Did the sens win the Zaitsev trade ?

Did sens win the trade

• Total voters

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I think it was a textbook win-win trade.

Shedding Zaitsev gave us the cap space to get Brodie. We also used the third in the deal to get Jack Campbell.

Brown has been a great add for the sens. Also, Zaitsev has played decently well.

Last edited:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Sens were laughed at when it happened we were just about to get rid of Ceci too with his contract expiring .

but Connor brown turned out pretty good
The price of eating 5 years of Zaitsev's contract at 4.5m was Connor Brown. You didn't just "get" Brown and "get rid of" Ceci. It was a pure cap dump for the Leafs and totalled almost 7 million out the door so they could turn around and bring in Brodie + Campbell. Clear net win for the Leafs.

Z still has 3 years left on his deal after this season. That 4.5m will still be on the books when the Sens need to re-sign Stutzle, among others. The Sens weaponized their cap space as a rebuilding team and returned a decent add-on asset, but Brown will likely be too old for their youth movement once competitive (turning 28 next season). He was also completely useless offensively in his last year w/ TOR and seems to need prime opportunity for his offense to show. Not many teams can afford to give a plugger that much leash.

It's win-win deal that won't be earth shattering for either team in the long-run.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Win win. Leafs dumped a terrible contract and freed up $$, and Ottawa got a couple solid players. Not much to this.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He'd be 2nd on the Leafs in goals and 1st in SH goals. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm glad you're happy with paying two guys 11 million apiece to score fewer goals than Connor Brown.
Glad Brown is doing well but he was never going to realize any potential in Toronto stuck on the 4th line. More playing time on a weak team has benefited him greatly.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I'm glad you're happy with paying two guys 11 million apiece to score fewer goals than Connor Brown.
Brown is doing that with opportunities he wouldn't get on the Leafs. I'm very happy for his success, but let's not pretend he would be doing this with Toronto. Ottawa doesn't have other players to supplant him so he's able to get those minutes he needs.

Come on NyQuil, you're smarter than this but you stoop to these bait level posts

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Without a doubt. Brown is amazing and Zaitsev is just a solid defenceman.

Can't believe that Toronto gave them up for a 3rd and ONE year of Cody Ceci. Baffling in all honesty.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brown is doing that with opportunities he wouldn't get on the Leafs. I'm very happy for his success, but let's not pretend he would be doing this with Toronto. Ottawa doesn't have other players to supplant him so he's able to get those minutes he needs.

I honestly think that the Leafs could use a few more players like Connor Brown.

I guess time will tell.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Come on NyQuil, you're smarter than this but you stoop to these bait level posts
Or if f he was given that opportunity on the Leafs, he’d probably have more goals then

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Or if f he was given that opportunity on the Leafs, he’d probably have more goals then
He was given lots of opportunity, he was a Babcock favourite. The problem was that Babcock influenced his game to turn him into a grinder/defensive minded player.. it made him more responsible but it stunted his development offensively. Brown even kind of alluded to this in an interview in his first season in Ottawa.

And beyond that, we had other options that looked better in our top six at the time. Brown wasn't gonna play ahead of Marner, Nylander, Hyman, Kapanen, JVR etc. Those are basically all the top 4 winger spots gone, so that would only leave room in the bottom six, which Babcock loved to use for matchup minutes. That's probably why Brown felt the need to become a defensive minded player. Despite this Brown did get to play a lot with Matthews and Kadri and he just looked average at best his last couple of years.

He wouldn't have had the chance to shine in Toronto, plain and simple.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Browns a great dude and it's awesome to see him having a great season.

He's also has a 17% sh% so I wouldn't get used to him scoring at this rate beyond this year

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Leafs weren't really trying to 'win' the trade, but rather to dump Zaitsev. Ottawa was obviously getting the better return from the outset.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I honestly think that the Leafs could use a few more players like Connor Brown.

I guess time will tell.
Any team could use a Connor Brown, he's a good player lol. But again, the type of player Connor Brown is on Ottawa couldn't have existed on the Leafs. He played tons of minutes with Matthews and Kadri but ultimately he was replaceable his last two seasons here and simply far too many guys ahead of him.

Guys often need a change of scenery to find their footing, no different here with Brown. Happy for him and hope he continues to be successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad