Did the sens win the Zaitsev trade ?

Did sens win the trade

• Total voters

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Meh. I've actually ALWAYS liked Connor Brown. He's a hard worker bee. Here are the stats for his career.

View attachment 435039

And yes, he's decent defensively.

But it's absolutely laughable to call him "elite" in any way, is all. That's what I'm LMAO-ing at. Let's be real here, shall we? He's doing alright with good minutes on a horrible team. On most any other team in the league, he'd be a solid 3rd line player. And if he was still a Leaf and some Leaf fan called him an "elite two way player" 97% of you would be LMAO-ing too.

Is Connor Brown even as good as Tyler Bozak? I'm not a stats guy and don't care to be. Love both players, but they are simply above average serviceable top line players, and they're both great guys that I enjoyed watching but that's kind of my opinion on it.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I dont think so. He wouldnt be in our top 6 right now. I'd be happy with him on our 3rd line though. Would probably be better than Mikheyev in his role.

He's absolutely a more effective player than Foligno, and I say this as someone who loved the addition from a Leafs perspective from day 1.

Connor Brown from 3 years ago is nowhere near the player that Connor Brown is today.

Is Connor Brown even as good as Tyler Bozak? I'm not a stats guy and don't care to be. Love both players, but they are simply above average serviceable top line players, and they're both great guys that I enjoyed watching but that's kind of my opinion on it.

???

Brown had over 2x as many points, 4x as many goals, and almost 5x as many takeaways as Bozak. This despite the fact that they produced the same amount on the PP.

Brown was arguably a top 90 fwd in the league this season, and certainly not far below that.

What a ridiculous discussion.

Pretty sure Zaitsev was moved because Lou gave him 7 freakin' years before he'd even stepped into the NHL.

Pretty sure Ottawa took on that contract because Melnyk could save money while hitting the cap floor.

Please, please explain how Zaitsev saves Ottawa money, or how he helped them hit the cap floor. If someone gives you $3 dollars off something that costs $20.00, it's only a saving if you actually wanted the product. Ottawa was well above the cap floor last season.

Ottawa added Zaitsev because they thought he could play a top 4 role for us, which is exactly what he's done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Pretty sure Zaitsev was moved because Lou gave him 7 freakin' years before he'd even stepped into the NHL.

Pretty sure Ottawa took on that contract because Melnyk could save money while hitting the cap floor.

Yes Zaitsev and Marleau were brutal Lou contracts. Weird thing on HF is fans get up in arms over big contracts to stars in their prime.....those aren't the ones that hurt you.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yes Zaitsev and Marleau were brutal Lou contracts. Weird thing on HF is fans get up in arms over big contracts to stars in their prime.....those aren't the ones that hurt you.

I don't think any Leafs fans are crying about having a Matthews and a a Marner, we're maybe a little worried about Tavares but we also know it's going to be OK, I hear what you're saying.

Zaitsev was a cap dump, Brown was the price.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He's absolutely a more effective player than Foligno, and I say this as someone who loved the addition from a Leafs perspective from day 1.

Connor Brown from 3 years ago is nowhere near the player that Connor Brown is today.

???

Brown had over 2x as many points, 4x as many goals, and almost 5x as many takeaways as Bozak. This despite the fact that they produced the same amount on the PP.

Brown was arguably a top 90 fwd in the league this season, and certainly not far below that.

Please, please explain how Zaitsev saves Ottawa money, or how he helped them hit the cap floor. If someone gives you $3 dollars off something that costs $20.00, it's only a saving if you actually wanted the product. Ottawa was well above the cap floor last season.

Ottawa added Zaitsev because they thought he could play a top 4 role for us, which is exactly what he's done.
You could say Brown is a better player, but I would absolutely rather have a big hard hitting guy like Foligno in our top 6 than Brown. I dont think he would be played on the top line if he were here.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Connor Brown had a career year and Zaitsev has somehow become Mr Reliable. Meanwhile GMs are continuing to try to explain why Ceci exists as a player. So yeah. Poll results bang on. Sens win in a landslide.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
You could say Brown is a better player, but I would absolutely rather have a big hard hitting guy like Foligno in our top 6 than Brown. I dont think he would be played on the top line if he were here.

Fair enough. Ignoring lines, however, I am pretty certain that Brown would play more ES+PK by a decent margin.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
well, obviously. he is better than anyone in our bottom 6 but what does that have to do with this?

It has to do with him still somehow being my favourite player in the league and I miss him and we traded him because he got a few suspensions for a D man that sucked for us, aka I think we should have kept Kadri as our 3rd line C at his cap hit and rolled the dice on another suspension.

edit btw: this is with hindsight obviously.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Connor Brown had a career year and Zaitsev has somehow become Mr Reliable. Meanwhile GMs are continuing to try to explain why Ceci exists as a player. So yeah. Poll results bang on. Sens win in a landslide.

But.......

The Leafs got rid of a very average and replaceable D man on a 7 year deal.......

Ok, so I'm supposed to look at this deal straight up, not take into consideration what that deal did for each franchise.

It's still a wash. Zaitsev was a BAD contract for the Leafs. Melnyk made money on it just like he did with the Phaneuf deal. I'm starting to wonder why I hate Melnyk?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I remember when Dick Tarnstrom looked like a star on the Penguins. I feel like you're seeing a similar situation with a talent void here.

Enjoy that Zaitsev contract till 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelWarlord

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Sens were laughed at when it happened we were just about to get rid of Ceci too with his contract expiring .

but Connor brown turned out pretty good

He was pretty good when he was traded, not some unknown, he was the cost of dumping contracts.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Eh, nah. Zaitsev is totally fine as a 4D.

Keep telling yourself that.

E1Q5RZ0WQAAcpWr.png

If Zaitsev is what the Sens consider a top four guy no wonder y'all rank at the bottom of every defensive metric.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This trade for the Leafs is essentially choosing between keeping Brown and Zaitsev or taking Ceci for a year and then having cap space to sign more effective players like Brodie. Sens fans are in here trying to convince us that we should've kept both actually because we need Brown's scoring apparently.

Leafs GF.jpg

Leafs GFPG.jpg

Like good for Ottawa that they found players who've been effective on a not good team but at the end of the day the Leafs got exactly what they wanted out of it. Did the Sens win the trade sure, but let's not act like this was a simple straightforward deal that the Leafs lost.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

???

Are you kidding me?

The entire deal revolved around the Leafs wanting to get rid of a 7 year contract.

Look it up. I'm not going to do the work for you.

Leafs didn't give up Brown because they didn't like him, that was the price to get Ottawa to take Zaitsev because that contract was a big mistake from the get go.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This trade for the Leafs is essentially choosing between keeping Brown and Zaitsev or taking Ceci for a year and then having cap space to sign more effective players like Brodie. Sens fans are in here trying to convince us that we should've kept both actually because we need Brown's scoring apparently.

View attachment 435117
View attachment 435118

Like good for Ottawa that they found players who've been effective on a not good team but at the end of the day the Leafs got exactly what they wanted out of it. Did the Sens win the trade sure, but let's not act like this was a simple straightforward deal that the Leafs lost.

I could be a jerk and say "did the Sens really win the trade"?

But I'm not gonna do that.

It boggles my mind that some people can't understand how important cap space is especially when we're talking about either replacement level players (Zaitsev till when?) or boat anchors and the worst captain in Leafs history (Phaneuf)

Toronto basically paid Ottawa in both assets and money to the owner in order to free up cap room to improve the team.

I dare anyone to deny that and I'll sit back and laugh and not comment again in this thread.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Meh. I've actually ALWAYS liked Connor Brown. He's a hard worker bee. Here are the stats for his career.

View attachment 435039

And yes, he's decent defensively.

But it's absolutely laughable to call him "elite" in any way, is all. That's what I'm LMAO-ing at. Let's be real here, shall we? He's doing alright with good minutes on a horrible team. On most any other team in the league, he'd be a solid 3rd line player. And if he was still a Leaf and some Leaf fan called him an "elite two way player" 97% of you would be LMAO-ing too.
Some players are actually better after a trade. Look at a guy like Patrick Sharp for example (Who I think is a good comparison on what Connor Brown can be), where it took a trade to Chicago where he could show what he could truly do. And he was one of the better two way wingers in the league for a while.

A player getting more minutes on another team shouldn't be seen as a bad thing as you're making it out to be. FWIW, as Ottawa got better throughout the year the better Connor Brown produced and played.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Are you kidding me?

The entire deal revolved around the Leafs wanting to get rid of a 7 year contract.

Leafs didn't give up Brown because they didn't like him, that was the price to get Ottawa to take Zaitsev because that contract was a big mistake from the get go.
It was a 5 year contract at the time of the trade. You may want to look it up before spewing "facts"

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Brown was moved because of the salary he would command versus who he had to beat out. Galchenyuk got opportunities because he was almost free. If Brown came in at Galchenyuk money, he'd still be in Toronto.
Brown is making Kerfoot money, who you guys added on the same day Brown was traded. You could've kept Brown instead of adding Kerfoot. Let's not fabricate a narrative that there was no way to keep Connor Brown on the Leafs. It could've easily been done. And every single team in the league would make room for Connor Brown on his current contract, so this whole notion that the Leafs were somehow forced to move on from him is laughable.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Are you kidding me?

Uh, where did I suggest that Toronto wasnt motivated by cap considerations? If you are going to be condescending, its good to have reading comprehension beyond that of a baboon.

You brought up Zaitsev being a cheap way for Ottawa to hit the floor, which is not only incorrect, but illogical. Which I pointed out. You brought up Ottawas motives, I debunked your premise.... and then you started talking about the Leafs motivations.... a topic on which I have said literally not a single word.

A player getting more minutes on another team shouldn't be seen as a bad thing as you're making it out to be. FWIW, as Ottawa got better throughout the year the better Connor Brown produced and played.

Yeah, its ironic because Brown was actually playing by far his worst hockey of his time in Ottawa at the start of the season. Us being a top 3 team in the North Division for the 2nd half of the season directly coincided with him stepping up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad