Did Wendel Clark deserve his banner raised?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Different era and in the 80s was terrible to be a leaf fan. Was until Fletcher arrived and made that big deal with Flames to get Gilmour. That leafs started have better luck. If Clark ended up with Flames or Oilers he would of had better stats. He was on such poor Leafs team for over half a decade. Probably if you add it up would of been closer to a decade of time.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
They did, his name is Maurice Richard and is a consensus top 10 player of all time.

Probably the case, obviously different era though.

Clark had 65 fights in his first two seasons. Richard had around 30 in his career (18 seasons), but I guess you can throw him out there.

I obviously can't comment on his toughness compared to the rest of his team, I did know he didn't fight often.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Probably the case, obviously different era though.

Clark had 65 fights in his first two seasons. Richard had around 30 in his career (18 seasons), but I guess you can throw him out there.

I obviously can't comment on his toughness compared to the rest of his team, I did know he didn't fight often.
It would have been stupid for Richard to constantly fight, he was a true superstar and the best player in the league. He grew up fighting golden glove tournaments and was a force to be reckoned with. Bleeding profusely he hunted a guy who cheap shotted him with a stick, slashed him twice then beat him to a pulp.

Clark's a great player in Leafs history, but I personally think to have your jersey retired by the Leafs you should at a minimum be a HHOF level player. That is the standard the Toronto Blue Jays have, and they have significantly less history.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
It would have been stupid for Richard to constantly fight, he was a true superstar and the best player in the league. He grew up fighting golden glove tournaments and was a force to be reckoned with. Bleeding profusely he hunted a guy who cheap shotted him with a stick, slashed him twice then beat him to a pulp.

Clark's a great player in Leafs history, but I personally think to have your jersey retired by the Leafs you should at a minimum be a HHOF level player. That is the standard the Toronto Blue Jays have, and they have significantly less history.

Agreed.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Wendel deserves a pat on the bottom, and a nice wet kiss. He has incredibly soft hands, and he's not bad with his fists either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad