Did Dubas Trade away a future Conn Smythe Winner in Nazem Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
View attachment 555458

Actually, he went nuts this year ... not so much previous 2 years.
His first year was in line with what he should get when healthy and used properly. A 55-60 point player

Second year was a down year with him in pace for 47

This year was a career year and he won't ever get 70 points likely again.

Still he's been really good for his caphit and fit the Avs very well. He got suspended last year but has played 2 out of 3 playoffs

He gets faulted for game 7 vs the stars but the had a great playoffs and series as a whole. Mistakes happen and he ended up making them but overall 2020 he was great for the Avs who lost their starter that series.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
What an odd statement to make. Our "big 4" all played really well in this years playoffs, did you watch the games?

We should have higher expectations for our $11M guys other than subjective observations of perceived effort. If this was after the team had a couple of strong playoffs in previous years, I might accept the ol' they played really well. What did they do in another Game 7, this time on home ice, not much. Tavares got 3 SOG. Marner and Matthews assisted on a goal, were on the ice for a goal against and 0 for 3 on the power play.

Again, these guys are paid to be special and difference makers. Instead I read complaints about our $2M goalie not being as good as the opponent's $9M goalie who wasn't at his best as far as I'm concerned. And I don't know if anyone noticed that it would be near impossible for this team to employ a $9M goalie.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We should have higher expectations for our $11M guys other than subjective observations of perceived effort. If this was after the team had a couple of strong playoffs in previous years, I might accept the ol' they played really well. What did they do in another Game 7, this time on home ice, not much. Tavares got 3 SOG. Marner and Matthews assisted on a goal, were on the ice for a goal against and 0 for 3 on the power play.

Again, these guys are paid to be special and difference makers. Instead I read complaints about our $2M goalie not being as good as the opponent's $9M goalie who wasn't at his best as far as I'm concerned.

Want to see if Rangers are satisfied winning game 1 vs Tampa and mail in game #2 like Leafs did.

Reactions: capfit9

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Why do people still talk about this? Kadri traded himself away. Years of run ins with management and coaching, internal suspensions, being call immature publicly, having team meetings with his parents... and then finally the playoff suspensions. He ran out of runway here as an ongoing behaviour issues, at a time the team was trying to change it's culture. Seriously, after all of this time, there are some people who don't get this?

It makes sense. Trading away or letting walk Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Kapanen show that they really wanted to change the culture of the team from one that shows some passion and intensity to one that is largely timid and melancholic.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You are changing the goal posts of this discussion, which was simply, Kadri being traded away.

If you recall, Kadri had a M-NTC and he vetoed the first trade with Calgary. You pretend to have some idea, that we could have received a better trade for him. Is there any evidence out there, to support that a better trade was available? One piece of evidence. Please provide such evidence that a better trade was available.

if the only return available is barrie and kerfoot, you don't make a trade.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Are you telling me we couldn't get McDavid for a middle-six player coming off a disappointing 44 point season and two consecutive playoff suspensions?

I for one am shocked. :eek:

he had a 44 point season because he was demoted to the third line thanks to that overpriced and no-heart tavares signing.

before that, he had back-to-back 30g seasons. sakic was smart enough to see that. goobas is now left with a $11m third line center who is slower than jason allison.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
No... he wasn't trade simply because of a couple of playoff suspensions.

Years of run ins with management and coaching, internal suspensions, being call immature publicly, having team meetings with his parents... and then finally the playoff suspensions. It was years of problem behaviour, and being told, this happens again, your gone... and he did... so... move on.

he was a young kid, and his origin story isn't the typical vanilla rich kid one. he had a rough time adjusting to being a pro. but once shanahan came, he cleaned up his act. his story was one of redemption. the suspensions complicated that, but the rest of the shit you cite wasn't a factor by the time they decided to trade him.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I never liked the Kadri trade from day 1.

The entire premise of the trade was completely ridiculous in trading away a player who was "too tough" in the playoffs on a good contract no less. Then replacing him with a player on a bloated contract.

Very bad management move done only to make a splash and not improve the team.

Kadri had to go, let's get real here.

Because Dubas said so? I'm confused. It wasn't based on his value to the team and low cap hit.

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
Always liked Naz,love the way he is playing right now and miss him.

Dubas vision says Naz was not an answer here,Barrie was not an answer here,Ceci was not an answer here,Andersen was not the answer and my other guy I really miss Hyman was not an answer here and yet all are in the final 8,4 in the final 4 and at least 1 will be in the finals.
These guys that play all look better in these playoffs then they did with us.

Dubas vision says Keefe,Kerfoot,Holl,Campbell,Mrazek and all the Euros were the answer.
If all these guys are gone next year would any be missed and would we be any worse?

They can't win a round here but excel elsewhere and yet we will have the same GM and coach next year.

I hope like crazy one of the ex Leafs,mostly Naz, wins the cup and sits at the bottom of Dubas's driveway waving at him while having some bubbly out of the cup.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
One of the most over rated players in Leafs history. Naz got himself traded. As soon as he signs his big deal in July, he'll go back to being what he was. Good for Colorado that he's decided to take a year off from suspension, but after the Binnington incident, that's not terribly far at any moment. Naz will never be what Leafs fans want or fantasize him to be: Dougy & Wendel never went in swinging their sticks or trying to hurt people; cowards do that! Dudas did the only thing he could, Kadri's behavior is what likely limited where he was traded and for what! If anything, be upset at Tyson Barrie for crapping the bed here.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Dubas learned anything from the Kadri trade is that you make sure you get the best player in the package and not a few good solid pieces.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Why would he win it over Mackinnon or Makar anyway, yes hes doing good but conne smythe idk.

I liked Kadri and wanted to keep him but you can't argue trading him after 2 straight playoff suspensions. Really it coulda been 3 because of that dirty knee on knee hit he gave Ovechkin

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why would he win it over Mackinnon or Makar anyway, yes hes doing good but conne smythe idk.

I liked Kadri and wanted to keep him but you can't argue trading him after 2 straight playoff suspensions. Really it coulda been 3 because of that dirty knee on knee hit he gave Ovechkin
I think the issue was not so much trading Kadri but the return package from the trade

Reactions: capfit9

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dubas moved Kadri because he wanted to make a splash.
Source? You don't have one because this exists only in your imagination.

Again, these guys are paid to be special and difference makers. Instead I read complaints about our $2M goalie not being as good as the opponent's $9M goalie who wasn't at his best as far as I'm concerned. And I don't know if anyone noticed that it would be near impossible for this team to employ a $9M goalie.
Your (meaningless) words, not mine. You're entitled to spew nonsense but if you're going to respond to one of my posts with random nonsense, I'm not going to do anything other than call you out on it.

I haven't noticed anyone complain about our "M" goalie not being as good as their 9M goalie, I have noticed people pointing out the simple fact. Do you have a problem with stating facts?

Why would it be near impossible for us to employ a 9M goalie?

Because Dubas said so? I'm confused. It wasn't based on his value to the team and low cap hit.
His value to the team in the playoffs for two years in a row was zero.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
His value to the team in the playoffs for two years in a row was zero.
Not true. Leafs could have won each of those series without Kadri. Kadri was ready and waiting for round 2.

That potential value if we could sneak into round 2 is still value, just not readily available. 18/19 especially, I think Leafs win the cup if made it past round 1. Adding Kadri to that team would have been unstoppable.

The point is the potential suspension risk in Kadri was not enough to make barrie and kerfoot worth it. This is a hindsight comment but this is evaluation only so hindsight is unavoidable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This year's Stanley Cup Playoffs just seems to have so many storylines which are a referendum against the way Dubas has been building and decision's he's made over the years. Every team left in the Final Four has key personnel that seems connected to a missed opportunity by the Leafs or in the case of the Rangers, a team that went and really changed course to embrace a style of play their original build didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad