Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

• Yes they did

• Absolutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Well, that settles that I suppose.

I didn't love Barrie as a fit at the time of the trade, and it looks even worse a year out. That being said, I appreciate that Dubas took a swing at solving the RD issue instead of re-signing Ron Hainsey or something.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Well, that settles that I suppose.

I didn't love Barrie as a fit at the time of the trade, and it looks even worse a year out. That being said, I appreciate that Dubas took a swing at solving the RD issue instead of re-signing Ron Hainsey or something.
I didn't like the trade. Seemed like he did the trade just to get rid of Kadri. He absolutely rushed trading him. Didn't think Barrie was the right choice and we were better off going for a defensive defenseman. He also got rid of our position of strength - our centre depth.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Obviously not. The offseason of 2019 looking back gets a D. Dubas failed nearly in every transaction during that offseason.

The Marleau deal with it being 13th overall and us doing the deal in the first place to keep KK and AJ who might be dealt for cap purposes this offseason

Barrie and kerfoot both been incredibly disappointing here. Kadri paced for 60 points and having a great playoffs this year.

Zaitsev deal for Ceci. Looks decent looking back but now the selection of brown fairs poorly with him hecoinign a valuable 3rd liner putting around 50 points pace.

Marners contract obviously been discussed enough for consensus that it was a bad deal paid too much for too little term.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I didn't like the trade. Seemed like he did the trade just to get rid of Kadri. He absolutely rushed trading him. Didn't think Barrie was the right choice and we were better off going for a defensive defenseman. He also got rid of our position of strength - our centre depth.
to be fair he had a deal lined up with Calgary, for Brodie +, but Kadri would not waive to go the flames...., but yea Dubas struck out on the trade, Barrie was horrible.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Obviously not. The offseason of 2019 looking back gets a D. Dubas failed nearly in every transaction during that offseason.

The Marleau deal with it being 13th overall and us doing the deal in the first place to keep KK and AJ who might be dealt for cap purposes this offseason

Barrie and kerfoot both been incredibly disappointing here. Kadri paced for 60 points and having a great playoffs this year.

Zaitsev deal for Ceci. Looks decent looking back but now the selection of brown fairs poorly with him hecoinign a valuable 3rd liner putting around 50 points pace.

Marners contract obviously been discussed enough for consensus that it was a bad deal paid too much for too little term.
The team had progressively gone worse since Dubas became GM. He was better as assistant GM.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Did the leaf became a better team? No

Last summer option to solve any defensive problem was low. So yes they take a shot with barrie because kadri abort trade with calgary for brodie. This summer a lot of dman available at free agency and on trade market so if leaf start the next season without any real upgrade, Dubas must be fire.

Reactions: Polaris1010

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Slightly worse, but Kadri did not have a good year last year and he's not a third line C. He could have transferred to the wing but seemed a step slower.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nope, but not all trades work out on paper all the time.

Barrie had some great offensive numbers on Colorado, which compensated for his defensive issues ... It's only logical that on a team with more offensive pieces that he would at least be able to replicate close to 60 points. But he struggled.

That being said trading 3 years of Kadri for 1 year of a type of d-man the Leafs really didn't need seemed like a trade for the sake of making a trade while Kadri's value was good.

Probably shouldn't make the same mistake with the likes of Nylander/Marner. As in - the return has to be right otherwise hang onto them.

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Why would Dubas have even arranged a trade with a team on Kadri’s no trade list? It’s actually quite ignorant and stupid.
Kadri worked hard and took a discounted contract with that small no trade caveat. He obviously didn’t want to leave Toronto and then you arrange a trade to a team on his no trade list and ask him to waive it.
It’s mind boggling in its stupidity.
Not a Dubas hater but that was quite a ridiculous slip up.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Why would Dubas have even arranged a trade with a team on Kadri’s no trade list? It’s actually quite ignorant and stupid.
Kadri worked hard and took a discounted contract with that small no trade caveat. He obviously didn’t want to leave Toronto and then you arrange a trade to a team on his no trade list and ask him to waive it.
It’s mind boggling in its stupidity.
Not a Dubas hater but that was quite a ridiculous slip up.

Seriously, he should have gone to Kadri and have a seriously talk with him first..tell him he's being traded, so he either goes to a place like Calgary where he is still relatively close to his family or he'll trade him far away.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's entirely possible that Calgary approached Toronto about trading for Kadri ... I don't believe it was explicitly stated that Dubas sought out Calgary on this trade, and then went to Naz.

Reactions: PAZ and Buds17

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Absolutely Not.

On paper it was a good trade. Kadri was not trusted by the coach, team of management anymore. He was the longest serving Leaf and never won a round. Not all his fault of ciurse, but fact.

Yes the trade was forced, any team with dignity would make it. I bet you Kadri himself knows this, he lost his cool and it cost the team...again. He screwed up. Live and learn.

Dubas asked around, he wanted Brodie, it fell through, this was the best trade available when he further asked around. The Man crush some have on him is worse than when Sundin was traded and he is in the Hall of Fame.

He's matured more in Colorado I'm sure. He could have done it here but unfortunately he didn't. That's sports.

Reactions: Hclass47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland