Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
I sat right behind the Oilers goal twice last night and had a great view of MM. He is the real deal and is starting to jump into the offensive zone more. He is gaining confidence every shift and as they skate on for a shift he and Petry are always talking to each other.

Love this pairing.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Bob MacKenzie's list puts him at 187. So the AHL and NHL have him gaining 1 pound and TSN has him gaining 9 pounds.

And I love people talking about Gilbert in this thread. He's tied with Brian Campbell in points and one back of the team lead down in Florida.

the funny part about gilbert is he was always an excellent passer out of his own zone, he would be a benefit to the oilers roster right now with his breakout passes to the speed we have on our wings.

Obsellig

Jun 25, 2003
Strathcona, AB
This is why we should trade Marincin at the deadline!

You just need to ask yourself wether or not you want to be a winning team next year? Next year will be The year Marincin struggles like most young defencemen. We got Klefbom coming, Nurse and don't forget Dillon Simpson, who is having an amazing season.
A good GM would realize that this is the best time to sell an asset like Marincin because his value right now is very high, and there's still no guarantee he amounts to much.
His value is high because his team is depending on him, Olympics, Charra tutoring, all this stuff is great for his value. Now the oil must trade him at the deadline for a big piece(s), packaged up with Gagner you can get some good return back.
This team will suck next year if there is more then one rookie one the blue line. This is what winning teams do, the oil can afford to trade a piece like that, and they should!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You just need to ask yourself wether or not you want to be a winning team next year? Next year will be The year Marincin struggles like most young defencemen. We got Klefbom coming, Nurse and don't forget Dillon Simpson, who is having an amazing season.
A good GM would realize that this is the best time to sell an asset like Marincin because his value right now is very high, and there's still no guarantee he amounts to much.
His value is high because his team is depending on him, Olympics, Charra tutoring, all this stuff is great for his value. Now the oil must trade him at the deadline for a big piece(s), packaged up with Gagner you can get some good return back.
This team will suck next year if there is more then one rookie one the blue line. This is what winning teams do, the oil can afford to trade a piece like that, and they should!

Not unless you are getting a #1 D man back in a package you don't. Marincin has been our best defender pretty well since the moment he put on an oiler jersey this year. All the other Dmen you mention have potential a few years out. Potential gets you fired.

Obsellig

Jun 25, 2003
Strathcona, AB
Just saying that
Do you want to start winning now, or you still plan on waiting several more years for all these up and comers to develop.
I'm pretty sure Edmonton is sick of waiting. Marincin is the piece to move now!
And yes, the Oil need experienced defencemen, not rookies right now. Winning teams never more then one in there lineup at any time.
Defensemen often look great there first season and level off, then start a slower progress to being a regular. Like Stauffer says it takes 300 games for a Defensemen to be good. The oil need more Defensemen North of 300 games, because if there's more then one, it will be a loosing team again next year.

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
So you put in the work developing a prospect and right when he starts to show that he's becoming the player you hoped he would when you drafted him you trade him away... that is horrible asset management and only a strategy you employ if you are content being the farm team for the rest of the league. Is Marincin playing like one of the teams top defensemen right now? Yes he is so ****ing keep him! Worry about having too many young defensemen later. Hell if they're all good enough to push veterans out then you run with a young defense because the idea is to put the best players on the ice.

Unless you're getting a surefire better player in return you don't trade guys just when the investment is starting to show dividends.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Just saying that
Do you want to start winning now, or you still plan on waiting several more years for all these up and comers to develop.
And yes, the Oil need experienced defencemen, not rookies right now. Winning teams never more then one in there lineup at any time.
Defensemen often look great there first season and level off, then start a slower progress to being a regular. Like Stauffer says it takes 300 games for a Defensemen to be good. The oil need more Defensemen North of 300 games, because if there's more then one, it will be a loosing team again next year.

Seeing as how no Dmen are available to make us a winning team next year by default, I'll wait for development.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Just saying that

Says the guy who thinks we should change "Oilers" to something else :sarcasm:

Then we should trade Hall, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov, Eberle and Perron because they aren't in their prime yet. Regardless of this north of 300 games makes him useful, you need youth to build your future team too. Last thing we need is another Pronger or Souray issue.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just saying that

I wouldn't move any of Marincin, Klefbom or Nurse unless a #1D is coming back. Right now Marincin is looking like he'll be a solid 2nd pairing guy. If we're committed to the rebuild then we need to let the young defenceman develop also, if we start trading them away then this rebuild is pointless. Instead we should be bringing them up one at a time and getting solid veterans to support them.

