Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
anybody have any reviews on his game this morning vs USA? didn't get a chance to watch

Gregor said he had a relatively quiet but good game. Had 2 scoring chances, but was -4.
His D partner looked horrible, and that pairing was a -4. So not a great game, but he played the 3rd most minutes against a very good USA team.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
Gregor said he had a relatively quiet but good game. Had 2 scoring chances, but was -4.
His D partner looked horrible, and that pairing was a -4. So not a great game, but he played the 3rd most minutes against a very good USA team.

thank you! that's what i was looking for!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
not really they played a vastly superior USA team...doesnt mean anything

i.e. finnish goalie played outstanding but they lost to canada 3-0 in womens hockey

Going into the tourney USA was a team that had a lot of question marks around their goal scoring.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
Going into the tourney USA was a team that had a lot of question marks around their goal scoring.

sure but those questions marks are...will they score enough to win gold, beat canada/russia/sweeden

not will they score enough to beat slovakia/denmark/etc...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Slovakia's #1C is Michal Handzus. It's not a very solid team. Their bottom six got outplayed pretty bad. Their depth is simply not there.

By those standards shouldn't we have hammered Norway 25-0?

Slovakia while bad isn't a team that should be worried about relegation.

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
By those standards shouldn't we have hammered Norway 25-0?

Slovakia while bad isn't a team that should be worried about relegation.

I am not going to check right now because I need to work, but I think Norway's group is more seasoned (and most of them established pros in the KHL/SHL probably have played in some capacity together too in the past for most of them) than guys like Panik, Marincin, Jurco etc. But again, not 100% sure. The way Slovakia fell apart in the 2nd period looks like an inexperienced team getting overwhelm and losing their grip on the game.

We indeed really should have hammered Norway too, but that's another discussion...

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I am not going to check right now because I need to work, but I think Norway's group is more seasoned (and most of them established pros in the KHL/SHL probably have played in some capacity together too in the past for most of them) than guys like Panik, Marincin, Jurco etc. But again, not 100% sure. The way Slovakia fell apart in the 2nd period looks like an inexperienced team getting overwhelm and losing their grip on the game.

We indeed really should have hammered Norway too, but that's another discussion...

Haugen had an outstanding game IMO, and was able to control a lot of Havok in front/got lucky quite a few times.

It could have been 7-1, but whatever, we won.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think this game showed how valuable Petry is to our team. Marincin can play well but he can't carry a pairing. That's not a bad thing exactly. Doing it all on your own can be a bad thing.

Just because Slovakia lost by a huge margin doesn't mean it will be like this all tournament either. Hopefully Marincin gets a different partner.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
From what I read on twitter, especially the Oilers guys felt that Marincin had a pretty decent game, got burned a couple of times on odd-man rushes, taking the man and expecting his d partner to take the other player.

Also heard his partner Jurcina(?) was the worst player on the ice, so I wouldn't take too much from a -4.

Put him with Chara!!! :yo:

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Martin was OK, his partner Jurčina was ****ing awful, worst player on ice for us. I think, that coach will split up the first pairing next game and put Marty on second pairing with Sekera.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Did he play well enough to not get scratched? Not sure how the bench strength is on the team.. Would suck if he got sat rest of the way. A lot easier to lay the blame on the young inexperienced kids.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Did he play well enough to not get scratched? Not sure how the bench strength is on the team.. Would suck if he got sat rest of the way. A lot easier to lay the blame on the young inexperienced kids.

Unlikely. The coach has stated that from the D-men Chára, Sekera, MeszároÅ¡, Baranka and Marinčin played well. If anything, he's likely to get more minutes at the expense of other 3 D-men, but maybe only in the later stage of the tournament.

SlovakLeaf

Nov 25, 2013
So Marty with Sekera on 3rd pairing tommorow.

Yes, it's confirmed that Vydareny will be scratched and Jurcina will be dressed, but will not play from the start. Only Meszaros and Baranka will stay together, Chara will play with Starosta and Sekera with Marincin.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
how did he look today? if anyone watched.

Didnt get to watch. But here are some tweets

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 7h
Watching Marincin compete here, he fits in, isn't out of his depth. Bodes very well for Oilers. Much needed development on blue line.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 5h
Martin Marincin on the ice in OT, four on four in a huge game vs Russia.

Oct 30, 2011
Didnt get to watch. But here are some tweets

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 7h
Watching Marincin compete here, he fits in, isn't out of his depth. Bodes very well for Oilers. Much needed development on blue line.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 5h
Martin Marincin on the ice in OT, four on four in a huge game vs Russia.

hopefully it turns out to be a good experience for him

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Finally get to watch Marincin (and Hemmer) today, haven't seen any Slovak games yet... should be good! I'll be focusing in on him hard

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Rough start to the game for Marincin, but thought he was really impressive in both ends in that final period, and good to see him be one of the players to survive the shortened bench in that final push.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Marincin will most likely be playing in the NHL after the trade deadline. Might not be with the Oilers but he will be in the NHL.

The numbers dont say much for Dmen .. The team is winning and his +\- isnt terrible... Klefbom has lot worse numbers in the NHL but is doing a fine job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad