Did Dubas Trade away a future Conn Smythe Winner in Nazem Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think they gave up on him one season too early. His contract would have fit under our current cap even with Tavares here. He may have been that perfect fit on the LW with Matthews. I just think they let the emotions of the suspension guide them too much.

Either way it’s done and we can’t change it now. It’s one of Dubas’ worst moves but no point in constantly bringing it up.

I thought I read somewhere, though I could be wrong of course: that when he was suspended for a second time against the Bruins that the team didn't want him to travel with them. It was a hard fought series and the team felt let down and probably unforgiving in the moment. If true, he had to be moved.

Ironically, IMO if the Leafs win that game seven, Kadri is welcomed back, fresh, he probably does not get traded as the wounds are healed ("no harm, no foul, we won anyways") and the Leafs could do damage.

As it were, they lose and has had to be moved. It would be expecting too much for a hungry team fighting a very tough series down a key man to be easily forgiven.

I've been a fan of his since he came to the team as a rookie and I'm glad to see he has become a man. We all get there eventually. He definitely thrives when people doubt him. I like that mentality.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think a high-end, right-handed offensive defenseman who is good on the PP, retained at 50% for 1 year, and a 3.5m x 4 younger middle-six forward that is more defensively-oriented, versatile, and good on the PK is worth a 4.5m x 3 middle-six forward that is more offensively-oriented, good on the PP, and below-average defensively, coming off a disappointing season and two consecutive playoff suspensions.
Sure, but Barrie ended up being a terrible fit with us. It made sense to trade Kadri but Dubas didn’t get the right return

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought I read somewhere, though I could be wrong of course: that when he was suspended for a second time against the Bruins that the team didn't want him to travel with them. It was a hard fought series and the team felt let down and probably unforgiving in the moment. If true, he had to be moved.

Ironically, IMO if the Leafs win that game seven, Kadri is welcomed back, fresh, he probably does not get traded as the wounds are healed ("no harm, no foul, we won anyways") and the Leafs could do damage.

As it were, they lose and has had to be moved. It would be expecting too much for a hungry team fighting a very tough series down a key man to be easily forgiven.

I've been a fan of his since he came to the team as a rookie and I'm glad to see he has become a man. We all get there eventually. He definitely thrives when people doubt him. I like that mentality.

I don’t know. He was an immature player for a long time with the Leafs and if he had the right approach and could channel his motivation professionally the franchise would have been in better shape. I like him, miss him and I’m happy to see him have his success if he had just had his act together he wouldn’t have been banished the way he was. He’s 32. Not a kid figuring it out.

That said, maybe another Leafs GM would have been able to handle that situation differently. This group of Leafs is all about one note positivity, not sure they could handle the friction and conflict someone like Kadri brings to the table.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Pathetic display of Leaf management's inability to identify proper talent that will not only fit with, but improve the makeup of this team. Just wait until Matthews and Nylander walk and all we have left is overpaid, underperforming Tavares and mini Mitch. Kadri was a the heart and soul of this team. His personality should have been embraced. The true captain that we replaced with a player half as good as him for twice the money. What a farce 🤬

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Only half sarcasm here: it's really too bad that Kadri didn't find that sweet spot between over-the-top passion and whatever it is that compels most of the Leafs' roster to skate back to the bench as their teammate is getting facewashed after the whistle.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
Trading away players who become better well whoever we get becomes worse is par for the course.

Next we will trade willy and he will go score 100 pts and win a cup.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
This year's Stanley Cup Playoffs just seems to have so many storylines which are a referendum against the way Dubas has been building and decision's he's made over the years. Every team left in the Final Four has key personnel that seems connected to a missed opportunity by the Leafs or in the case of the Rangers, a team that went and really changed course to embrace a style of play their original build didn't.

Not to mention they fired literally everyone after Wilson clowned them in a fight lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm happy for Kadri the player. And I'll cheer as loud as anyone if he gets to raise the cup.

But he never played like this as a Leaf during the playoffs. If he had, he'd never have been traded in the first place. And even though a decent chunk of Leafs fans likely still regret the trade happened, part of that responsibility still lies with Kadri himself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm happy for Kadri the player. And I'll cheer as loud as anyone if he gets to raise the cup.

But he never played like this as a Leaf during the playoffs. If he had, he'd never have been traded in the first place. And even though a decent chunk of Leafs fans likely still regret the trade happened, part of that responsibility still lies with Kadri himself.

Yep. I feel like on some deeper level he still let down the Leafs. Love the guy and wishing him well but had he had his act together we would have all lived happily ever after.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sure, but Barrie ended up being a terrible fit with us. It made sense to trade Kadri but Dubas didn’t get the right return

Also nothing high end about Barrie. He's a flashy, irresponsible points compiler on track meet teams. The retention on the one year contract is sort of an insight the Leafs were circling 2019-20 as the year to really win it all. At the time Tampa hadn't established themselves so the field was seemingly wide open.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

So by that logic, no team or GM can ever lose a trade and it's never a GM's fault for making poor evaluations about trading very good players for crap like Kerfoot.

"If that player played like that here, we wouldn't have traded him!"

That's a laughably weak argument, clearly.

Blaming Kadri (the player) for his own trade is even weaker.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No he didn’t, and because he did, it’s part of the reason we are a failure today

Marchand and Wilson sure paid the price by their GM's for all of their suspensions over their careers :laugh:

Dubas was literally hell-bent on creating the NHL's softest roster of all time and a semi-violent player like Kadri clearly didn't jive within that framework.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
2 more years @ 3.8m but owed $8.6m. You gonna take on $8.6m for a guy who is likely to pull his groin walking to the arena without getting something significant in return ? Dubas paid a 2nd for Lub and took back Hutton's contract for Zona to take Ritchie who is owed $3m next year.
You do know that this is the first time in his career Mrazek's had a groin injury, right?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Pathetic display of Leaf management's inability to identify proper talent that will not only fit with, but improve the makeup of this team. Just wait until Matthews and Nylander walk and all we have left is overpaid, underperforming Tavares and mini Mitch. Kadri was a the heart and soul of this team. His personality should have been embraced. The true captain that we replaced with a player half as good as him for twice the money. What a farce 🤬
He may have figured it out this year just in time for free agency.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A) This IS hfboards, and this IS a thread about Kadri. Why the hell else would you be here?
B) This is hfboards. Speculation is common.

I'm aware of where we are.

Why does a supposed "majority of this board" wanting him gone matter?

Are you suggesting that influenced Dubas to trade him?

Interesting, all of a sudden a lot of his moves are starting to make some sense. :laugh:

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
This year's Stanley Cup Playoffs just seems to have so many storylines which are a referendum against the way Dubas has been building and decision's he's made over the years. Every team left in the Final Four has key personnel that seems connected to a missed opportunity by the Leafs or in the case of the Rangers, a team that went and really changed course to embrace a style of play their original build didn't.
I don't know. Colorado and especially Edmonton are built VERY similarly to the way the Leafs are. The issue is that the Leafs are in the wrong conference. That and they need to figure out why the hell they're constantly fighting EVERYTHING every year.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Source? You don't have one because this exists only in your imagination.

Your (meaningless) words, not mine. You're entitled to spew nonsense but if you're going to respond to one of my posts with random nonsense, I'm not going to do anything other than call you out on it.

I haven't noticed anyone complain about our "M" goalie not being as good as their 9M goalie, I have noticed people pointing out the simple fact. Do you have a problem with stating facts?

Why would it be near impossible for us to employ a 9M goalie?

His value to the team in the playoffs for two years in a row was zero.
What??

No one can say definitively why any move is made unless they are an insider?

I said Kadri was moved because Dubas wanted to make a big move.

What alternative reason was to move him?

If your going to say the suspensions in the playoffs, the Avs kept him after last year, and didn't feel the pressure to move him.

People say Dubas had no choice but to move Kadri. The reasons commonly given are that he didn't want to see a 3rd suspension or that we wanted to improve our defense (which failed to happen in 2020 via the deal)

If the Avs didn't cut ties with Kadri after last year, when they had much higher expectations than the 2019 leafs then what compelled Dubas to have to move Kadri, when he could have seen his play in season and recouped his value before making a decision?

Dubas valued Barrie+Kerfoot more than Kadri, he though it made the team better and the move would improve the team.

He would have kept Kadri if he didn't feel that was the big move that would fix the team in summer. He misjudged and it cost us a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad