Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I might end up eating crow on this one day, but I just don't see anything special in him anymore. I like Klefbom and Nurse far more as young D prospects, and TBH, even Simpson. If we end up drafting a Hanifin or Kylington, I'm all for trading Marincin.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
They should probably look at trading the guy if they can get a decent return anyway. The position is pretty crowded already, especially with Klefbom and Nurse being held in higher regard. young prospect D is the closest thing the Oilers have to an area of strength, if they can turn one of them into something useful, even as part of a package it'd be worthwhile to do it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-finished-as-a-member-of-the-edmonton-oilers/

I wonder if he camp into camp out of shape or with an unfocused workout regimen or something. He did jump from a lean 188lbs to 203 over the summer. I don't think it's quite do or die for him just yet either. There is an opening for him next season if we want to put Nurse in the AHL, and if we lose Petry.

We'll see how he is next camp (if he doesn't bolt)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's still a high end prospect that other teams would love to get a hold of. The Oilers will be fools if they dump him off cheap, if he goes he better go in a package to get an impact player in return.

Knowing the oilers they will deal him for a draft pick and he'll be a 10 year starter with a better team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I might end up eating crow on this one day, but I just don't see anything special in him anymore. I like Klefbom and Nurse far more as young D prospects, and TBH, even Simpson. If we end up drafting a Hanifin or Kylington, I'm all for trading Marincin.

His draft pedigree is on par with Nurse and klefbom because when drafting defenseman anything in the first two rounds can turn into a Norris level d-man.

Marincin's body of work at the NHL level is significantly better than Nurse, klefbom, or Shultz.

Marincin has all the tools except mass and that will come with time.

Take away this year's wjc performance by Nurse and I would say Marincin is most likely to be the best of the three.

As it is all three look good with none being established yet.

You don't trade a guy with Marincin,s potential and where he is at developmentally because we can draft someone who may end up being as good in 5 years.

That is extremely poor asset management.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Getting used to new weight, didn't necessarily play bad enough to be sent down when compared to players like Schultz and Nikitin, but went down due to his 2 way status.

Not a fan of getting rid of him. Never will be.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If we trade Marty and inevitably Petry.....I have no idea who the last #2nd rounder or higher that played on this team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-finished-as-a-member-of-the-edmonton-oilers/

I wonder if he camp into camp out of shape or with an unfocused workout regimen or something. He did jump from a lean 188lbs to 203 over the summer. I don't think it's quite do or die for him just yet either. There is an opening for him next season if we want to put Nurse in the AHL, and if we lose Petry.

We'll see how he is next camp (if he doesn't bolt)

Could also be the same thing that happens to every young NHL players. Teams get the book on a guy and they learn how to adapt to the player. Most NHL players's development curve isn't a straight up line. It has it's bumps along the way. We are now at the stage where the player needs to overcome a changing game that has adapted to him. Some guys will figure it out right away, others take time and others will never.

A superstar in Taylor Hall had/has issues adapting so it's not shocking that a 2nd round d-man that is 22 and only had half a season of NHL hockey would end up having issues as well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Could also be the same thing that happens to every young NHL players. Teams get the book on a guy and they learn how to adapt to the player. Most NHL players's development curve isn't a straight up line. It has it's bumps along the way. We are now at the stage where the player needs to overcome a changing game that has adapted to him. Some guys will figure it out right away, others take time and others will never.

A superstar in Taylor Hall had/has issues adapting so it's not shocking that a 2nd round d-man that is 22 and only had half a season of NHL hockey would end up having issues as well.

He didn't actually have many "issues" this year. He was playing very well overall. Mac T figured Hunt "deserved the chance to fail " and Klefbom needed some time in the NHL to grow. Leaving Marincin the odd man out.

Looking at his numbers and teams number of wins with him in the lineup in both AHL and NHL... Only an idiot would send/keep him down

Mac t...

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I don't see the problem with having Marincin in the AHL this season.

He was doing pretty well on the league's worst blueline. Ok, forgive me for not soiling my pants with excitement.

It's not MacT's fault that Marincin has gone down there and not been impressive enough to force a call up. Everything I've heard from OKC fans and interviews with Barons asst. Coach is that Marincin is struggling against AHL players. He hasn't been great.

Oesterle and Simpson have made better cases for a call up.

Marincin put on weight in the off-season, and may need this season in the AHL to figure things out.

You can't roast MacT for keeping a player in the lineup too long before sending him down and roast him for sending Marincin down to work on some things there, simultaneously. Marincin, in my opinion, has proven he wasn't ready. That's not a knock on the kid. Why do some of you perpetuate the absolute nonsense that being sent down to the AHL is some kind of punishment? No wonder we don't properly utilize the ECHL, either.

Hopefully Marincin has figured things out and blows the doors off the hinges next training camp and takes away all questions.

Or we trade him for an equivalent RHD prospect. Either way we don't lose.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't see the problem with having Marincin in the AHL this season.

He was doing pretty well on the league's worst blueline. Ok, forgive me for not soiling my pants with excitement.

It's not MacT's fault that Marincin has gone down there and not been impressive enough to force a call up. Everything I've heard from OKC fans and interviews with Barons asst. Coach is that Marincin is struggling against AHL players. He hasn't been great.

Oesterle and Simpson have made better cases for a call up.

Marincin put on weight in the off-season, and may need this season in the AHL to figure things out.

You can't roast MacT for keeping a player in the lineup too long before sending him down and roast him for sending Marincin down to work on some things there, simultaneously. Marincin, in my opinion, has proven he wasn't ready. That's not a knock on the kid. Why do some of you perpetuate the absolute nonsense that being sent down to the AHL is some kind of punishment? No wonder we don't properly utilize the ECHL, either.

Hopefully Marincin has figured things out and blows the doors off the hinges next training camp and takes away all questions.

Or we trade him for an equivalent RHD prospect. Either way we don't lose.
I don't think people realize that Marincin is struggling enough to be on our bottom pairing in OKC

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
So is it psychological? Is he just not giving a ****? Sulking? Or does he just need some time with his new size/frame to get comfortable?

McDeathbyCheerios*

So is it psychological? Is he just not giving a ****? Sulking? Or does he just need some time with his new size/frame to get comfortable?
I don't want to be negative but.. Could he of just had his career year last year? Him last year was his peak and he over performed?
I hope not but maybe

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Well, either way, if we draft Hani- I wonder about Marincin's future here.

If the Oilers aren't SURE he's going to have a turn around, swap him to a team with the opposite problem as us (all RHD, no LHD) and as long as we get fairly equivalent value, what's the problem?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't think people realize that Marincin is struggling enough to be on our bottom pairing in OKC

"Marty's done a great job of defending his gaps, he's been sensational through the neutral zone both offensively and defensively. He's a rangy guy, he's got a good stick, he deflects a lot of players off the outside, and his compete level has risen this year."

Coach seemed pretty happy with him a couple days ago.

The Barons have been virtually unstoppable. 16-6 since Marincin joined the team after being assigned November 30th. They had 10 wins in December and six so far this month; losing three each in December and January, to date.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've felt that he'd be the odd man out on D for some time. He could be a valuable trading chip for us.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I'm a firm believer in hanging on to promising young dmen as long as possible. It's the hardest position to aquire, you either draft or overpay. Plus defensemen can take longer to develop.

Edit: remember that year Giordano played in Russia because the Flames wouldn't give him a 1-way contract?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's been playing at 185 lbs for a few seasons but is listed at 203lbs now.. Let him adjust to his size and see what he has to offer at NHL level.. I full expect him to be on par with Klefbom in NHL

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's been playing at 185 lbs for a few seasons but is listed at 203lbs now.. Let him adjust to his size and see what he has to offer at NHL level.. I full expect him to be on par with Klefbom in NHL
So far he's shown better than Klefbom in the NHL. Marincin is one of 3 defensemen we've had over the past few years who has had real success shutting down top line NHL players.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

From quotes from Nelson earlier in the year and what little bits I've heard from the farm I've assumed Marincin is our #1 D-man for minutes. They don't log AHL TOI unfortunately so I have no idea if this is true. Besides the very odd person on this thread I've have not heard one person even hint that Marincin has been struggling even slightly. Dominating was the last word from Nelson.

People have short memories tho. When Marincin got sent down he was clearly one of our best at the time. Our winning percentage with him in the line up is the best of any Oiler defenseman.

I remember even Marincin detractors being very confused when he was sent down because he was playing so well.

If he is being used on our bottom pairing in OKC (which I don't actually believe) the Oilers are seriously messing up this guys development.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
So far he's shown better than Klefbom in the NHL. Marincin is one of 3 defensemen we've had over the past few years who has had real success shutting down top line NHL players.

I still remember him and Fayne being one of the prime factors of shutting down Stamkos and Ovechkin in the earlier part of the season.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
we shouldn't be trading our young dmen regardless if we draft someone like Hani.

Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin is a nice left side for us moving forward and after next season all 3 are likely ready to stick to the team.

if we get someone like Hani...whenever they are NHL ready we can then deal from a position of strength or move someone to the right side.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
But if we do draft Hani, and you can trade Marincin for a RHD equivalent counterpart...

As long as you don't get fleeced on the deal and both parties get a great return...

There's no downside to that. There are teams out there who are drowning in RHD depth, and need LHD. Colorado is one. Winnipeg is another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad