Did the sens win the Zaitsev trade ?

Did sens win the trade

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Browns a great dude and it's awesome to see him having a great season.

He's also has a 17% sh% so I wouldn't get used to him scoring at this rate beyond this year

The hope is that he’ll get more shots playing with someone like Stutzle.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Glad Brown is doing well but he was never going to realize any potential in Toronto stuck on the 4th line. More playing time on a weak team has benefited him greatly.

Maybe you guys should have played him higher in your lineup? He would be 2nd on your team in goals. On top of all the other great things he brings to the table (2 way play, penalty killing, etc.)

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
How is Zaitsev? Is he a top 3-type defender now on a cup-winning type team? [serious question]

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I honestly think that the Leafs could use a few more players like Connor Brown.

I guess time will tell.
Every team would be happy to have a few more Connor Browns. The problem is that Connor Brown costs 3.6m a season and there's a salary cap.

We keep trading for guys like Joey Anderson and try to develop our guys like Brooks to play like Brown. Keefe and Dubas love guys who work their butts off and Brown brings solid skills to go with it that make him so effective. Unfortunately, the salary cap means that we have to choose between 11m forwards and "a few guys like Connor Brown". If anyone's got Connor Brown with 2 years left on an ELC and scoring 20g available for a trade I'm sure Dubas would be all over it, but those guys aren't available and we can't afford the full price version.

Maybe you guys should have played him higher in your lineup? He would be 2nd on your team in goals. On top of all the other great things he brings to the table (2 way play, penalty killing, etc.)

Our coach was Mike Babcock. Mike Babcock LIVES for guys like Connor Brown.

Connor Brown played a season on Matthews' wing. He played almost 200 powerplay minutes (2nd unit) in 2016-17 and 2017-18 for a total of 7 points. Connor Brown scored 20g as a rookie with us, he was given every opportunity in the world to establish himself as a top6 forward but it didn't click. It's really great to see him blossoming in Ottawa, there were the occasional flash in Toronto, but don't for a second pretend that he didn't get his chances here. He was great, but he's taken the next step in his game with you guys.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Value wise it might tilt towards the Senators. That being said, "all" they received for taking on Zaitsev's terrible deal was Connor Brown and given where the Senators are at in the rebuild I'm not sure I'd count that as a clear win.

Brown was obviously great this past season and will still have time to make an impact for the Sens. He seems like a guy that will put up his best years while the Sens miss the playoffs and might be shipped out but the time they enter their contention window. There's a lot still up in the air here from a Sens perspective (can they eventually flip Brown for a return, is/was his impact off the ice a major reason for improvement from the kids, ect.

At face value I think it's easier to see how this makes sense for the Maple Leafs given they used that cap space on Brodie/Campbell who have been clear improvements for them. It's certainly not a loss for Ottawa, but I'm not convinced this helps them down the road, and that should have been the priority.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not really. As useful of a player as Brown is, at the time he wasn't going to play ahead of Marner, Nylander or Kapanen in the right side. I don't think 1 season of goal scoring with an inflated sh% post trade is enough evidence to say otherwise either.

He wasn't the first player to get held back because of depth chart obstacles in the NHL and he won't be the last. Personally I'm just happy hes been able to cement himself well with his new team

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Without a doubt. Brown is amazing and Zaitsev is just a solid defenceman.

Can't believe that Toronto gave them up for a 3rd and ONE year of Cody Ceci. Baffling in all honesty.
Do you understand why Toronto made the trade? It was to free up over $6 million in order to retain upcoming free agents

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is sort of a win-win. But it's also a strangely bad deal in some ways.

The Leafs cleared like $7m+, which would be great, but they immediately spent most of that on Cody Ceci, who was a bad fit. It wasn't actually a 1 year cap dump of Ceci, like many claim. The Sens had just given him that qualifying offer before the trade, so he wasn't a dump to them.

How often is it a "win-win" when a team takes on a piece that it considers a dump, and the team giving him up actually wanted him at that salary?

Connor Brown is a good player too. Leafs fans can say he isn't needed there but there's no question he would be playing a big role in the playoffs for them.

Since the Leafs didn't get any immediate cap benefit from the salary dump (it was wasted on Ceci and the difference between Kadri and Barrie+Kerfoot), they would have been better off waiting a year to make a big salary dump. Who knows, maybe Connor Brown would have been just enough to get them through Columbus and on to the next round.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He'd be 2nd on the Leafs in goals and 1st in SH goals. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm glad you're happy with paying two guys 11 million apiece to score fewer goals than Connor Brown.

Someone has to score. Even on a bad team.

Brown is a good player but please don’t be so stupid to compare him to Tavares or Marner. Just hoping you are trolling and not being serious.

I guess Brown >>>> Tkachuk if he’s being compared to Marner and Tavares lmao.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Do you understand why Toronto made the trade? It was to free up over $6 million in order to retain upcoming free agents
Maybe if the Maple Leafs didn't give out such large contracts to their players off of ELC'S they could afford to keep around a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenceman.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Maybe if the Maple Leafs didn't give out such large contracts to their players off of ELC'S they could afford to keep around a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenceman.

Leafs paid a top 5-10 winger and top 3 C the money they deserved. You would be lucky if you get talent that you can pay 11M and feel like you got a great deal.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Leafs paid a top 5-10 winger and top 3 C the money they deserved. You would be lucky if you get talent that you can pay 11M and feel like you got a great deal.
Compared to contracts of players of similar skill coming of their ELC's; the Leafs got totally owned. Once one got paid big bucks, the other two expected the same thing.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Compared to contracts of players of similar skill coming of their ELC's; the Leafs got totally owned. Once one got paid big bucks, the other two expected the same thing.

You can afford to pay your stars properly when you get bargains like Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian etc to round out your roster. Those guys together make just about what Zaitsev makes.

We were told that the Leafs won’t have depth after signing the top forwards and we’ve got so much depth that players like Nick Robertson, Sandin etc who would be regulars on most teams couldn’t be in the lineup.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You can afford to pay your stars properly when you get bargains like Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian etc to round out your roster. Those guys together make just about what Zaitsev makes.

We were told that the Leafs won’t have depth after signing the top forwards and we’ve got so much depth that players like Nick Robertson, Sandin etc who would be regulars on most teams couldn’t be in the lineup.
Agree with the bolded.

As for Nick Robertson, nothing against him as he's an amazing prospect. However, a guy like him I doubt would make many teams league wide (This season). He's the type of young player you bring in if you're up against the cap and need young, cheap talent. I like to use Brandon Saad as an example of this. So he has the best chance to play in Toronto than anywhere else.
Rebuilding teams like LA, Ottawa and the Rangers often times has stiff internal competition and have multiple prospects similar to Robertson to make the team so the internal competition is more stiff.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON

It's an imposter!

giphy.gif

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I'm just happy that Ottawa got 2 solid players; a 2nd line RW and a #3 d-man.

Zaitsev's contract - a #3 d-man, paid #3 dollars to be a #2 on a rebuilding team.
Brown SH% - who cares? He's been in Ottawa for two years with a 0.61 PPG and 0.63 PPG. That's consistency.
Brown's opportunity - 8th in PP TOI among forwards in Ottawa, playing between the 2nd and 3rd lines and not being carried by any other players in particular.
No space in Toronto - I couldn't help but notice the Leafs pick up Ottawa's healthy scratch and put him on the first line for an extended period this year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fans too often see trades as win/loss but in reality, teams are trying to accomplish different things.

Leafs "had" to do this, Sens did really well with the players obtained (particularly Brown), it was worth it.

Brown is doing that with opportunities he wouldn't get on the Leafs. I'm very happy for his success, but let's not pretend he would be doing this with Toronto. Ottawa doesn't have other players to supplant him so he's able to get those minutes he needs.

This is false tho.

Connor Brown was miles better than a guy that just posted 65, 70 and 56 (pro-rated) pts seasons.

He just plays a lot because he's exceptional on the PK, a great skater with a non-stop motor and flawless work ethic. He has certainly reached a new level since last season. Speaking of opportunities, didn't play on the PP much

NHL Stats

How is Zaitsev? Is he a top 3-type defender now on a cup-winning type team? [serious question]

I'd be comfortable with him as my #4-5. Problem is he is #2 for the moment, but the team is a work in progress obviously.

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Zaitsev has a bad contract and Brown was a 4th liner here. You're being quite generous in their evaluations here.

Keeping Zaitsev would have cost them Kapanen/Johnsson at the time (maybe even Nylander) and now down the line the Leafs allocated similar money to a much better defenceman in TJ Brodie. Dont act like the Leafs hands are tied.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He'd be 2nd on the Leafs in goals and 1st in SH goals. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm glad you're happy with paying two guys 11 million apiece to score fewer goals than Connor Brown.

1. He's #1 on EVERY team in SH goals
2. I think 50pts in 56 games is pretty good, not to mention the other player who doubled Brown's point output.
3. Do you really want to talk about teams goal leaders?
4. From Toronto, drafted and developed by Toronto. You're welcome.

I still love Brownie.

Reactions: Atomos2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad