Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

• Yes they did

• Absolutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Don't forget, Kadri put the kibosh on the trade to Calgary. Dubas was forced to find the second best offer.

The Leafs still received full value, not Dubas fault that Barrie didn't work out, he was on a trajectory to be a major difference maker in a contract year (so we could assume he'd have a monster showing).

This season didn't unfold as anyone hoped, for the record, neither did any of the 8 seasons Kadri was here. So what is the big loss? Lose with Kadri or lose with Barrie and Kerfoot. Clearly none of these players put us into the next round.

When Kadri first joined the Leafs he was soft and whiny, some believed he was a diver. He's had disciplinary problems, both with the league and the team, the team stuck with him through ALOT.

Ultimately, you can't let your team and management down in back to back grueling series and expect to be back. Looking at him now and saying "wow look at what we lost", isn't accurate. He didn't manage his emotions and it's hurt the team. That's it. Strike 5 or 6 for him I'd guess.

I can tell you this. If I am a player getting pounded for a 7 game series against the Bruins, we are desperate to get over the hump and my teammate, not once but TWICE decimates our lineup and our chances against the dragon, I don't want to be anywhere near him if I have any pride or self respect.

Maybe some of you have played sports and see it differently. If so, please explain how YOU would feel after those back to back suspensions, after his coach pleaded with him to settle down.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
The original trade was supposed to be for Hamilton right? That would of been a good trade

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sure Kadri lost his cool but its not that cut and dry. He showed pride, love for his team-mates and unity defending his team-mates. No one on the Leafs stood up for themselves. Debrusk was running around kind of bullying Leafs and no push back from anyone but Kadri. The Leafs should have made wrist bands with #43 on them after that happened to unify the team. " We have to stand up for each other" " We are in this together" " Play with some fire and heart". Kadri being traded, basically traded the Leafs soul. No one loved that jersey, loved being a Leaf like Kadri did since Clark and Gilmour. The trade still bothers me.

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
Big loss for team. To a lesser extent a think Gardiner was too. Team was better last year.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Sure Kadri lost his cool but its not that cut and dry. He showed pride, love for his team-mates and unity defending his team-mates. No one on the Leafs stood up for themselves. Debrusk was running around kind of bullying Leafs and no push back from anyone but Kadri. The Leafs should have made wrist bands with #43 on them after that happened to unify the team. " We have to stand up for each other" " We are in this together" " Play with some fire and heart". Kadri being traded, basically traded the Leafs soul. No one loved that jersey, loved being a Leaf like Kadri did since Clark and Gilmour. The trade still bothers me.

It bothers everyone too. It was of his own doing (the refs not calling the game properly contributed). If I go and pull up from this very forum the old comments the moment Kadri was penalized or suspended how vastly different did everyone view his play?

Kessel and Bozak both won Cups when they were traded, does that mean they should have stayed here and they were guaranteed to do the same?

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
If you put a poll up for this question, I'm sure the answer is 100% "No".

A more interesting question is how people felt during the trade.

I didn't like it when I first heard it because I was hoping for a solid defensive RHD, but hopeful to see what Barrie may bring.

If you look at some old threads, most people didn't like the trade not because of Barrie, but because there was no terms on Barrie's contract. Turns out this is the only saving grace on the trade as we are now free to use the money on UFA RHD or trade for one.

Barrie Extension Numbers?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tor-col-nazem-kadri-calle-rosen-2020-3rd-for-tyson-barrie-50-retain-alex-kerfoot-2020-6th.2664093/

There was even a Sportsnet article that defends the $8 mil asking price and compares this trade to the Kawahi Leonard deal (Quick Shifts: Tyson Barrie's asking price not so outrageous - Sportsnet.ca). As of now, this comparison may indeed turn out to be a good one ... not for the leafs but for the Avs.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Kadri - 6 points in 5 games. Stepping up when the team needs him to. Providing a spark when the team is lagging. A solid depth center with heart and bite, who doesn't back down for anything, on an excellent contract. The type of tenacious player the avs needed but sorely lacked, and now have. Exactly the type of player we desperately need, but traded away, for trash mind you.

Watching the guy play makes me miss him so much. Our joke of a GM traded him for peanuts. Incredibly frustrating and sad.

Cue the "but he would have just gotten suspended again!!!1!" comments.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He needed to be traded to have his wake up call.

It wasn't happening here.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
He’s gone, move on.
I've moved on, just miss his hustle in the Blue and White is all.

Sucks that this team is still yet to move on from the failure of a GM who made that trade. The GM who has made us progressively worse each year he's been in charge.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've moved on, just miss his hustle in the Blue and White is all.

Sucks that this team is still yet to move on from the failure of a GM who made that trade. The GM who has made us progressively worse each year he's been in charge.
Sure, that’s fine but it’s just going to get merged to another Kadri thread anyway.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Kadri had a game winner in the 1st game against arizona and had a primary assist on a game winning goal against arizona in the 2nd game

Seems that if team mates have each other's back and play with heart; Kadri doesn't have to try to be a "He-Man" all by himself
Yup, Kadri is a beauty. And we traded him for two heartless chumps who haven't laid a hit or a punch in their life. Experts in Dubas hockey, though.

Should have traded FOR another Kadri, not trade him away for scraps.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yup, Kadri is a beauty. And we traded him for two heartless chumps who haven't laid a hit or a punch in their life. Experts in Dubas hockey, though.

Should have traded FOR another Kadri, not trade him away for scraps.

It's not just that Kadri provided some "vet" presence, sand-paper and secondary scoring but he was also a very cap friendly contract.

If I screwed up at my job as bad as Dubas has I would have been fired long ago. Dubas is gonna be fired eventually but by that time the team would be way behind; Tavares' prime years would have been wasted, Matthews would walk as a UFA.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kadri should still be a Leaf, sucks he forced the trade with the second playoff suspension.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
In 2016/17 when the Avs finished with 48 points while the Leafs finished with 95 points and took the 118 point Capitals to 6 close games, who would have thought that three years later the the Leafs would, would be playing at a 95 point pace, missing the playoffs, and without ever having won a round in the preceding years, while the Avs were playing at a 108 point pace, and from all appearances heading to playoff success for the second year in a row.

Well built and managed team, vs not.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
It's not just that Kadri provided some "vet" presence, sand-paper and secondary scoring but he was also a very cap friendly contract.

If I screwed up at my job as bad as Dubas has I would have been fired long ago. Dubas is gonna be fired eventually but by that time the team would be way behind; Tavares' prime years would have been wasted, Matthews would walk as a UFA.
Solid post. If Dubas isn't gone and replaced with someone that has some sort of idea of how to win in the NHL this off-season, it will be too late.

Dubas belongs in the OHL. He can play his razzle dazzle, finesse, no contact hockey over there and win. Not gonna happen in the men's league. What a complete and utter failure of a GM he is.

Reactions: Faltorvo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Looking at Rielly's interview; and we know nobody loves being a Leaf more than Rielly, I think he is going to walk as a UFA. I have a gut feeling Rielly is not happy with what dubas has done.

by the time dubas is fired this team would be even a bigger joke in the league than it already is. I am sick to my stomach with fans of other teams laughing at us and I am still getting text messages from my friends who are habs fans.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Solid post. If Dubas isn't gone and replaced with someone that has some sort of idea of how to win in the NHL this off-season, it will be too late.

Dubas belongs in the OHL. He can play his razzle dazzle, finesse, no contact hockey over there and win. Not gonna happen in the men's league. What a complete and utter failure of a GM he is.

Like I have said in other threads

Under Lou: It was all about the Logo in the front

Under Dubas: It is all about the name on the back

Lou's philosophy fosters "team first" culture and a "team" identity.

Dubas' philosophy fosters "me first" culture and "just me" identity.

Hockey isn't basketball where a star player can potentially win you a game/series.

There is a reason Stanley Cup is the toughest trophy to win in all of sports. It takes a "TEAM" to win it not some individuals or their corsi/xGF figures. Stanley Cup isn't won on spreadsheet it is won on ice.

I still remember Ovi saying something along the lines of "If Leafs want to go deep or challenge for championship; they will have to play differently. They will have to choose between individual success or team success."

Reactions: Bender

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Looking at Rielly's interview; and we know nobody loves being a Leaf more than Rielly, I think he is going to walk as a UFA. I have a gut feeling Rielly is not happy with what dubas has done.

by the time dubas is fired this team would be even a bigger joke in the league than it already is. I am sick to my stomach with fans of other teams laughing at us and I am still getting text messages from my friends who are habs fans.
I really hope you're wrong. Rielly should have gotten the C over Tavares too. But that's just my opinion. Giving it to the new guy in was a mistake. We turned around as a franchise when we drafted Matthews. It was Matty or Mo's C to be had imo, not a newcomers. Really hoping for some change this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad