Did Dubas Trade away a future Conn Smythe Winner in Nazem Kadri?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
him needing to go and it being a good deal and 2 different things.

the only other trade that I can think of that can be argued as worse is Mason Marchment but I'd still put to Kadri trade above that one .
I assume he took the best offer he got. If he had to go, then it makes no sense to criticize him for taking the best offer. Unless you think he should have accepted the worst offer?

well GM is the one who makes the moves so they kinda did have something to do with moving Kadri
for as much patience this core has been given would have been nice to give Kadri that 3rd chance
Of course Dubas made the deal, by upper management I though you were referring to his bosses. Sorry for the confusion.

Leaf fans seem to suffer a really bad case of Grass Is Greener syndrome, especially when it comes to players the team traded away. No matter what, what everyone else has is better than what we have and what we have is never good enough. And the Naz whining is identical to the Hyman whining; mad because we used to have them, and now they're having good playoffs, so clearly they would have been useful this year... Ignoring how they performed IN Toronto before they left, what happened, why the left, and a bunch of other information.

Like for all the guys whining about keeping McCann for Holl or Kerfoot, would you REALLY have been happy staring at the Leafs losing McCann this offseason as a UFA while loosing whoever they did in the expansion draft instead, or would you be here bitching about "Dubas blowing potential assets"?
Yeah the McCann whining is such a joke. People are just so angry, they'll bitch and moan at anything at this poing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I assume he took the best offer he got. If he had to go, then it makes no sense to criticize him for taking the best offer. Unless you think he should have accepted the worst offer?

Of course Dubas made the deal, by upper management I though you were referring to his bosses. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah the McCann whining is such a joke. People are just so angry, they'll bitch and moan at anything at this poing.

Keeping Holl over McCann has proven to be the wrong call, Holl is not a good player in fact he took away what would have been the game tying goal in game 7, that play may have cost them game 7, because if he xdoesn't take away Tavares's goal then Rielly's goal is a 2-1 goal instead of a 1-1 goal and who knows what happens.

That's not Holl's only dumb play, he makes a lot of those but that one came in game 7 which makes it much worse

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Keeping Holl over McCann has proven to be the wrong call, Holl is not a good player in fact he took away what would have been the game tying goal in game 7, that play may have cost them game 7, because if he xdoesn't take away Tavares's goal then Rielly's goal is a 2-1 goal instead of a 1-1 goal and who knows what happens.

That's not Holl's only dumb play, he makes a lot of those but that one came in game 7 which makes it much worse
Hindsight's always cool but Holl is a pretty good player, much better than people give him credit for around here and Dmen are very valuable commodities in general. Dubas made a smart move acquiring him (Mccann) for peanuts which ended up meaning that the expansion draft didn't end up costing us much at all.

Last edited:

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Not sure what this has to do with Kadri, but McCann was also a very smart trade, that allowed them to protect the more valuable Holl - who would have cost a lot to replace in last year's defenseman market.

Discussing things honestly.

Yes number 6 to Ahl caliber defensemen are really difficult to replace.

Hilarious take considering were about to give up a pick to offload him

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is ancient history .. time to move on .. it was a bad trade at time .. but rook GMs always take it hard .. blame should go up to Shanny/Larry .. no sense blaming kids .. enough already

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
The biggest issue with the khadri trade was that it wasted the biggest advantage of the JT signing where we were weilding 3 number 1/1.5 Cs no one had that much quality up the middle. We hold on a year and we could have signed Brodie anyways, we didn't need Barrie with the type of team we had.

Hypothetically we have JT/AM/khadri/Kampf up the middle. That's the best Center line up in the league.

I don't think the return was that bad but it diminished our biggest advantage in return for assets that weren't really that needed

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The real pain from that trade is that we traded him for a crappy package. A defenseman that didn’t fit in Barrie and a vanilla player in Kerfoot. Trading him to a contender in Colorado doesn’t help, as now every victory they have with him in the playoffs makes that trade feel worse given we still can’t get out of round one.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Why hasn't Brad Marchand been dumped by the Bruins yet?

Because Marchand is a superstar and has never been suspended in the playoffs? Nevermind suspended back to back series

This Kadri stuff is all revisionist history.

Do I miss him and want him back on the team? Yeah, I do. Do I think trading him made sense when it happened? Yeah.

You want to go at Dubas go at him for the RFA negotiations and the pieces we got back in the Kadri deal. Not the idea of trading him itself

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The perception of Barrie on this subforum is so skewed by the worst sample of games he had in one of the worst seasons of his career.
See also; all the posters who insist the Leafs will probably have to add a first or second rounder to Mrazek to move his "horrible" contract, because of how "horrible" he was last year, a major statistical outlier in an otherwise average tandem season in which he was mostly hurt. Because of course all 31 other GM's are going to look at that, say "this guy's done" and refuse without extra assets, right? In a league in which guys who were done 5 years ago are still getting contracts?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The real pain from that trade is that we traded him for a crappy package. A defenseman that didn’t fit in Barrie and a vanilla player in Kerfoot. Trading him to a contender in Colorado doesn’t help, as now every victory they have with him in the playoffs makes that trade feel worse given we still can’t get out of round one.

The original deal (which Kadri vetoed with his NTC) was to send him to Calgary and in the end, we signed Brodie for free and he's been really good. Also, I don't see why we have to worry about him in Colorado. He's in the western conference, which as a good player, is exactly where he should've be sent.

This fanbase needs to quit the revisionist history around Kadri (I noticed it was trending on Twitter today, FFS). Most of the fanbase wanted him gone. The media wanted him gone. Consensus, even for those of us who liked him, was that he was expendable for a desperately-needed defenceman and (after the Brodie trade fell through) Barrie was the best available at the time.

(I actually tried to find my original post from the trade threads, which if my memory serves, was not a ringing endorsement of the trade itself. It turns out Kadri was traded way back in July 2019 and that thread isn't even archived anymore. This fanbase needs to move on).

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
See also; all the posters who insist the Leafs will probably have to add a first or second rounder to Mrazek to move his "horrible" contract, because of how "horrible" he was last year, a major statistical outlier in an otherwise average tandem season in which he was mostly hurt. Because of course all 31 other GM's are going to look at that, say "this guy's done" and refuse without extra assets, right? In a league in which guys who were done 5 years ago are still getting contracts?
He's signed for what 3 more years at 3.8? That's a terrible contract to unload

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's signed for what 3 more years at 3.8? That's a terrible contract to unload

2 more years @ 3.8m but owed $8.6m. You gonna take on $8.6m for a guy who is likely to pull his groin walking to the arena without getting something significant in return ? Dubas paid a 2nd for Lub and took back Hutton's contract for Zona to take Ritchie who is owed $3m next year.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What an odd statement to make. Our "big 4" all played really well in this years playoffs, did you watch the games?

LOL.

He did have to go, and is was because of his non-stop suspensions in the playoffs.

Yup. I thought the curse turned the Leafs into a pillar of salt, it seems that this place was turned into a pillar of salt as well. :laugh::laugh:

Yeah right. LOL.

So true!
There was less pressure to make a big move then versus now.

Leafs were only in year 1 of Dubas Era so losing in the 1st to Boston in 2019 while shitty wasn't as bad as Tampa is after 4 years of this.

We could have easily kept Kadri for the year and either seen if he could bring his production up in a different role or be dealt closer to Trade deadline

Dubas moved Kadri because he wanted to make a splash.

He had no intention of keeping Barrie as we knew barrie if he worked was going to get a big deal and if he didn't (which he failed horribly) he'd be removed and we'd look for another solution

Kadri only cost us/was a reason we lost in 2019.

2018 he played the final 3 games of the series, and that series tbh we should have lost in 5 if it weren't for marner/Marleau + andersen getting wins in games 5 and 6

The Avs kept Kadri after his 3rd suspension in 4 years last year and a down year overall.

He responded with 84 pts in 70 games I think and this year has been great up to game 2 of the conference finals.

Kadri contract was always going to make him movable even if he got suspended a 3rd time in a row. 4.5M for a great 2C when utilized properly is quality value.

We moved Kadri because out of him and Nylander only he could be dealt at a fairish value initial offer as Nylander had a horrific 2019 season

We weren't dealing 34/16/91 or 44. So the only pieces left were 88/43.

Sucks Barrie was terrible and kerfoot is pretty meh while Kadri has gotten better since being dealt on the Avs.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

And dubas as the main architect of that trade will be tarnished by it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sucks Barrie was terrible and kerfoot is pretty meh while Kadri has gotten better since being dealt on the Avs.

1654291224318.png

Actually, he went nuts this year ... not so much previous 2 years.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think they gave up on him one season too early. His contract would have fit under our current cap even with Tavares here. He may have been that perfect fit on the LW with Matthews. I just think they let the emotions of the suspension guide them too much.

Either way it’s done and we can’t change it now. It’s one of Dubas’ worst moves but no point in constantly bringing it up.

he would have also looked great with tavares. or move tavares up with matthews and give kadri more responsibility and nylander & hyman/bunting on the wing. so many options.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
No idea but just noticed he has a 10 team NTC.

Mrazek is a great guy who will be desperate enough to get out of Dodge that he will accept a trade anywhere.:sarcasm:

I expect he won't want to go to Arizona which would be the easy solution considering how much of a Shitshow they are

Idk why we seem to hand out the trade protection like candy. We have 17 players on the roster 9 have trade protection and 3 that don't are Mitch willy and Auston ( Mitch and Auston get them after next year)...

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
We had two passionate Leafs IMO. Kadri and Kappy and both were moved. Even so if you decide that a guy needs to be moved out, move him out for fair value and if you can't get fair value, then you keep him. You don't trade him, Rosen and a third that most forget for Kerfoot and a year of Tyson F'n Barrie who could not defend if his life depended on it. Will never forget how he played that 2 on 1 against Columbus in OT. Putrid.

I got no problem seeing him succeed in Colorado or for being traded. My problem is that our 3D chess player Dubas was body bagged by a checkers player. It will be the same if they decide to move on from Nylander or Marner.

Barrie was one of the most frustrating players ever. I remember in OT regular season he comes down the wing, does his usual blast high and wide, goes back and they score. He's made me yell at the TV so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad