Did the sens win the Zaitsev trade ?

Did sens win the trade

• Total voters

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I'll defer to the line of thought of the following poster:

MacKinnon vs Matthews

I totally agree.

Connor Brown putting more goals on the scoreboard than Tavares and Marner should be more valued than it is.

Lmaoo I am impressed. It’s a good try, I’ll give you that.

However, if you read my post again, you’ll see I was referring to secondary assists. That’s an opinion I stand by. Not shifting goal posts for different arguments.

Brown primary points: 27 (21G and 6A)
Marner primary points: 55 (20G and 35A)
Tavares primary points: 37 (19G and 18A)

As you can see my point stands. Marner is in another stratosphere and Tavares is comfortably in a tier above.

If we really want to get into who drives play we should look into primary scoring at even strength (hardest points to get and to me suggests play driving players):

Brown: 19P (14G and 5A)
Marner: 43P (20G and 23A)
Tavares: 28P (13G and 15A)

This proves my point again.

Not a debate. Marner at 11 is worth infinitely more than Brown at 3. One is a play driver. The other is not.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Toronto accomplished what they wanted to with that trade, but it's essentially undoing a bad contract and giving up Connor Brown for that.

It turned out to be a big win for the Sens two years into the trade. Zaitsev has been solid as #2 on a rebuilding team that had quite the horrible first half (more suited as the shutdown guy as #4 or #5 on a contender). Connor Brown has improved his 2-way game to play against the best of them.

Toronto gained cap space by losing assets.

Ottawa's roster got better as a result of the trade.

Hockey wise, it's win Ottawa.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lmaoo I am impressed. It’s a good try, I’ll give you that.

Thank you!

However, if you read my post again, you’ll see I was referring to secondary assists. That’s an opinion I stand by. Not shifting goal posts for different arguments.

Brown primary points: 27 (21G and 6A)
Marner primary points: 55 (20G and 35A)
Tavares primary points: 37 (19G and 18A)

As you can see my point stands. Marner is in another stratosphere and Tavares is comfortably in a tier above.

If we really want to get into who drives play we should look into primary scoring at even strength (hardest points to get and to me suggests play driving players):

Brown: 19P (14G and 5A)
Marner: 43P (20G and 23A)
Tavares: 28P (13G and 15A)

This proves my point again.

Not a debate. Marner at 11 is worth infinitely more than Brown at 3. One is a play driver. The other is not.

It's a win-win trade with some amusing side discussions going on.

I will say that Connor Brown's 5 SHG which you have conveniently omitted are harder points to get than at even-strength.

For Senators fans, it's a question of whether increased offensive confidence, more shots on net, and regular time in a top six situation will offset a likely decline in his peak shooting percentage season.

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Thank you!

It's a win-win trade with some amusing side discussions going on.

I will say that Connor Brown's 5 SHG which you have conveniently omitted are harder points to get than at even-strength.

For Senators fans, it's a question of whether increased offensive confidence, more shots on net, and regular time in a top six sitaution will offset a likely decline in his peak shooting percentage season.

Genuinely had no idea about the SHG thing. Most of these websites don’t really break data down in a very readable way. So I just took ESP. However, for what I was referring to the stats I used are fine. SHG don’t make you a play driver. They make you a great PKer for sure. But doesn’t say much about your play 5v5.

As for the trade itself. Something to consider is the way the opinion on Brown changed over his time in Toronto. In his first year, he was loved. And I mean loved. The gritty Toronto kid who worked his ass off and made the team. He was awesome.

Then Babcock decided to be Babcock. Brown was great on the third line. But Babcock decided Matthews should only play with checkers like Brown. Matthews was pissed and so were fans. Unfortunately, Babcock being Babcock exposed Brown and the flaws in his game. This led to people turning on Brown even tho Babcock was at fault.

A part of me believes that Dubas traded Brown in that package as an F U to Babcock. It came down to Hyman or Brown cap wise and Dubas stuck with his guy in Hyman. Which was a good call for the Leafs.

Had Babcock not been the Leafs coach, I highly doubt Brown is a Sen. He’s a good player who was unfortunately coached by a moron. At the end of the day, Zaitsev is so bad that I’m more than okay losing Brown to get rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad