okay with a basically PP only game against a dying and sick Swedish team, and their goalies playing above their heads shouldn't be this teams legacy. It was much better. I'm not sure if they have what it takes to beat the Danes in a best of 3 and given their 2001's and 2002's, and 2003'd this is not a country that will be back in this division for a while if they are relegated.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Well you clearly haven’t been watching it then, because the games have been awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’m disappointed there wasn’t even one upset. Usually there’s one every year minimum.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Danes not scoring a goal in the round robin ...that's hard to do. They can salvage this by winning the relegation round. They will face a much tougher test for their top flight status next year.

Reactions: Hagstrom

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Well you clearly haven’t been watching it then, because the games have been awesome.
I have watched pretty well every game....The Czechs have been a disappointment compared to what was expected of them offensively. Russia is playing an extremely defensive game, not the most entertaining hockey but effective. Sweden-Finland wasn't all that exciting....Finland-USA was a dud. Russia-Canada was okay but nothing special. Really the only amazing game that anyone can point to watch from a neutral point of view is the Sweden-USA game. Gee I guess I have been watching the games.

Reactions: jj cale

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I have watched pretty well every game....The Czechs have been a disappointment compared to what was expected of them offensively. Russia is playing an extremely defensive game, not the most entertaining hockey but effective. Sweden-Finland wasn't all that exciting....Finland-USA was a dud. Russia-Canada was okay but nothing special. Really the only amazing game that anyone can point to watch from a neutral point of view is the Sweden-USA game. Gee I guess I have been watching the games.
The Swiss/Russia game was highly entertaining.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I have watched most of the games too and ill have to agree with this post. Sweden USA game was incredible, Swiss Russia game was terrific. I thought the canada russia and canada swiss games were entertaining.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Im a bit disappointed at Suzuki. Im a habs fan, I was happy when we first got him. A super intelligent kid on the ice with great abilities to finish or set up play + he almost made the VGK at his first camp. He wasnt very very impressive in our camp this year but we could see that this guy have alot of potential, but I find him not enough involve in games lately. I never really saw him play against player of his age but when I looked at his stats year after year with O.S. I thought that he wouldve been a bit more dominant for a 100 pts player. Dont get me wring he still play a good game overall,he's reliable but the exact word its involvement. I dont see involve in the game enough dont see him wanna make the difference. I was expecting him to have a similar impact as comtois,tippett & glass. Not saying that he should play like that cause he's a totally opposite type of player then comtois i.e. but I would like to see him involve, draw attention, try to make a difference being more hungry less passive.

The list of guys that owned the tournament and never did a thing at the NHL level, and vice versa, is so long that when a guy doesn't factor in the way we'd like it doesn't mean much to me. Sure, we'd all love our prospects to have big tournaments. It's a sense of validation. In the end, the grand scheme, it doesn't mean a thing wrt to his career.

Reactions: Oddbob

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I don't think they are gauranteed or should beat to beat the better teams 8 times out of ten at all unless they play their best and have the most talent(which isn't always the case), unless you think those other teams are punks.

This isn't the 1970's anymore. Sweden,Finland, the U.S have all developed rapidly and are right there with Canada as hockey powers, and Russia of course is still a top power.

SHOULD beat them 8 times of ten? I don't buy that.
Canada is hockey and should always expect to get gold. Always when playing in Canada. Sweden should not, thats all. Not winning when it matters the most i think is more about overacheiving in the roundrobin than not being good enough when it counts.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well last I heard no medals are awarded in the pre-lims ....if they don't show up against the Finns then it will be a huge disappointment...also 3 letters will solve your last problem...PVR...

Yeah, I meant more from an entertaining POV. Canada can always win it. Three wins in a row is all it takes, nobody really has their depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad