Did the sens win the Zaitsev trade ?

Did sens win the trade

• Total voters

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Compared to contracts of players of similar skill coming of their ELC's; the Leafs got totally owned. Once one got paid big bucks, the other two expected the same thing.

So they're not worth it?
Auston Matthews is not worth being locked up?
This is what you're saying?

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Maybe if the Maple Leafs didn't give out such large contracts to their players off of ELC'S they could afford to keep around a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenceman.
You guys just signed chabot to a huge contract after his elc and are about to do the same with Tkachuk. And what about colin white almost 5 mil and he isn't living up to that contract. Shit happens. Toronto made the right move to trade zaitsev, which allowed us to sign brodie this year.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Someone has to score. Even on a bad team.

Brown is a good player but please don’t be so stupid to compare him to Tavares or Marner. Just hoping you are trolling and not being serious.

I guess Brown >>>> Tkachuk if he’s being compared to Marner and Tavares lmao.

No, someone doesn't have to score 20 goals on any team, as well as being an elite 2 way player.

Brown finished his development late and would have been the best 3.6 million Toronto ever spend as a 3rd line w who can play up the lineup and kill penalties.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
No, someone doesn't have to score 20 goals on any team, as well as being an elite 2 way player.

Brown finished his development late and would have been the best 3.6 million Toronto ever spend as a 3rd line w who can play up the lineup and kill penalties.

LMAO. Did you just refer to Connor Brown as an "elite two way player"?

Jesus Christ.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
LMAO. Did you just refer to Connor Brown as an "elite two way player"?

Jesus Christ.

He was this year. And it didnt just happen, he's been building towards being a 2 way force.

Shows how much you watch him, I assume.

2nd in the league in takeaways
2nd in the league in shorthanded points
1st in shorthanded goals

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaves34

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He was this year. And it didnt just happen, he's been building towards being a 2 way force.

Shows how much you watch him, I assume.

2nd in the league in takeaways
2nd in the league in shorthanded points
1st in shorthanded goals

LMAO. 35 point seasons(excuse me...."paced for" 51 point seasons) and some shorthanded points, now make 3rd liners "elite". Man, things have gotten really bad in the nation's capital.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
LMAO. 35 point seasons(excuse me...."paced for" 51 point seasons) and some shorthanded points, now make 3rd liners "elite". Man, things have gotten really bad in the nation's capital.

Things are actually trending up big time in the nation's capital. And what do you mean "some" shorthanded points and goals? He's 2nd in the entire league in shorthanded points and 1st in the league in shorthanded goals and just in case you missed it, which you either did, or conveniently glossed over it, 2nd in the league at takeaways.

So, take the 'elite' label off. He's upper echelon right now, is that better for you?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I don't think anyone really won or lost that trade. Brown is a nice player, but Zaitsev is a negative value asset. Ottawa was willing to eat Zaitsev's contract for Brown, but I wouldn't call it a 'win'. Similarly, Toronto knew Brown was a nice player, but was willing to lose him to shed the Zaitsev deal.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Lol, again? Spezza was a lot of things, but he was never an elite two way talent.
But he is now! He had 30 points this season and was very good defensively! One of the best in the faceoff dot too if im not mistaken. So hes very comparable to Brown, only getting 4th line minutes and costs league minimum.

Obviously I'm not being serious by the way but you cant be an elite two way forward who only scores ~50 point pace over the season. Thats not elite, thats normal, solid production.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Toronto always liked Brown...He was traded to Ottawa so they would take Zaitsev. Are people getting confused on why this trade happened? Brown has always been a solid player, he is riding an unsustainable shooting percentage this year but is still a great 3rd liner.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
But he is now! He had 30 points this season and was very good defensively! One of the best in the faceoff dot too if im not mistaken. So hes very comparable to Brown, only getting 4th line minutes and costs league minimum.

Obviously I'm not being serious by the way but you cant be an elite two way forward who only scores ~50 point pace over the season. Thats not elite, thats normal, solid production.

*sigh*. Okay. A solid producing, top 2 in the league shorthanded point producer and a top 2 in the league takeaway forward. Better?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It was a win-win, so yes the Sens won. So happy for Brown, he was a stud here too and put up amazing numbers in junior after his draft year. Glad he's having success there.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I've always been a huge fan of Brown but his problem is beating out others ahead of him for the price tag.

From a Toronto standpoint, would I rather Zaitsev + Brown or Brodie + Campbell + Spezza + Thornton?

Not a difficult choice.

If anything this just makes me annoyed at the cap as I would love to still have him here.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
*sigh*. Okay. A solid producing, top 2 in the league shorthanded point producer and a top 2 in the league takeaway forward. Better?
I mean, youre definitely leaning into his SHP production hard for something that might be a one off. He only had 2 the season before in 71 GP and 6 in the rest of his career including three 82 GP seasons.

Its not really a reasonable assumption to continue thinking he will lead the league in SHG and SHP the next season either, considering nobody has done it twice in a row in a decade. Only Marchand and JP Pageau are really consistent producers these days. Thats not to say i wouldnt love to see it either, cuz down town is an absolute beauty, but SHP isnt exactly something to hang your hat on as a consistent form of production.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I mean, youre definitely leaning into his SHP production hard for something that might be a one off. He only had 2 the season before in 71 GP and 6 in the rest of his career including three 82 GP seasons.

Its not really a reasonable assumption to continue thinking he will lead the league in SHG and SHP the next season either, considering nobody has done it twice in a row in a decade. Only Marchand and JP Pageau are really consistent producers these days. Thats not to say i wouldnt love to see it either, cuz down town is an absolute beauty, but SHP isnt exactly something to hang your hat on as a consistent form of production.

Perhaps, but he's the motor of a young team and will continue to get his chances. Plus, he's become a takeaway machine. The kind of guy you want around your youth and you definitely want come playoff time. A huge addition to Ottawa, which is what this poll is about. Ottawa does this trade every time and if this is the price to get Zaitsev off the books, that's very unfortunate cap management IMO.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Perhaps, but he's the motor of a young team and will continue to get his chances. Plus, he's become a takeaway machine. The kind of guy you want around your youth and you definitely want come playoff time. A huge addition to Ottawa, which is what this poll is about. Ottawa does this trade every time and if this is the price to get Zaitsev off the books, that's very unfortunate cap management IMO.
I agree with a lot of what you say except the last part. We are fortunate to have Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Brodie and Muzzin all locked up and if Brown was the asset needed to acquire the cap for it, its a very easy price to pay.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I agree with a lot of what you say except the last part. We are fortunate to have Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Brodie and Muzzin all locked up and if Brown was the asset needed to acquire the cap for it, its a very easy price to pay.

Yeah, fair enough. I can't argue with someone who is a fan when it comes to that kind of thing. I'd have jettisoned someone to make Brown stay, but then, I suppose at the time he wasn't as good and wasn't a priority.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
There is no way that Connor Brown is good enough that you still "win" the trade taking on the Zaitsev anchor to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad