News Article: Did Mike Babcock Almost Ruin the Toronto Maple Leafs?

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Babcock wasn't the problem. Problem was he didnt have the players that could handle his system.

Dubas traded all the grit and sand paper the team had with all these young softer guys

I still think you need to have a mix of players because if you just play only one way teams will figure you out. The team we have now is skilled but they just are not tough enough for the playoffs

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Babcock wasn't the problem. Problem was he didnt have the players that could handle his system.

Dubas traded all the grit and sand paper the team had with all these young softer guys

I still think you need to have a mix of players because if you just play only one way teams will figure you out. The team we have now is skilled but they just are not tough enough for the playoffs

This is right, more people waking up to the fact that Babcock wasn't the main problem. It's worth repeating that the 2016-17 run was great and much of 2017-18 was as well. The team looked very good, and Babcock was a Jack Adams finalist in 17

kb

Aug 28, 2009

This is soooo wrong. The ones he traded were because Babcock had them glued to the pressbox. (Martin, then later Komarov). And he brought in Muzzin, Clifford.....

Reactions: Menzinger

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It would be foolish to get rid of engvall. The guy oozes potential of a 3rd liner who has a lot of upside.

The guy has deceptive speed and decent hands. It's kind of like 2 or less years ago when people said hymen couldn't play.

Hymen is now a beast up front. People are now discounting engvall. Definetly different players, but you can see engvall will be a key part of the leafs
Actually all i have seen is soft ability. No scoring in two months and a need for a player that brings energy with physical play. He’s not a good fit chemistry wise. I like him still and lots of potential for sure. He just doesn’t fit our needs and will be a good player i hope elsewhere.

Unless he gets surrounded with the physical type i mentioned. Something has to give regardless i believe. Not hating on him at all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah.

It's a Dubas-built playoff-failure with any coach.

Babcock was just a victim, and there will be a line of victims in the future, with same kind of core.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is soooo wrong. The ones he traded were because Babcock had them glued to the pressbox. (Martin, then later Komarov). And he brought in Muzzin, Clifford.....

Muzzin has 3 fights in his entire career.

And Dubas just brought in Clifford after pressure.

Let’s not play pretend.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Babcock's input was treasured before Dubas came on board. He groomed his players into responsible 2 way players.
In a pinch he could call on anyone to fill a role. Everyone could kill a penalty or jump on the PP. 3 players brought in by Dubas changed the culture of this team. JT and Barrie are useless if called upon to kill a penalty, or play 3 on 3 O/T. Spezza killed his last penalty way back in the OHL. Dubas should have consulted Babcock, before adding players his coach had no use for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad