News Article: Did Mike Babcock Almost Ruin the Toronto Maple Leafs?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
seems like you should stay out of a discussion you clearly don't understand
Good one!
Lol it's obvious you don't understand.
I guess when you get caught in the tangle of your own BS you lash out with weak insults.
Carry on

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
After watching Leafs get embarrassed 6-3 by losing to a 42 year old Zamboni driver goalie I was finally convinced Babcock was the problem and change was needed.
Yes let's base all our decisions on one awful game.

All other factors mean nothing including our strong post-Babs record and 2 recent quality wins over our likely playoff opponent TB.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
one day maybe you'll have actual success to rest your hat on instead of excuses :)

We can talk when that happens
One day maybe you'll have actual facts to rest your hat on instead of a single boogie man scapegoat

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Good one!
Lol it's obvious you don't understand.
I guess when you get caught in the tangle of your own BS you lash out with weak insults.
Carry on
caught in my own bs ?

posters are saying JT is underpaid because there was a rumor SJ offered more , i'm merely pointing out how most of the ufa's that sign above what there worth all say they were offered more with the corresponding rumor of team x making the offer and used Clarkson as an example so i have no idea what warped point you're trying to make

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
One day maybe you'll have actual facts to rest your hat on instead of a single boogie man scapegoat

I do. The team has regressed since Dubas took over. Ignore that reality all you like. He managed to make us a playoff bubble team this year. That's how bad he's done.

I blame Shanny most.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes let's base all our decisions on one awful game.

All other factors mean nothing including our strong post-Babs record and 2 recent quality wins over our likely playoff opponent TB.
have you seen our record the last 20ish games ?

and while Babs had to go due to losing the team how is it his fault our idiot GM gave him a b/u goalie that couldn't win a game?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
caught in my own bs ?

posters are saying JT is underpaid because there was a rumor SJ offered more , i'm merely pointing out how most of the ufa's that sign above what there worth all say they were offered more with the corresponding rumor of team x making the offer and used Clarkson as an example so i have no idea what warped point you're trying to make
Your argument was saying dubas is a bad gm andbused the overpayment of Tavares as an example even though he signed here for less than offered.
Your next post said that UFA's are always overpaid and seldom worth what they get paid.
So, if ufa's are always overpaid, logically you cannot use this for an argument that dubas is a bad GM.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I do. The team has regressed since Dubas took over. Ignore that reality all you like. He managed to make us a playoff bubble team this year. That's how bad he's done.

I blame Shanny most.

I’m no Einstein, but maybe, just maaaaybe, it’s harder to win when you don’t have your three best players on ELCs.

If anything we should be mad Lou couldn’t do better with such a favourable salary situation. Instead he torpedoed us with bad contracts and overpaying 4th liners, just as he is doing with the Isles.

Reactions: kb

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Your argument was saying dubas is a bad gm andbused the overpayment of Tavares as an example even though he signed here for less than offered.
Your next post said that UFA's are always overpaid and seldom worth what they get paid.
So, if ufa's are always overpaid, logically you cannot use this for an argument that dubas is a bad GM.
not quite but at least you gave the spin a better effort this time

and just to be clear , the SJ offer was a rumor , it was never confirmed and grew legs to try to paint Johnny Snowshoes and the Dube in a better light

can't blame them though since it seems to always work regardless of how many times it gets used , lol

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I’m no Einstein, but maybe, just maaaaybe, it’s harder to win when you don’t have your three best players on ELCs.

It's not like the ELC window and the difficulties of it's ending were widely talked about in the season's prior to Lou's release. Nope, not an easily identifiable variable at all

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
not quite but at least you gave the spin a better effort this time

and just to be clear , the SJ offer was a rumor , it was never confirmed and grew legs to try to paint Johnny Snowshoes and the Dube in a better light

can't blame them though since it seems to always work regardless of how many times it gets used , lol
Even if the SJ off was not real, by your own admission UFA's are overpaid, so it's not a viable argument against dubas unless you believe JT was grossly overpaid above market value, which I don't think many people do.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018

I blame Shanny most.
Last time I checked were in 3rd just like the previous 4 years we haven't regressed. With everyone healthy we could beat TB we have the same odds of advancing as the past 3 playoffs despite being hit harder with injuries and subpar tending.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
have you seen our record the last 20ish games ?

and while Babs had to go due to losing the team how is it his fault our idiot GM gave him a b/u goalie that couldn't win a game?
Yes Dubas made a mistake trusting Hutch but he got us a quality backup now and ofcourse will only be criticized by you haters.

Interesting you choose the last 20 games why not post-Babs since that's what the thread is about. But there our record is strong and doesn't fit your agenda.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Even if the SJ off was not real, by your own admission UFA's are overpaid, so it's not a viable argument against dubas unless you believe JT was grossly overpaid above market value, which I don't think many people do.
my original point was when Dubas overpaid JT it pushed the salary bar higher for M & M , you can agree or disagree but don't spin my posts

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes Dubas made a mistake trusting Hutch but he got us a quality backup now and ofcourse will only be criticized by you haters.

Interesting you choose the last 20 games why not post-Babs since that's what the thread is about. But there our record is strong and doesn't fit your agenda.
yea Dubas made a mistake by trying to fix a problem we didn't have but hey we should praise him for wasting assets to correct the mistake after over a season and a half when he could have easily found a decent b/u for free in the off season , great logic

why is it so interesting ? after the coaching change the team played well but are back to there inconsistent ways the last 20 plus games

i'm guessing your agenda is who gives a damn about the team since the point of being a fan is to cheer for the GM

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
yea Dubas made a mistake by trying to fix a problem we didn't have but hey we should praise him for wasting assets to correct the mistake after over a season and a half when he could have easily found a decent b/u for free in the off season , great logic

why is it so interesting ? after the coaching change the team played well but are back to there inconsistent ways the last 20 plus games

i'm guessing your agenda is who gives a damn about the team since the point of being a fan is to cheer for the GM
Wasting assets oh like a 3rd and 5th rounder in trades for a backup. God forbid future Gretzky's we missed out on. He's more than made up for trading some picks away with fantastic picks like Sandin and Robbo.

We have a quality cheap youngish backup now which is what matters. McBackup is 36 and having a mediocre season anyways. Now we are in much better shape with no skin lost except a 3rd and a 5th gone.

Yes consistency is our biggest problem not the GM but the thread is about improvement post-Babs not the last 20 games. The last 20 games also coincide with our biggest injury problems but of course you wouldn't dare factor that in.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Now is a great time to talk about how well the leafs would have done this year. If the Corona Virus didn't exist TOR would have won the cup.

No.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wasting assets oh like a 3rd and 5th rounder in trades for a backup. God forbid future Gretzky's we missed out on. He's more than made up for trading some picks away with fantastic picks like Sandin and Robbo.

We have a quality cheap youngish backup now which is what matters. McBackup is 36 and having a mediocre season anyways. Now we are in much better shape with no skin lost except a 3rd and a 5th gone.

Yes consistency is our biggest problem not the GM but the thread is about improvement post-Babs not the last 20 games. The last 20 games also coincide with our biggest injury problems but of course you wouldn't dare factor that in.
a 3rd and a 5th ?

it was two 3rds one of which might get upgraded to a 2nd and Moore for Campbell and Clifford but who cares about the assets he coughed up even though he could have kept them if he was even somewhat competent in his job and not created the problem in the first place or even corrected his mistake for free in the summer

i guess Marner and JT being injured on top having to play Dubes f*** up b/u goaltender wouldn't be factored into Babs record by you for some strange reason even though you have endless excuses for Dubie turning the club record team he was handed into a playoff bubble team

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

If anything we should be mad Lou couldn’t do better with such a favourable salary situation. Instead he torpedoed us with bad contracts and overpaying 4th liners, just as he is doing with the Isles.
We were a much better team with Lou period. Until then...you don't really have an argument.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
my original point was when Dubas overpaid JT it pushed the salary bar higher for M & M , you can agree or disagree but don't spin my posts
Not a spin imo. 2 separate issues. UFA vs RFA
If one influenced the other then you might have a case but we can never know if it did

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Last time I checked were in 3rd just like the previous 4 years we haven't regressed. With everyone healthy we could beat TB we have the same odds of advancing as the past 3 playoffs despite being hit harder with injuries and subpar tending.
Lots of maybes. This team is dysfunctional. If you're pleased with it .....hey. I'd say you're in the minority.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00