This season is Marincin's time. Next season bring in whoever plays better at training camp between Klefbom and Nurse. I think we're going to play our way out of drafting Ekblad.

Obsellig

Jun 25, 2003
Strathcona, AB
Says the guy who thinks we should change "Oilers" to something else :sarcasm:

Then we should trade Hall, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov, Eberle and Perron because they aren't in their prime yet. Regardless of this north of 300 games makes him useful, you need youth to build your future team too. Last thing we need is another Pronger or Souray issue.

Huh?

Obsellig

Jun 25, 2003
Strathcona, AB
I wouldn't move any of Marincin, Klefbom or Nurse unless a #1D is coming back. Right now Marincin is looking like he'll be a solid 2nd pairing guy. If we're committed to the rebuild then we need to let the young defenceman develop also, if we start trading them away then this rebuild is pointless. Instead we should be bringing them up one at a time and getting solid veterans to support them.

This season is Marincin's time. Next season bring in whoever plays better at training camp between Klefbom and Nurse. I think we're going to play our way out of drafting Ekblad.

So you think a defence with J. Schultz, Marincin and one of Klefbom and Nurse on it is making it out of the basement next year?
I think that emotionally Edmonton wants to keep it's up and comers, but the same fans will loose their minds when the team sucks!

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
So you think a defence with J. Schultz, Marincin and one of Klefbom and Nurse on it is making it out of the basement next year?
I think that emotionally Edmonton wants to keep it's up and comers, but the same fans will loose their minds when the team sucks!

It's lose............

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

I think people should have realistic expectations as to what is probably available and how long rebuilds usually take. I don't think this offseason is the offseason we take huge leaps barring a large trade involving the kids.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Marty's been like our best defenceman lately. I keep expecting him to slow down, but he keeps exceeding my expectations. So much to be impressed about with this kid - his poise, size, reach, passing, breaking up plays, and now he's starting to join the rush more too. Just love Marincin more and more!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The most striking thing to me about him is his breakout passes. He doesn't just throw the puck away all the time. He can make that first pass very well (when players actually get open). That's such an important ability for a transition team like we want to be. It was also something that Smid struggled with.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
To those saying he's been our best d-man lately, I have to disagree. I'm not trying to sell him short at all, I'm very impressed with his game. But J. Schultz and Petry IMO are still bigger factors in our recent streak.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So you put in the work developing a prospect and right when he starts to show that he's becoming the player you hoped he would when you drafted him you trade him away... that is horrible asset management and only a strategy you employ if you are content being the farm team for the rest of the league. Is Marincin playing like one of the teams top defensemen right now? Yes he is so ****ing keep him! Worry about having too many young defensemen later. Hell if they're all good enough to push veterans out then you run with a young defense because the idea is to put the best players on the ice.

Unless you're getting a surefire better player in return you don't trade guys just when the investment is starting to show dividends.

I was about to reply to him, but this about sums up my feelings. A smart GM doesn't trade a big, promising, 21 year old dman who's earned a place in the NHL. Especially when arguably the best mentor in the league is about to spend a couple weeks teaching him while they're at the Olympics. Oh ya, Olympics... How many 21 year old dmen not only make a good Olympic team, but are specifically requested by someone on said team?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Still the best corsi of our D-men, while facing the 2nd hardest competition. He is very solid. What I'm most impressed about is the fact he seems to have so few rookie mistakes. Our vet's make way more stupid errors than him, which is just sad.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I was about to reply to him, but this about sums up my feelings. A smart GM doesn't trade a big, promising, 21 year old dman who's earned a place in the NHL. Especially when arguably the best mentor in the league is about to spend a couple weeks teaching him while they're at the Olympics. Oh ya, Olympics... How many 21 year old dmen not only make a good Olympic team, but are specifically requested by someone on said team?

Someone specifically requested Marcincin be part of the Olympic team? Who?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad