Dion Phaneuf contract talk: Twitter, THN, TheStar links

BayStreetBullies*

Im a Dion fan but do you save his 6.5 million along with say a 5 million cap increase and sprinkle that amongst Bolland, McClement, Fraser, Ranger, Kumelin being UFAs and Gardiner, Franson and Reimer being RFA's. Tough call.

That's spreading it rather thin.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I actually think Dion would be wise to take a slight cut in pay, it would do wonders in terms of perception and/or criticism. Never happen, but...

If anyone could afford taking a cut it is him, his wife makes pretty good money too and the marketing opportunities in Toronto as a leaf are limitless. It would remove a lot of the criticisms about him as a captain as well. If he would take less than his current deal somehow I wouldn't be able to utter another bad word about him and I have had my fair share of complaints in the past. He should pull a Michael Jordon start doing commercials and advertising in the off season, could double his salary.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Oh good, another contract thread. I was wondering where to go to listen to some Leaf "fans" go on about how Phaneuf isn't worth keeping, the Leafs are almost out of cap space and will have to trade Gardiner and Rielly, Franson might be ready to take over from Dion and the hockey tape the Leafs use is overpriced by 25 cents. Did I miss any doom and gloom topics?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I offer to put you on a rocketship to Mars.

On another note, anyone suggesting that Phaneuf take less than what he's currently making shouldn't be allowed near a computer, and should promptly check themselves into the nearest rehab facility.

You're going to be in for quite a surprise. It says alot when management went out and got Phil Kessel signed before the season begins but will let things play out with Dion Phaneuf over the course of the season. Phaneuf still has to prove himself to warrant the contract he has now and management seems to be on the same page as they still seem to want another year of his play doing the talking, not his agent.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Oh good, another contract thread. I was wondering where to go to listen to some Leaf "fans" go on about how Phaneuf isn't worth keeping, the Leafs are almost out of cap space and will have to trade Gardiner and Rielly, Franson might be ready to take over from Dion and the hockey tape the Leafs use is overpriced by 25 cents. Did I miss any doom and gloom topics?

You've missed nothing. This soap opera will probably be playing all year long. Nonis has his media response down pat...told Dion the Leafs want to get something done, but not in any hurry right now. Eventually signed or not, many fans will be unhappy (or happy)...most polarizing Leaf player in recent memory.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You're going to be in for quite a surprise. It says alot when management went out and got Phil Kessel signed before the season begins but will let things play out with Dion Phaneuf over the course of the season. Phaneuf still has to prove himself to warrant the contract he has now and management seems to be on the same page as they still seem to want another year of his play doing the talking, not his agent.

Kessel is the more important player and said he didn't want to negotiate during the season. Phaneuf said that he was more than willing to negotiate during the season. I think it's quite possible that a Phaneuf deal is done within a month or so. But I could be wrong.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Anything more than 6 and I think we should trAde him at deadline...

5.25-5.75 would be ideal

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Kessel is the more important player and said he didn't want to negotiate during the season. Phaneuf said that he was more than willing to negotiate during the season. I think it's quite possible that a Phaneuf deal is done within a month or so. But I could be wrong.

Lets not kid ourselves, if Phaneuf could've signed a contract today he would've. This year he is playing with the uncertainty that he may get injured, which would limit his earning potential. Fact is he hasn't received a total he would sign for yet, that is probably because the Leafs are going with a wait-and-see approach. If he plays well and the Leafs go far he will get big bucks and everybody wins, but if he falters defensively and fails to put up 40+ points the Leafs may look to replace him if he still demands a high salary. I wouldn't grow too attached to him this early in the season, there is a real chance he's not with the club next season if he plays the way he has every other year except the last 2.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He's not signing for less than 6.5. We could trade him, for who though?

It would be to a contender I'm assuming. So best D prospect + current top 4 D?

Ideally we get him signed, but I'm not sure investing that much money into him long term is a good idea.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Have to keep in mind the age difference between Kessel and Phaneuf!!!

At 36 years of age do we really expect Phaneuf to be the best defenseman on the team?

He should get a higher cap hit if he takes a shorter term.

Kessel a finesse player, who doesn't make his dough being physical, for 8 years ending at 34 compared to a physical defender, who is continuously engaged, for 8 years ending at 36 (37 assuming playoffs).

Phaneuf is a top 15 defender, the 10-15 cap hits for defenders starting in 2014 is 5.5-5.8.

Bouwmeester signed a 5 year deal at 5.4 cap hit.

Yes, there is a difference between RFA and UFA, but there is also a difference between 23 years old and 29 years old. There is a difference at the end of an 8 year contract when a player is 30 or 36 years of age.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
as others have said, it's the years that concern me with Phaneuf. I'll give him his $6.5 (he's not elite, but his minute-load is pretty close to irreplaceable and he's a good fit for this team) but I don't know if I want to do it for 8 years, even keeping in mind that the cap could be $100m by then.

i could see $7m for 6 years happening. Leafs keep the term down, Phaneuf gets a per-year raise for losing the guaranteed dollars of the last two years. hoping for something like $6m/5 years but I'd be really surprised

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Anything more than 6 and I think we should trAde him at deadline...

5.25-5.75 would be ideal

Exactly, we have over paid him for the past few years. Honestly if he wants more than Boumeester is getting then he needs his head examined. I would rather trade him a get a first +.

Not to mention we have half a team to sign, yes i know they are all the bottom 6 players and bottom end defencemen but we will have a tuff go of resigning most of the current rostr players if the cap doesn't go up 4-5 mil and we can't trade Liles.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
If Phaneuf insists on 6.5 going forward, I'd move him. He's just not in that elite category. You could see it again tonight. Does the guy ever win a battle along the boards? Seriously. He goes in and you can guarantee that the other guy comes away with the puck. I've never seen an NHL-level d-man with such problems when it comes to balancing on his feet. He's always off kilter when he's jousting with another player, and this inevitably leads to him losing the puck.

The D tonight was again mediocre to awful. Gardiner had some horrible shifts, Phaneuf too, and I'm sorry, but Gunnarson just flat-out sucks. The injury excuse got him through last year, but tonight he looked just as bad as he did for huge stretches of last season. The Leafs still don't have even one rock-solid pairing that can be counted on in their own end. It's going to kill them again this year.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Canuck fans in my neighbourhood have me worried our cap situation is a nightmare and we'll lose Dion for nothing just like we almost lost Phil and then paid a King's ransom to convince him to stay. I also heard the sky is falling!?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I would like him to work with Underhill to improve his skating and mobility if that is even possible before a potential deal. His molasses feet and below average-average ice q concern me big time.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
There's a lot of wishful thinking here. Phaneuf is on a current $6.5 million cap and is just entering his prime. It's quite obvious - whether on this team or elsewhere - that he's going to get a raise above his $6.5 million dollar deal. Much like the $8 million cap deal for Kessel, a number will be disappointed.

As for Jay Bouwmeester, if his offensive numbers didn't crash for four seasons, he'd be receiving a lot more. We're dealing with totally different animals here, and one that had someone like Giordano and Pietrangelo around. If Gunnarsson was comparable defensively, these criticisms would be more understandable.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There's a lot of wishful thinking here. Phaneuf is on a current $6.5 million cap and is just entering his prime. It's quite obvious - whether on this team or elsewhere - that he's going to get a raise above his $6.5 million dollar deal. Much like the $8 million cap deal for Kessel, a number will be disappointed.

As for Jay Bouwmeester, if his offensive numbers didn't crash for four seasons, he'd be receiving a lot more. We're dealing with totally different animals here, and one that had someone like Giordano and Pietrangelo around. If Gunnarsson was comparable defensively, these criticisms would be more understandable.

Well at age 33 and 34 Kessels actual pay drops to 6m per.

Dions new contract won't kick in till he is 29 years of age.

Using Kessel as an example and the diminished returns that many players deal with in their 30s, hrmmm.

If Dion and DN can't work out a deal to lower his AVV, then i have to question WTF is he doing with the C on his chest.

Time for our leader to lead by example.

Plenty of examples in the NHL over the past 7 years where true leaders took AVV hair cuts for the betterment of the team.

I can't fault Kessel for his tho, i always knew he was not a leader and after the Boston demands, always knew that American "gotz ta get paid".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad