Did Wendel Clark deserve his banner raised?

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Just the fact that Quebec traded Sundin who was in his early 20's and recently put up 114 points for them for Clark tell you how valuable the rest of the league viewed Clark to be...and leaf fans still were in tears when it happened.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just the fact that Quebec traded Sundin who was in his early 20's and recently put up 114 points for them for Clark tell you how valuable the rest of the league viewed Clark to be...and leaf fans still were in tears when it happened.

In tears when we got Sundin for Clark? Maybe if you were under 10 years old, otherwise nope.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
In tears when we got Sundin for Clark? Maybe if you were under 10 years old, otherwise nope.

You obviously weren't around then. If there was a leaf trade or even a player leaving that saddened the city more. I've never heard of it.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

Because Quebec was stupid. Just like we were stupid when we traded to get Clark back.

Clark was on the trading block for years before the Sundin trade. We offerred Clark for Shayne Corson years before and MTL said No.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Because Quebec was stupid. Just like we were stupid when we traded to get Clark back.

Clark was on the trading block for years before the Sundin trade. We offerred Clark for Shayne Corson years before and MTL said No.

Link?

The only way that is possible is because of Clark's history with injuries.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just because it worked out doesn't chance the reaction by leaf fans at the time

And? Fans were sad because Wendel was popular, and happy because we won the trade.

Emotion vs reason. Basically sums up this whole Clark discussion.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
And? Fans were sad because Wendel was popular, and happy because we won the trade.

Emotion vs reason. Basically sums up this whole Clark discussion.

And a lot of people thought we lost the trade at the time for the same reasons you're reading he was a great Leaf in this thread.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You're talking about different things. It was a great hockey trade, but a lot of fans were sad to lose Wendel.

Sure, a lot were......but can you at least acknowledge that there were some that weren't?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

I have never heard about that Clark for Corson offer nor Clark being on the block for years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And a lot of people thought we lost the trade at the time for the same reasons you're reading he was a great Leaf in this thread.

I don't know about "a lot of people". The way I remember it, most people realized right away what a deal this was for us. Those that didn't probably do now.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I don't know about "a lot of people". The way I remember it, most people realized right away what a deal this was for us. Those that didn't probably do now.

Many of us realized what a elite talent Sundin was. We appreciated the excitement that Clarks first stint brought his style, run through a wall, was a revelation after and during the great Ballard sickness. Most realized that his (or anyones') stature could not withstand his reckless style of play. I was shocked at the Gardens when we snuck down low when Wendel was injured and stood beside him. He is not a very big man. He energized the fan base when in my lifetime it was at a all time low. He is a all time Leaf.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010

Well we went from going to the semi's in back to back years with Clark to going 4 straight years of not winning a round or making the playoffs. It definitely wasn't right away.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The game was so much different when Clark played that I can see why the younger fans wouldn't understand. Wendel would not be allowed to play like he did in today's NHL. He would be neutered. The guy was basically in seek and destroy mode from the moment he took the ice and it was fun to watch. I think he's a large reason I'm a fan of the team today as I'm not Canadian.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Well we went from going to the semi's in back to back years with Clark to going 4 straight years of not winning a round or making the playoffs. It definitely wasn't right away.

Then the Leafs had their best six year stretch since 1967 with Sundin as the Captain from '99'-04.

Clark wasn't even playing anymore after 2000. The Leafs had their highest point total in a season in 2003-2004 (and yes, 103 points is kind of a sad franchise benchmark for a 100 year old franchise, but they had never had 100+ before '04).

What would the Leafs have done if they had kept him exactly?

They even brought him back and he played FOR them in the 1996 playoffs and during the '97 and '98 seasons.

All he missed was the 1995 playoffs and part of the '96 season. It's not like they were going to win the Cup in 1995 anyway.

The trade was a prudent one. If you look at it from a rational and non-sentimental perspective, it was astute and it worked out well.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I'd say it was a lot. Remember that the fans demanded he be re-acquired which led to a huge overpayment ~5 years after this. Feelings around Wendel aren't always rationale.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'd say it was a lot. Remember that the fans demanded he be re-acquired which led to a huge overpayment ~5 years after this. Feelings around Wendel aren't always rationale.

I wouldn't blame all of those awful Fletcher deals on the fans. Remember Damphousee for Grant Fuhr? Oh boy that one sucked.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Sometimes the greatest heroes never get a medal.
Wendel Clark is one of them.
Nobody in the past 30 years gave more of himself to the Toronto Maple Leafs than Wendel Clark.
Absence of other glories is not why Wendel Clark revered.
It is gratitude & respect, good things not matter how you slice it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad