Dion Phaneuf contract talk: Twitter, THN, TheStar links

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There's a lot of wishful thinking here. Phaneuf is on a current $6.5 million cap and is just entering his prime. It's quite obvious - whether on this team or elsewhere - that he's going to get a raise above his $6.5 million dollar deal. Much like the $8 million cap deal for Kessel, a number will be disappointed.

As for Jay Bouwmeester, if his offensive numbers didn't crash for four seasons, he'd be receiving a lot more. We're dealing with totally different animals here, and one that had someone like Giordano and Pietrangelo around. If Gunnarsson was comparable defensively, these criticisms would be more understandable.

Phaneuf just entering his prime? He's 28.

I have huge doubts Phaneuf is going to get better going forward. IMO he's in his prime, and I actually believe he'll be getting older and exiting his prime within a few seasons.

Hopefully the Leafs management has drafted a star in Rielly (little evidence so far), Franson gets better, and a couple of the other prospects turn out. With efficient management and intelligent drafting Phaneuf won't be needed for 8 years anyway.

8 years at a high cap hit is too long for Phaneuf.

Leafs have to be careful not to end up with multiple dead cap hit players. 7-8 year contracts for 29 year old players is asking for trouble.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Leafs need to sign Phaneuf. They have no choice. All of our other defensemen are 2nd tier compared to him. He's the only legit top-pairing d-man we have. Gunnarsson only plays top pairing because of Phaneuf. Dion's the only one that can preform at both ends of the ice. He can put up 40-45 points while still effectively going up against other team's top offensive players.

If Dion leaves who replaces his minutes? Gardiner? :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs need to sign Phaneuf. They have no choice. All of our other defensemen are 2nd tier compared to him. He's the only legit top-pairing d-man we have. Gunnarsson only plays top pairing because of Phaneuf. Dion's the only one that can preform at both ends of the ice. He can put up 40-45 points while still effectively going up against other team's top offensive players.

If Dion leaves who replaces his minutes? Gardiner? :laugh:

I'd expect him to be signed in the next month at the very latest.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yep. That would be considered the beginning of one's "prime" years. To me it seems like the 26-28 window has shifted towards 28-32. The advancement of medical technology and better training regimes is going to allow athletes to play longer than their predecessors.

[QUOe]I have huge doubts Phaneuf is going to get better going forward. IMO he's in his prime, and I actually believe he'll be getting older and exiting his prime within a few seasons.[/QUOTe] I could see him being offensively productive for five good years, while transforming into a capable defensive defenceman during his later years much like Scott Stevens. He's a pretty versatile defenceman and shows that he can evolve his game. From a more offensive oriented defenceman in his Calgary days (tight checking defensive system) to an all-round defenceman on a higher tempo team.

Hopefully the Leafs management has drafted a star in Rielly (little evidence so far), Franson gets better, and a couple of the other prospects turn out. With efficient management and intelligent drafting Phaneuf won't be needed for 8 years anyway.
I'm not so sure if our younger defenceman are going to be replicating Phaneuf in four years. We're looking to compete now and Dion is going to have to be part of those plans. The others will be on RFA contracts, and I don't think Franson is going to transform into an all-round defenceman either.

Leafs have to be careful not to end up with multiple dead cap hit players. 7-8 year contracts for 29 year old players is asking for trouble.
Suter is the same age as Dion and is on a 14-year contract. I don't think we're going to have to worry. Dion will easily be productive for six years.

phg

Sep 11, 2013
Im a Dion fan but do you save his 6.5 million along with say a 5 million cap increase and sprinkle that amongst Bolland, McClement, Fraser, Ranger, Kumelin being UFAs and Gardiner, Franson and Reimer being RFA's. Tough call.

You're absolutely right...That's the issue!

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON

I have huge doubts Phaneuf is going to get better going forward. IMO he's in his prime, and I actually believe he'll be getting older and exiting his prime within a few seasons.

interesting you're using the Corsi Rel QOC stat in your signature to tout Kulemin as such an awesome player.

You realize Dion had the best stat in this category for the entire team in 12-13 right?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I actually never noticed that Dion is making 5.5m, maybe we don't need to break the bank just to keep him afterall .

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
I don't see the point in signing him to anything longer than 5 years. He's 29 and maybe it's just me but I think once he hits his early 30's his game is going to decline. He's already not the most mobile Dman, but in 5 years it's most likely going to be even worse.

I can't stand Dion's personality but I do realize his value to the Leafs is huge right now. If he is looking for a raise give him 7mil but only 4 years. If he wants term, like 6, 7 or even 8 years, I'll be savage if his cap hit is over 6. He's not going to be a 6.5 or 7 mil caphit player come 35 years old.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
interesting you're using the Corsi Rel QOC stat in your signature to tout Kulemin as such an awesome player.

You realize Dion had the best stat in this category for the entire team in 12-13 right?

Yes, I realize that.

I'm not talking about this year, next year, the year after or the year after ...

8 years for a physical defenseman who isn't a great skater at age 29 isn't going to get faster. And he's no Scott Stevens!

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I don't see the point in signing him to anything longer than 5 years. He's 29 and maybe it's just me but I think once he hits his early 30's his game is going to decline. He's already not the most mobile Dman, but in 5 years it's most likely going to be even worse.

I can't stand Dion's personality but I do realize his value to the Leafs is huge right now. If he is looking for a raise give him 7mil but only 4 years. If he wants term, like 6, 7 or even 8 years, I'll be savage if his cap hit is over 6. He's not going to be a 6.5 or 7 mil caphit player come 35 years old.

What do you know about his personality? Why even mention that?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
TSN Radio‏

@TSN1050Radio

.@DarrenDreger: "My sense is that Dion Phaneuf will not take a dime less than 6.5 million"

6:22 AM - 1 Oct 13

once again Daren "scooper aka the dream" Dreger comes up with the most obvious of statements and insinuates it's some kind of dramatic revelation heretofore never even considered as a possibility giving it a gravitas that LeafLand hangs on

next up Bobo "bigger then the game" Mack stating that "word is" from "sources" that Phaneuf and the Leafs remain far apart and he's hearing that Phaneuf is seeking a Suter-esque deal

boy-oh-boy:sarcasm:

truth is the preliminaries are pretty much done, total value and NTC need to be worked out

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The timing of having to resign Phaneuf makes it difficult. If you look at the team right now, we need him and should have no problem paying him 6.5-7 for what he'll do for our team over the next few years, but there's a pretty strong d-core that coming down the pipeline with Franson, Gardiner, Rielly, Finn, Percy, and Granberg, who all look like they're on their way to being NHLers, some of them of high quality. If Phaneuf isn't playing the best hockey of his career, a big, long-term contract could be a problem in 3-5 years when these guys are coming off their entry level deals and second contracts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Another great two-way performance by our elite #1 last night.

ho-hum, no big deal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Another great two-way performance by our elite #1 last night.

ho-hum, no big deal.

Yeah, he played really well.

If he is looking for 6.5 he'll be wrapped up shortly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

the entire league, you mean.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The timing of having to resign Phaneuf makes it difficult. If you look at the team right now, we need him and should have no problem paying him 6.5-7 for what he'll do for our team over the next few years, but there's a pretty strong d-core that coming down the pipeline with Franson, Gardiner, Rielly, Finn, Percy, and Granberg, who all look like they're on their way to being NHLers, some of them of high quality. If Phaneuf isn't playing the best hockey of his career, a big, long-term contract could be a problem in 3-5 years when these guys are coming off their entry level deals and second contracts.

Can't use contracts from previous years for comparison. Those contracts could be buried in the minors when guys got old.

I know people don't like to worry about 4-5 years down the road, but Clarkson and Phaneuf eating up 12 million of cap space at age 35?

Both play a physical game, and neither are especially efficient skaters.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
6.5 x 8 is tough when you consider that he'll be 37 at the end of it.

I am going to be FURIOUS if we sign an 8 year deal with him.

Anything over $6M is overpayment already!

5 Years @ $6.5M OR 7 Years at $5.75M is what i would pay and nothing more.

Alternative:
Trade him and Liles back to Calgary for two First & Two 2nd Rounders :yo:

Ok ok....kidding, but really trade him if his demands are too high!

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Yes, I realize that.

I'm not talking about this year, next year, the year after or the year after ...

8 years for a physical defenseman who isn't a great skater at age 29 isn't going to get faster. And he's no Scott Stevens!

Your answer is right there... he isn't and will never be but he was, at one point, on his way. He is not that physical anymore, not enough to wear him down at an accelerated pace. Just my opinion.

Kessley Snipes*

I am going to be FURIOUS if we sign an 8 year deal with him.

Anything over $6M is overpayment already!

5 Years @ $6.5M OR 7 Years at $5.75M is what i would pay and nothing more.

Alternative:
Trade him and Liles back to Calgary for two First & Two 2nd Rounders :yo:

Ok ok....kidding, but really trade him if his demands are too high!

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad