Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

• Yes they did

• Absolutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Kadri love thread masquerading as a Dubas hate thread. Gotta blame someone,

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Like I have said in other threads

Under Lou: It was all about the Logo in the front

Under Dubas: It is all about the name on the back

Lou's philosophy fosters "team first" culture and a "team" identity.

Dubas' philosophy fosters "me first" culture and "just me" identity.

Hockey isn't basketball where a star player can potentially win you a game/series.

There is a reason Stanley Cup is the toughest trophy to win in all of sports. It takes a "TEAM" to win it not some individuals or their corsi/xGF figures. Stanley Cup isn't won on spreadsheet it is won on ice.

I still remember Ovi saying something along the lines of "If Leafs want to go deep or challenge for championship; they will have to play differently. They will have to choose between individual success or team success."
Couldn't have said it better myself.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really hope you're wrong. Rielly should have gotten the C over Tavares too. But that's just my opinion. Giving it to the new guy in was a mistake. We turned around as a franchise when we drafted Matthews. It was Matty or Mo's C to be had imo, not a newcomers. Really hoping for some change this year

There were stories floating and I think there was also a picture on redit (not photoshoped btw) that the "C" was going to be Matthews; but they had to change their decision at the last minute because of the "moon-gate"

Dude just go watch Rielly's interview. Rielly was also a fan of Babcock btw and that is why I have a gut feeling that Mo is gonna walk. I don't think Rielly agrees with how Dubas is doing things.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Without a doubt the Leafs need to get mentally tougher and a bit grittier, but let's not pretend these bolded players were difference makers. They had 3 playoff series with those players and the results were no different.

I think everyone here would undo the Kadri trade (if only to get a better return elsewhere.

But fact remains Kadri having a good playoffs this year fails to change the fact that he failed to be a difference maker for the Leafs in his previous playoff series, nor does it erase his selfish stupidity over those suspensions.

I'm a Kadri fan then and still now, but folks forget history too quickly around here

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
There were stories floating and I think there was also a picture on redit (not photoshoped btw) that the "C" was going to be Matthews; but they had to change their decision at the last minute because of the "moon-gate"

Dude just go watch Rielly's interview. Rielly was also a fan of Babcock btw and that is why I have a gut feeling that Mo is gonna walk. I don't think Rielly agrees with how Dubas is doing things.
Matty was once again our best player and he'll continue to mature each year. He deserves the C and hopefully he gets it at some point here in Toronto. Tavares contract is not going to age well for us.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Matty was once again our best player and he'll continue to mature each year. He deserves the C and hopefully he gets it at some point here in Toronto. Tavares contract is not going to age well for us.

JT and Nylander - 2yrs of contract gone
Matthews and Marner - one year gone

Nylander and Matthews both have 4 more yers
JT I expect will start to decline from 4th year of his contract
Rielly, Andersen and Hyman contracts coming up I think after next season (with no decent goalie in teh system)
Dermott and Mikheyev are up for contracts this off-season

we have 5.9million in capspace with only 17 players signed

You think it is bad now; it is not just JT's contract that is not going to age well; this team is on a downward trajectory. I am almost certain that this team won't even make the playoffs next season.

I had made a few predictions that this team may not make the playoffs this upcoming season and it came true

Proof:
July 2019
Kyle Dubas Part 3

I might get flamed for this but I think Leafs will have tough competition even making the playoffs this season.

Other related posts (some examples)
SEP 2019
Kyle Dubas - Hot Seat Watch (Edit-Added not on hot seat option)

OCT 2019
Leafs on ice results now and playoffs - Who is more to blame?

NOV 2019
Kyle Dubas Discussion

I could give more example going through my post history; but I rally want to watch the Avs game and then go for a run.

But I hope you get the point.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It bothers everyone too. It was of his own doing (the refs not calling the game properly contributed). If I go and pull up from this very forum the old comments the moment Kadri was penalized or suspended how vastly different did everyone view his play?

Kessel and Bozak both won Cups when they were traded, does that mean they should have stayed here and they were guaranteed to do the same?
I don’t know, but Kessel is everything Nylander wishes he were, just much better. Better skater, better shot and better playmaker.
He’s also proven that he ups his game in the playoffs, both with Toronto and with Pittsburgh.
They share the same deficiencies too.
In reality, Nylander will top out as a poor mans Phil Kessel, which is nothing to sneer at.

Reactions: Polaris1010

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hard to say.

- Kerfoot gives us a cheaper 3C. Had he been healthy all year, I think he would have been pretty effective in that role. He is not as good as Kadri, but probably more bang for the buck and a longer term. I think we missed what Kadri could have brought in the playoffs, although of course he has a history of crossing the line and getting suspended.

- Barrie was a huge disappointment, but he did pile up a good number of points under Keefe. Given the injury woes on defense, there was a stretch where Barrie became very important to our team. On the one hand, we might not have made it to the playoffs without Barrie. On the other hand, that stretch where we became very dependent on him was a rough stretch to say the least.

So it's hard to say if the Leafs are better or worse.

I still think it reflects poorly on Dubas, though. Kadri was a gem of an asset; back-to-back 30g seasons, physical, high-end 2C, on a great contract. We should have been able to get pieces in return that definitely made us better rather than being in the grey area.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I think the answer is pretty obvious. We didn’t make the plays offs. Yes it’s a Covid cup but we didn’t make it. I was fine trading Kadri but i was hoping to get a decent dman. Not a bottom six piece of garbage.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
He had a valuable asset and blew it on an inferior Jake Gardiner. I like Kerf but neither guys addressed a need whatsoever.

Matthews to Tavares

Nov 24, 2010
This seems like another thread to drum up the Kadri fan love. He failed and cost us twice in the playoffs. It was the right time to trade Kadri, but the pieces didn't work out, but Kerfoot is a solid 3C. Barrie's performance is what really ruined this trade.
We don't need or miss Kadri.

It's funny people focus on this bad trade, but don't say a word on the amazing Muzzin trade.

Matthews to Tavares

Nov 24, 2010
This seems like another thread to drum up the Kadri fan love. He failed and cost us twice in the playoffs. It was the right time to trade Kadri, but the pieces didn't work out, but Kerfoot is a solid 3C. Barrie's performance is what really ruined this trade.
We don't need or miss Kadri.

It's funny people focus on this bad trade, but don't say a word on the amazing Muzzin trade.

Speak for yourself bud. Kadri is exactly what this team needs a solid centre that can score, play defence and has sand paper to his game.

Matthews to Tavares

Nov 24, 2010
This is incorrect.
He signed Tavares, upgraded the D core with Muzzin and got some solid prospects.
Just because he traded the great Kadri, doesn't mean we became worse with him as GM.

Of course we got worse. This guy shoved Sparks down our throats when we had a perfectly good backup. We lost every back to back because of him, that adds up in the point column. As much as I love Tavares we never needed him, we were perfectly fine without him. Signing Tavares made Matthews and Marner demand more money which leaves us less cap room to build a successful playoff team. His whole analytics vision does not work and will never work. A team needs balance you cannot have the same type of player at every position it just won’t work. We have such a soft team that will continuously fail in the playoffs. Kadri is what we needed, especially with his cap friendly contract, he was such a bargain. Just think our only bargain contract is Nylander and that’s only because everyone else on our team is overpaid so other NHL teams may not see Nylander as a bargain. Shanny wanted to bring back respectability to this organization and he was in the right track with Lou and Babs but now completely lost it again by hiring a rookie GM. This is not a time to experiment with the leafs organization it’s not like we’ve won so many cups in the last 20 years that this time let’s try something different. This management team blew it. They finally drafted a first overall superstar and can’t build around him

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
you a blaming a guy that turned the puck over in the other teams slot? sounds like a system error then

the is something seriously wrong if a team has to fear a turn over in the other teams slot.

Usually not a problem if you center can actually back check and get up to speed relatively quickly. When Tavares pivots and starts from a stand still everyone else is long gone. He's slow, and being slow is a defensive liability in today's NHL. Especially against breakouts. Because of that he's also completely ineffective 3vs3 overtime. The other team skates laps around him and maintain possession for the majority of time. I remember many people here didn't want him on the ice 3v3.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Kadri love thread masquerading as a Dubas hate thread. Gotta blame someone,

Maybe you're right. Kadri really was my favourite Leaf before Jack Dubas sold him for some Rocky Mountain magic beans. Maybe I'm entirely indifferent about the GM and just love Nazem Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad