Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
what do you guys think of this play so far? and how good can he be? I think he is raw but I like what I see and I hope he becomes a poor man's pronger. If I had to bet on he would be a steady top 4.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
what do you guys think of this play so far? and how good can he be? I think he is raw but I like what I see and I hope he becomes a poor man's pronger. If I had to bet on he would be a steady top 4.

a bit early isn't it?
reminds me of a thread that probably was started when Potter first played with the Oilers. give it a while.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Raw is exactly the word for Marincin. So far, I haven't really found him to be all that effective in the few games he's played with EDM this year, but you can absolutely see the talent and the potential there.

People say he needs to put on weight, and that's true, but mostly I think he just needs to get a bunch more games under his belt. Preferably in OKC though. I think the remainder of this season and probably all of next year too. No rush whatsoever on this player.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
What you see is what we'll get.

He will be the same player he is in 4 years as he is today.

This team is incapable of taking a professional hockey player and making him better.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
That's probably true I don't see any improvement with guys like lander, petty etc....PS: God I miss Cogliano!

What you see is what we'll get.

He will be the same player he is in 4 years as he is today.

This team is incapable of taking a professional hockey player and making him better.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I've liked what I saw from Marincin so far in the NHL, apart from that one mistake tonight he's been pretty good in both zones.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Let him play in OKC one more full season, maybe two.

No need to rush this guy at all. Ditto Klefbom. I'd bring up Fedun as a no. 6/7/8 next season to fill a gap for a year.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
In the same way Superman can crush coal into diamonds, the Oilers have a way of crushing these "gems" into dog ****

Hope he can pack on some weight and get stronger. We really need a home grown D-man to turn into something

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He only looks this good because our group of d-men are so pathetic.

Still, I've imagined him turning into a serviceable 2nd pairing d-man since the day we drafted him. We need to send him back down to the AHL. Don't want him to get used to losing.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin could all be part of the future and might be ready at about the same time.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its too bad we have our own AHL team, when we shared the Hamilton Bulldogs with montreal our players developed way better

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
He's already shown that he can win board battles against proven NHLers..definitely could use his size and he isnt even fully grown yet..

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He has been a fairly highly touted prospect since we got him.

For his draft position and potential I would say he is doing well.

Still young. Still lots of room to improve. As a defenseman his arrow is still on its way up and still has lots of time to get there.

The biggest thing for him and Gernat is to put on weight. A lot of weight.

Much like Hopkins. 10-20 lbs will go a long way to being better in the NHL.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Kinda reminds me a bit of Petry to be honest. Guy that took a long time to really fill out his frame, decent size and skills but looks like probably a 2nd pairing guy more than anything else. That's not a bad thing. Few more Petrys on the team would be nice regardless of what people think of Petry now trying to carry an entire defense core on his own.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Poor mans Pronger?? Heck, Shea Weber is a poor mans Pronger.. I'd settle for a poor mans Franson or poorer mans Boumeester.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Not even close. He has zero inclination for physical play, or at least has not shown any natural tendencies in that regard. That being said, he has a good stick (he'd better, given his lack of the aforementioned grit and at his size) and has shown some decent decision making with the puck (but also some brain cramps as per last game). I'd heard he has a good shot -- haven't seen anything of the sort as yet?

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Not even close. He has zero inclination for physical play, or at least has not shown any natural tendencies in that regard. That being said, he has a good stick (he'd better, given his lack of the aforementioned grit and at his size) and has shown some decent decision making with the puck (but also some brain cramps as per last game). I'd heard he has a good shot -- haven't seen anything of the sort as yet?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Great game today. Looks comfortable out there. Hopefully he gets rewarded with more ice time in future games.

Didnt notice any hectic play in his own end. He was keeping it simple making smart plays

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Very solid game for him tonight, no need to rush him give him a couple more games then I think his development is best served in OKC. Honestly rather him on the blueline over Larsen or Potter. They are absolute junk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad