News Article: Did Mike Babcock Almost Ruin the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The contracts are all in Dubas , it started by overpaying Tavares then it snowballed .

the agents and players all know Dubie is a weak bitch as evidenced by him needing to have Shanny fly in to fire Babs as well as to do the media could nfetence while he hid under his bed
San Jose was offering a couple million more per season so i guess your little idea does hold water here eh. Short memory holee

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The contracts are all in Dubas , it started by overpaying Tavares then it snowballed .

the agents and players all know Dubie is a weak bitch as evidenced by him needing to have Shanny fly in to fire Babs as well as to do the media could nfetence while he hid under his bed
I wonder what names you want to call Lou who offered Tavares more money and term

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
San Jose was offering a couple million more per season so i guess your little idea does hold water here eh. Short memory holee
And Edm was offering more to Clarkson so I guess in your opinion he signed here for a discount and was worth more than what we paid him .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I wonder what names you want to call Lou who offered Tavares more money and term
Yea the rumours of what LL offered keep going up , lol , first it was 10/11 over 8 and now it’s what , 16m per ?

and pretty much every UFA said they were offered more but what someone gets offered doesn’t mean they're worth what they signed for

The list of overpaid ufa’s players is long and Johnny Mumbles is on it .

And unlike yourself I don’t give a damn about Lou since I don’t follow the sport to cheer for the GM like you seem too .

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yea the rumours of what LL offered keep going up , lol , first it was 10/11 over 8 and now it’s what , 16m per ?

and pretty much every UFA said they were offered more but what someone gets offered doesn’t mean they worth what they signed for

And unlike yourself I don’t give a damn about Lou since I don’t follow the sport to cheer for the GM like you seem too .
No, you just follow it to cheer against Dubas for whatever reason. That's why you are happy to completely ignore valuable information, like what other GMs wanted to pay

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He was one of the people that brought this organization back to respectability. He was a terrible coach though and alienated the team at times.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No, you just follow it to cheer against Dubas for whatever reason. That's why you are happy to completely ignore valuable information, like what other GMs wanted to pay
I don’t give f*** about Dubas personally either way , all I care is how the teams run and that’s why I have a problem with him .

I’ll repeat again , almost all the ufa’s said they turned down more elsewhere including Clarkdon and then the rumour about team x pops up saying they offered more and I said rumoured since I can’t remember one GM confirming these rumours .

but at the end of the day what matters isn’t what a player may or may not have been offered but how he performs relative to his cap hit

and as the Chinese farmer said

“he who goes to sleep with itchy bum , wakes up with smelly fingers”

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
The players took bigger salaries because they were incubated in a media environment that made them major celebrities relative to accomplishments. Mix in the Tavares contract and you have what we see today. Babcock lost control of the room this year, due to the aforementioned rock relationships but he really shouldn't be scapegoated for all that has not gone well in Toronto.
I think you must mean the Toronto market has inflated their egos and therefore self-worth. Probably played a role but the role of Papa Nylander and Marner seems to loom larger.

The Tavares contract was a bargain. He was offered 13m a year so Dubas actually got him 2m cheaper than his market value.

I agree Babcock shouldn't be scapegoated for our issues but he's certainly an important factor. He didn't suddenly lose the dressing room this year it seems to have started before (especially with the Marner incident) and he should have been canned in the summer as Dubas wanted but Shanahan vetoed.

Reactions: Spencer White

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lame to conpare
not comparing the players (which you know but choose to ignore) but the situation which is exactly the same so i have no idea why you believe the comparison is lame other than it doesn't fit your narrative that Johnny is worth being the highest paid player in the league but chose to come home at a discount , lol

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Babcock should have been fired last offseason. It was clear that he had lost the room and had been badly out coached in both playoff series against the Bruins.

While I get that Hyman was not likely to do more damage to his knee the fact that Babcock had a one legged guy play as much as he did against that Boston series show me how uninspired his troops were and his inability to motivate. Every player should have come to him and said coach I can and will pick up the slack, Matthews, Marner and Nylander should have all been playing 22+ mins a night. Same with Kadri when available.

His defensive deployment was terrible too, this year he almost single handily ruined the start of our season. Telling a what 8+ year vet maybe he needs to change his game.... I get it you want players to always strive to be better but Barrie is not a defensive stalwart and never will be. He was not the player we needed and unfortunately it’s looking like a bad trade.

Hopefully Dubas has learned a little bit in terms of roster construction. We obviously have some really great young players that are still growing. Get rid of the redundant players, free up some cap space and work on getting some hustle players like Hyman throughout the lineup.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Did he ruin the Maple Leafs?

Is this the Maple Leafs that picked first over all? The same Leafs who under Babcock set a franchise record for points a few short years after that 1st over all pick?

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Once again ppl fail to see what the variable was since we've slid.

Hint..... It's not Babcock

Near league leading injuries and a subpar Andersen you mean.

But we've significantly improved since Babs was canned despite these.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
It's been a while, but one question has been burning me since Mike Babcock was fired. Did Mike Babcock almost ruin the Toronto Maple Leafs?

I took a look at the "Marner Situation", the deals I think Mike Babcock influenced, and other players who were impacted by Babcock's coaching on his previous teams.

Wrote the article here, check it out if you want, and give me your thoughts!
https://www.overtimeheroics.net/ind...ation-did-mike-babcock-almost-ruin-the-leafs/
This is so stupid it hurts to think about. A coach doesn't have the ability to ruin anything unless Marner or whatever player allows it to happen. If things are ruined, and they are not, its because the players allowed it to be ruined not the coach. The players are the reason a team succeeds or fails but nobody around here ever wants them to be held responsible, it always has to be somebody else's fault. Its the nasty media, the stupid coach, the demanding market, the difficult schedule, or the crummy gm that causes the team to struggle but never in a million years is it because the players are a bunch of sassy self satisfied fancy pants who pick and choose when to put in a solid effort. Oh no, the players couldn't possibly be responsible for playing poorly, their delicate millennial feelings might get bruised. Grow up and put the responsibility where it belongs.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Near league leading injuries and a subpar Andersen you mean.

But we've significantly improved since Babs was canned despite these.
one day maybe you'll have actual success to rest your hat on instead of excuses :)

We can talk when that happens

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
And Edm was offering more to Clarkson so I guess in your opinion he signed here for a discount and was worth more than what we paid him .

and pretty much every UFA said they were offered more but what someone gets offered doesn’t mean they're worth what they signed for

Seems like you answered yourself. So perhaps a bit of get over it is in order?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad