Did the sens win the Zaitsev trade ?

Did sens win the trade

• Total voters

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Zaitsev was under appreciated here, but Connor Brown was the real key cog that suits the sens play style.

Honestly, Sens probably win this trade but that cap space has been well spent keeping a truly dynamic core.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Brown is doing that with opportunities he wouldn't get on the Leafs. I'm very happy for his success, but let's not pretend he would be doing this with Toronto. Ottawa doesn't have other players to supplant him so he's able to get those minutes he needs.

Come on NyQuil, you're smarter than this but you stoop to these bait level posts
If 6-teams-in-6-months-Galchenyuk is getting chances on the top line in Toronto surely there would be opportunities for Connor Brown.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
LMAO. 35 point seasons(excuse me...."paced for" 51 point seasons) and some shorthanded points, now make 3rd liners "elite". Man, things have gotten really bad in the nation's capital.
Dont really understand your anti-sens bias. You love to bash them in every thread about the Senators, then when someone makes a genuine point, disproving your statements, you go ghost.

Connor Brown has replaced what was lost in JG Pageau in all honesty. Like it or not, Connor Brown is a top-6 forward, who is one of the better penalty killers in the entire league; just look at the amount of short handed goals he has, and being second in the league in takeaways shows he has more than pulled his weight defensively.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
There is no way that Connor Brown is good enough that you still "win" the trade taking on the Zaitsev anchor to get him.

Zaitsev is making 4.5m for the next three years. The odds of Ottawa finding a better player for his role at a lower cost is next to zero.

Brown was one of our top 3 players this year, Zaitsev was one of our top 9. Little-to-no debate on that front. Very happy to have both of them on our team.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Perhaps, but he's the motor of a young team and will continue to get his chances. Plus, he's become a takeaway machine. The kind of guy you want around your youth and you definitely want come playoff time. A huge addition to Ottawa, which is what this poll is about. Ottawa does this trade every time and if this is the price to get Zaitsev off the books, that's very unfortunate cap management IMO.

As does Toronto. Yes, Lou is an idiot with paying veterans more than they are worth.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He'd be 2nd on the Leafs in goals and 1st in SH goals. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm glad you're happy with paying two guys 11 million apiece to score fewer goals than Connor Brown.

Agreed, Toronto simply does not have the goal scoring ability to afford losing Connor Brown, and few stats predict success better than scoring on your penalty kill. It's been obvious for the past two years that Brown's money should've been used for more offense.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I think it was a textbook win-win trade.

Shedding Zaitsev gave us the cap space to get Brodie. We also used the third in the deal to get Jack Campbell.

Brown has been a great add for the sens. Also, Zaitsev has played decently well.

And the Leafs are in the playoffs, however briefly that may be.

And they have the Rocket Richard winner for the first time ever.

WFC? Not me.

Poll results are hilarious to me. I'm laughing (until my team lets me down, which is inevitable)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Value wise it might tilt towards the Senators. That being said, "all" they received for taking on Zaitsev's terrible deal was Connor Brown and given where the Senators are at in the rebuild I'm not sure I'd count that as a clear win.

Brown was obviously great this past season and will still have time to make an impact for the Sens. He seems like a guy that will put up his best years while the Sens miss the playoffs and might be shipped out but the time they enter their contention window. There's a lot still up in the air here from a Sens perspective (can they eventually flip Brown for a return, is/was his impact off the ice a major reason for improvement from the kids, ect.

At face value I think it's easier to see how this makes sense for the Maple Leafs given they used that cap space on Brodie/Campbell who have been clear improvements for them. It's certainly not a loss for Ottawa, but I'm not convinced this helps them down the road, and that should have been the priority.

Connor Brown is awesome, Melnyk saved money, Leafs have Jack Campbell who is now our starter going forward, and got some much needed cap space.

Win win.

Imagine Ottawa with a decent owner. They're so good at building teams, yet all their players leave.

The list of great players they've lost is endless.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I can totally believe it. Spezza was always a good dude.

It's weird how someone can be a good dude, but you don't like them because he's an enemy, then he's on your favourite team and all of a sudden you're like "I love this guy!"

Still can't believe Babcock scratched him his first game, seriously douche bag move thinking back to that.

Sturtzle (sp?) is awesome by the way. As is Brownie as I've said.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's weird how someone can be a good dude, but you don't like them because he's an enemy, then he's on your favourite team and all of a sudden you're like "I love this guy!"

Still can't believe Babcock scratched him his first game, seriously douche bag move thinking back to that.

Sturtzle (sp?) is awesome by the way. As is Brownie as I've said.

Ha, yeah. I used to joke that we had to wash the Leaf stink off all the players we were acquiring from Toronto. Babcock and douchery seemed to go hand in hand.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Ha, yeah. I used to joke that we had to wash the Leaf stink off all the players we were acquiring from Toronto. Babcock and douchery seemed to go hand in hand.

I think I actually thought back then that Babcock was doing the right thing because maybe Spezza had a poor work ethic.

One of the dickest moves I can imagine looking back and seeing how great Spezza has been for us at this point in his career.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Worked out for both sides. Nice to see Brown doing well, but if he's your top scorer you're in big trouble. He wasn't seen really as a valuable asset when we traded him as he provided no offense next to our star players (and he was given LOADS of opportunity to do so). At the time of the trade he was basically a 4th liner for us making 2.5m

Zaitsev is brutal and I refuse to hear anything about him actually being good when there is zero evidence of that being so. Not doing horribly in the situation youre in doesnt = good.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Dont really understand your anti-sens bias. You love to bash them in every thread about the Senators, then when someone makes a genuine point, disproving your statements, you go ghost.

Connor Brown has replaced what was lost in JG Pageau in all honesty. Like it or not, Connor Brown is a top-6 forward, who is one of the better penalty killers in the entire league; just look at the amount of short handed goals he has, and being second in the league in takeaways shows he has more than pulled his weight defensively.

Meh. I've actually ALWAYS liked Connor Brown. He's a hard worker bee. Here are the stats for his career.

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.17.13 PM.png

And yes, he's decent defensively.

But it's absolutely laughable to call him "elite" in any way, is all. That's what I'm LMAO-ing at. Let's be real here, shall we? He's doing alright with good minutes on a horrible team. On most any other team in the league, he'd be a solid 3rd line player. And if he was still a Leaf and some Leaf fan called him an "elite two way player" 97% of you would be LMAO-ing too.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Are we discussing salaries or opportunities? They are not mutually exclusive.
Brown was moved because of the salary he would command versus who he had to beat out. Galchenyuk got opportunities because he was almost free. If Brown came in at Galchenyuk money, he'd still be in Toronto.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Meh. I've actually ALWAYS liked Connor Brown. He's a hard worker bee. Here are the stats for his career.

View attachment 435039

But it's absolutely laughable to call him "elite" in any way, is all. That's what I'm LMAO-ing at. Let's be real here, shall we? He's doing alright with good minutes on a horrible team. On most any other team in the league, he'd be a solid 3rd line player. And if he was still a Leaf and some Leaf fan called him an "elite two way player" 97% of you would be LMAO-ing too.

The iteration of the Sens on which Brown has been a top player is not a horrible team... since we started trading off vets, we have played at a 92 pt pace (The Mighty Leafs at a 105pt pace); since the deadline, we've played at a 122 pt pace (The Might Leafs at a 98pt pace).

Connor Brown can absolutely play top 6 on a good team... at no point this year have the Leafs had 4 better wing options.

Also, he's very good defensively, and pretty elite defensively in the neutral zone.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

View attachment 435039

Love Connor too. Those stats just go to show the different type of role he was in. Was a sub 30 point 4th liner here, and on a weaker Ottawa team, he is a 50 point middle 6 player. Happy he got an opportunity, similar to the way I feel about Kapanen in Pittsburgh.

Also the cap space we saved in this deal (Zaitsev+Brown=$6.6 million) could be said to fund Brodie's and Campbell's current deals. Glad Ottawa is happy with their duo and it also worked out for us.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The iteration of the Sens on which Brown has been a top player is not a horrible team... since we started trading off vets, we have played at a 92 pt pace (The Mighty Leafs at a 105pt pace); since the deadline, we've played at a 122 pt pace (The Might Leafs at a 98pt pace).

Connor Brown can absolutely play top 6 on a good team... at no point this year have the Leafs had 4 better wing options.

Also, he's very good defensively, and pretty elite defensively in the neutral zone.
I dont think so. He wouldnt be in our top 6 right now. I'd be happy with him on our 3rd line though. Would probably be better than Mikheyev in his role.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Brown was moved because of the salary he would command versus who he had to beat out. Galchenyuk got opportunities because he was almost free. If Brown came in at Galchenyuk money, he'd still be in Toronto.

Pretty sure Zaitsev was moved because Lou gave him 7 freakin' years before he'd even stepped into the NHL.

Pretty sure Ottawa took on that contract because Melnyk could save money while hitting the cap floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad