Did Dubas Trade away a future Conn Smythe Winner in Nazem Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Tavares >> Kadri last year, and the year before.
Kadri has one really good season in his entire career.
Again, remember: second line center, over 30 goals a year, two years in a row. Why are people saying this is a one-off? Quoting stats from time as 3rd line center is not a comparison. He is play maker, always was, so compare apples to apples.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Again, remember: second line center, over 30 goals a year, two years in a row. Why are people saying this is a one-off? Quoting stats from time as 3rd line center is not a comparison. He is play maker, always was, so compare apples to apples.

60 points is not the same as 100 points which people seem to be considering the new normal for Kadri

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
No. I'll be pretty surprised if Kadri continues the scoring pace he had this season.. things like that can happen, but they don't happen often.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
60 points is not the same as 100 points which people seem to be considering the new normal for Kadri
True, but when we compare Kadri to Tavares its just kind of stupid. Because there is a 6 million plus difference in their salaries, and that means you should compare Tavares to Kadri PLUS the two top wingers of D we would have in addition. That's the point.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
True, but when we compare Kadri to Tavares its just kind of stupid. Because there is a 6 million plus difference in their salaries, and that means you should compare Tavares to Kadri PLUS the two top wingers of D we would have in addition. That's the point.
Nice, we can make up stats for those wingers or top D that we would have had. We can also make up posts about how Dubas crapped the bed by not signing Tavares when we could because his team just won the Cup while the Leafs were out in the first round.

Reactions: deprw

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
No, Dubas traded away a guy with 10 points in 19 games in the playoffs, who had been suspended for two playoffs in a row, likely losing us the series both years.

If you're upset about him having a great playoffs somewhere else years later, I sure hope you're not one of the people who has wanted to throw away our core players way better than Kadri in their early-mid 20s.
This. Kadri was a cancer.

• Haha
Reactions: cookie

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
He is on one of the best contracts in the league.

He messed up in the playoffs, but I only partially blame him. They dressed the softest playoff lineups ever. It should not have been Kadri's role to retaliate, but there was nobody else. He tried to do something that shouldn't have been asked of him.

It was a mistake trading him away.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
This Kadri deal is really shining right now as Kadri is a force in the playoffs. Still on a Leafs contract, and in the conversation for a Conn Smythe candidate.

If Kadri was signed today, long term at the same contract, what would you trade from the Leafs current roster to get him back in blue and white?

Not a drop pass in sight.
Dubas is a joke! Tavares deal ruined this team along with many other deals Dubas is behind.

This. Kadri was a cancer.
tavares is dogshit

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He is on one of the best contracts in the league.

He messed up in the playoffs, but I only partially blame him. They dressed the softest playoff lineups ever. It should not have been Kadri's role to retaliate, but there was nobody else. He tried to do something that shouldn't have been asked of him.

It was a mistake trading him away.
Retaliate is one thing, getting suspended is another.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It didn't even end then, he got suspended again in the playoffs in Colorado.

When a biased ex-ref tweets "Karma" after Kadri is injured by a cheap shot, it is clear that the league has an agenda against him. Now way should he have been suspended for the length of time he was. Gary's league is a joke, on the ice with the refs and behind closed doors starting with Gary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's an ex-ref for showing his true colours in a game. He can't help himself and continues to do it outside the game.

We know there's nothing new about that.
Leafs have a huge portion of the overall dislike that exists.

It would be difficult to officiate 82 Leafs games without running into several refs who do not like the Leafs.

Reactions: ToneDog

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
But a ref who gets suspended for drinking with one teams coach and trainer before a game ? Thats a whole new level we haven't seen since the refs were caught betting on games and quietly retired , oh wait his crewmates were among those guys as well only he stayed on hmmmm .

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I think Cale Makar is their Conn Smythe candidate but it would be hilarious if he did win.
His chances are gone now that he had to repair his thumb. Shame, but doesn’t change the facts. We needed more of him when he was traded, and we still have not replaced him.

We also still have not won a playoff round without him.

Just think of the trajectory change of this team if they had simply kept him for the following year against Columbus.

Where would this team be today, AND, Is Kyle Dubas still on the hot seat if that played out?

Watch Dubas go out and sign Kane now, just to troll Kadri because Kadri will not like Kane, and Kane could become the Leafs next favourite grinder.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I do, and I don't understand the resistance to the truth about Kadri: he is a top player, always was, if treated and used properly, and that trade was ridiculous from the start.

It's a long story. Going back, it is pretty clear that his early years were hurt by coaching and GM decisions. Calling him cocky is a signal. He's not white -- it's a classic sign of putting down someone of colour. Didn't play defense -- true, so send him to the AHL and keep him there until he does. Some players of high promise (7th overall, higher than Willie), don't react well to that. He comes up, has the highest plus/minus over the 8 game stretch on the team, so what do they do?: send him back down.

Craig Button said it right: Kadri was misunderstood, mismanaged, and mistreated. Of course, he was angry.

This year is not a one-off. Why does no one remember he scored 32 goals a year when he was 2nd line center? Think about this: if we had not signed Tavares, but kept Kadri, where would we be now? Answer: better off, because the difference in the salaries would amount to 2, maybe 3, top players. Depth, balance, something we don't have. There are indirect consequences of the Tavares decision, this is one of them.

I even think some of his suspensions were uncalled for. That hit last year looked like Scott Stevens to me, in fact Scott Stevens regularly went after people's head, and people loved him. Why? Well, he's -- code-words ahead -- he's a good Canadian boy.

Watching Kadri play for the Avalanche is painful. Please don't cite Kerfoot in response. Not in the same league..

He parked in a handicapped spot. Pretending he didn’t have behavioural concerns off the ice that were legitimate is silly.

He drove to his place of work and parked his fancy car in the handicapped parking. Who does that? Sure he could have grown. But that’s brutal.

He was a major issue in getting suspended. THREE times in 4 years. He literally went on spitting chiclets and said there was no way he would do it again. And then did.

I would take him back. I wouldn’t want his long term deal if it is more than like 7 x5

Loved his play on the ice. His entitlement off the ice was a problem. Maybe he matured. He seemed to handle this year with grace.

But he was a problem off the ice and unreliable on it

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It didn't even end then, he got suspended again in the playoffs in Colorado.
Still shaking my head at that one. Three years suspended in the playoffs, it seems surreal.

When a biased ex-ref tweets "Karma" after Kadri is injured by a cheap shot, it is clear that the league has an agenda against him. Now way should he have been suspended for the length of time he was. Gary's league is a joke, on the ice with the refs and behind closed doors starting with Gary.
So one former ref is an accurate representation of league policy? Wow, I guess it really is a good thing we traded him then. :laugh::laugh:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Still shaking my head at that one. Three years suspended in the playoffs, it seems surreal.

So one former ref is an accurate representation of league policy? Wow, I guess it really is a good thing we traded him then. :laugh::laugh:
Who talked about league policy? I am talking individuals and willing to bet Peel is not a once of. Parros also comes to mind as being biased against the Leafs.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
He parked in a handicapped spot. Pretending he didn’t have behavioural concerns off the ice that were legitimate is silly.

He drove to his place of work and parked his fancy car in the handicapped parking. Who does that? Sure he could have grown. But that’s brutal.

He was a major issue in getting suspended. THREE times in 4 years. He literally went on spitting chiclets and said there was no way he would do it again. And then did.

I would take him back. I wouldn’t want his long term deal if it is more than like 7 x5

Loved his play on the ice. His entitlement off the ice was a problem. Maybe he matured. He seemed to handle this year with grace.

But he was a problem off the ice and unreliable on it
So you would have traded Matthews?

Marchand was licking players.

One team values Championships, one values corporate image.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Who talked about league policy? I am talking individuals and willing to bet Peel is not a once of. Parros also comes to mind as being biased against the Leafs.
You've forgotten about the above post already? You made it only a few short hours ago, geez Louise. :)

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You've forgotten about the above post already? You made it only a few short hours ago, geez Louise. :)

Never used the word policy.

Policy - a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by a government, party, business, or individual.

Adgenda - the underlying intentions or motives of a particular person or group.

Clearly agenda is a subset of individuals which is what I was inferring to while you used league policy which infers the whole league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino