Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
With Visnovsky out, Marincin is certainly playing top-4 minutes, and possibly could be paired with Chara. That would be absolutely huge for his development.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
He's showing some remarkable maturity to his game. If he can keep his level of play up for the rest of the season, I think you have to pencil him in for a spot on the opening night D.

I'm hoping he can keep up his level play. If he can, it'd be a great help to remaking our blueline. It'd be the difference between filling 2 spots instead of 3.

I'm impressed by him thus far. His metrics are pretty good.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
To those saying he's been our best d-man lately, I have to disagree. I'm not trying to sell him short at all, I'm very impressed with his game. But J. Schultz and Petry IMO are still bigger factors in our recent streak.

We haven't been playing better at all. Our goalies have stolen a bunch of games. Infact our possesion numbers have dipped.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
You just need to ask yourself wether or not you want to be a winning team next year? Next year will be The year Marincin struggles like most young defencemen. We got Klefbom coming, Nurse and don't forget Dillon Simpson, who is having an amazing season.
A good GM would realize that this is the best time to sell an asset like Marincin because his value right now is very high, and there's still no guarantee he amounts to much.
His value is high because his team is depending on him, Olympics, Charra tutoring, all this stuff is great for his value. Now the oil must trade him at the deadline for a big piece(s), packaged up with Gagner you can get some good return back.
This team will suck next year if there is more then one rookie one the blue line. This is what winning teams do, the oil can afford to trade a piece like that, and they should!

You have no clue what you're talking about. Absolutely no clue.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
You just need to ask yourself wether or not you want to be a winning team next year? Next year will be The year Marincin struggles like most young defencemen. We got Klefbom coming, Nurse and don't forget Dillon Simpson, who is having an amazing season.
A good GM would realize that this is the best time to sell an asset like Marincin because his value right now is very high, and there's still no guarantee he amounts to much.
His value is high because his team is depending on him, Olympics, Charra tutoring, all this stuff is great for his value. Now the oil must trade him at the deadline for a big piece(s), packaged up with Gagner you can get some good return back.
This team will suck next year if there is more then one rookie one the blue line. This is what winning teams do, the oil can afford to trade a piece like that, and they should!

I would have no problem moving Marincin in a package for a #1 defenceman, but you're out to lunch if you think a package of Gagner and Marincin could fetch a true #1 defenceman. You overrate his value, there's lots of hype here on HF and justifiably so by his performance, but NHL GM's and even fans here have seen players sputter after having a better year than Marincin's, his trade value does not outweigh his potential right now

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would have no problem moving Marincin in a package for a #1 defenceman, but you're out to lunch if you think a package of Gagner and Marincin could fetch a true #1 defenceman. You overrate his value, there's lots of hype here on HF and justifiably so by his performance, but NHL GM's and even fans here have seen players sputter after having a better year than Marincin's, his trade value does not outweigh his potential right now

No kidding, plus, as good a marincin has been, good teams have 3 other vets as good as marincin or prospects equal to him.

He has played very good for a rookie D, but its not like he's been Trouba good

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
No kidding, plus, as good a marincin has been, good teams have 3 other vets as good as marincin or prospects equal to him.

He has played very good for a rookie D, but its not like he's been Trouba good

Plus, the Oilers drafted him, patiently waited for him to develop. You are not going to trade a young promising defenseman lol. Someone should tell the guy who thinks he should be traded to find a different sport. It's funny reading peoples horrid trade proposals

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont think logic is completely out to lunch. Look at the Vishvosky trade. Gagner+Marincin would be a similar package as Stoll+Greene was at the time.

The only question would be who is an equal to what Vishvosky was at the time. Elder? (Edit: Edler lol auto correct)

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't see the point in moving him right now unless it's in a trade that sees us adding to Marincin for a much better defenseman or 2C than what we currently have.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

I don't trade him for anything less than a substantial overpay. Tall lanky guys like this, if they put it together, become premier defenders in the entire league. He is showing a patient, efficient game that just screams "minute muncher." We need more MM, not less.

His ceiling is a 22-25 minute guy, and low end at least 18 mins per game calm presence back there. At worst he is a serviceable top-4 going forward, something we really need. With the dearth of guys who can actually play north of bottom pairing minutes on this team, I think it opens too much of a hole back there if traded.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I don't trade him for anything less than a substantial overpay. Tall lanky guys like this, if they put it together, become premier defenders in the entire league. He is showing a patient, efficient game that just screams "minute muncher." We need more MM, not less.

His ceiling is a 22-25 minute guy, and low end at least 18 mins per game calm presence back there. At worst he is a serviceable top-4 going forward, something we really need. With the dearth of guys who can actually play north of bottom pairing minutes on this team, I think it opens too much of a hole back there if traded.

Agreed. Tall guys with long reach have a natural advantage on defense ala basketball with their ability to take away so much space with reach. I am pleasantly surprised by Marincin, I didn't think he was as good a puck handler/mover as he's shown. I sort of had him figured for another "defensive defenseman prospect" which would never make it past the AHL (waves at David Musil). Actually to be honest, I had bet my money on Gernat being a better player.

He's like Petry, we need to avoid dragging him down with crappy partners because we only have 3 NHL quality Dmen at any given point in time. That means, for the love of god, don't make him play with either N Schultz or Fraser, at all, ever.

And don't rush Klefbom or Nurse... we still need to trade for or sign a #1 D, there's no doubt about that. The way I see it next year, by a playoff making standard, our D are:

1: ???
2: J Schultz
3: Petry
4: ???
5: Ference
6: Marincin
7: Fedun (resign?)
8: Potter (yeah for real - good value contract)

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
In case you guys were wondering, Slovakia's official line up is out and Marincin made the third pairing, so no bench for him. I know that some of you expected a higher place for him after the string of injuries and no shows in Slovakia's defense, but this is still huge for the yet to be 22 year old NHL rookie. He made the NHL and the Olympics in one year.

He was never going to play with Chara, it was between Sekera and Meszaros for Chara IMO. The coaching staff decided to go with Sekera (Visnovsky's a no show, so he's our second best D) and have an elite pairing so to say. Marincin gets Jurcina, a veteran of over 400 NHL games.

Slovakia's D -

Chara - Sekera
Meszaros - Baranka
Jurcina - Marincin
Starosta - Vydareny

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think we will see Marincin move up the lineup as the tournament proceeds. Jurcina and Baranka and pretty bad, and Marincin has been having a much better season than Meszaros. I think this is just giving the rookie player as little responsibility to begin with and see what he can handle. Would not be surprised seeing him on the second pairing after the first game or two.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
For quick reference:

Feb 13 7:30 AM
SVK vs. USA

Feb 15 3:00 AM
SVK vs. SLO

Feb 16 7:30 AM
RUS vs. SVK

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
For quick reference:

Feb 13 7:30 AM
SVK vs. USA

Feb 15 3:00 AM
SVK vs. SLO

Feb 16 7:30 AM
RUS vs. SVK

nice to see that somebody other than Slovaks will follow Slovak NT in Sochi :nod:

and dont make same mistake as Islanders when they traded Chara before he was able to round his game...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In case you guys were wondering, Slovakia's official line up is out and Marincin made the third pairing, so no bench for him. I know that some of you expected a higher place for him after the string of injuries and no shows in Slovakia's defense, but this is still huge for the yet to be 22 year old NHL rookie. He made the NHL and the Olympics in one year.

He was never going to play with Chara, it was between Sekera and Meszaros for Chara IMO. The coaching staff decided to go with Sekera (Visnovsky's a no show, so he's our second best D) and have an elite pairing so to say. Marincin gets Jurcina, a veteran of over 400 NHL games.

Slovakia's D -

Chara - Sekera
Meszaros - Baranka
Jurcina - Marincin
Starosta - Vydareny

Still good. I never expected him to be a partner to Chara as that would make him 1st pairing. It will be good for Marincin to be around Chara and study his game though. Maybe learn how to be a tough SOB

But third pairing is much better then bench. How good is Baranka guy? Is it possible for Marincin to pass him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad