Dion Phaneuf contract talk: Twitter, THN, TheStar links

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Just saw an update on Yahoo fantasy saying that ESPN's latest Overrated player poll had Phaneuf at the top... again.

Phaneuf gets no respect. We'd be screwed without him.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Just saw an update on Yahoo fantasy saying that ESPN's latest Overrated player poll had Phaneuf at the top... again.

Phaneuf gets no respect. We'd be screwed without him.

1) ESPN doesn't know hockey

2) How highly do they think people rate him? lol

Tyler Biggs*

I wouldn't use +/- against him it's really a team stat. The bottom line is Dion is a #1 on OUR defense. Right now he's under appreciated and we'll really notice it if he leaves. Unless Nonis can wave the magic wand and pull a Chara clone out of his buttocks Dion is the best there is. Teams are keeping their top players now so either Nonis gets lucky and drafts a #1 or finds a top 4 dmen in the summer to reduce his minutes. I think they're better off surrounding Dion with better defensemen. There are no other options!

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For me Phaneuf is a decent #2 defenseman who wants to get paid #1 money. With Franson looking like he might become a very good #2 this year I think it makes more sense to lock him up to a $5 million a year long term deal then it does $7 Mil for Phaneuf. Along with the fact that Gardiner and Rielly are two young guys with high upside who can take over post Phaneuf it makes more sense to me to deal him at the deadline for a Bouwmeester type of deal and get what you can for him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And Phaneuf is not as good as Bouwmeester. Think we'll get a similarly good deal?
thats realistically what he's worth, and no if Nonis doesn't trade him, he'll fleese the leafs, which is his right.

Tyler Biggs*

Phaneuf is the captain, and our top minute man who plays in all situations including the penalty kill as well as the power play. Do you really think they're going to trade him knowing there's a lot of minutes to fill and depending on a 19 year old to help fill that void? Have you people ever heard the expression the grass is always greener on the other side?

Tyler Biggs*

Phaneuf has been excellent in all 3 games so far. He's showing what he's capable of when he puts his mind to it. The skills are there.

BayStreetBullies*

Looks like "Orr" Karlsson should be replacing Phaneuf as most overrated.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
For me Phaneuf is a decent #2 defenseman who wants to get paid #1 money. With Franson looking like he might become a very good #2 this year I think it makes more sense to lock him up to a $5 million a year long term deal then it does $7 Mil for Phaneuf. Along with the fact that Gardiner and Rielly are two young guys with high upside who can take over post Phaneuf it makes more sense to me to deal him at the deadline for a Bouwmeester type of deal and get what you can for him.
The most minutes Franson has logged in a season was under 20 minutes in half a season last year. Rielly isn't even 20, has one nhl game, and probably won't be an incredible defensive player. Gardiner is likely going to be a poor mans Rielly.

The team is screwed without Phaneuf. They don't have a legitimate #2, forget the #1 that he is. As long as the money isn't insane you keep him. The team doesn't have the spare assets to move for a #1 nor do they have a #1 in the system. Phaneuf is both the best we have and the best we will have without taking a significant step backwards. He is probably more valuable to the team's success than Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad