Did Dubas Trade away a future Conn Smythe Winner in Nazem Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think they gave up on him one season too early. His contract would have fit under our current cap even with Tavares here. He may have been that perfect fit on the LW with Matthews. I just think they let the emotions of the suspension guide them too much.

Either way it’s done and we can’t change it now. It’s one of Dubas’ worst moves but no point in constantly bringing it up.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think they gave up on him one season too early. His contract would have fit under our current cap even with Tavares here. He may have been that perfect fit on the LW with Matthews. I just think they let the emotions of the suspension guide them too much.

Either way it’s done and we can’t change it now. It’s one of Dubas’ worst moves but no point in constantly bringing it up.

Agree, wasn’t a cap issue. The re-signed Kerfoot for $1 mill less. They could have kept him in, plus he just came off a down year statiscally.

It was definitely more because of the suspensions .. in long term hindsight it looks bad but he was also suspended last year too.

I can’t imagine the frustration there would be if Kadri was suspended a third time last year as a Leaf after putting up only 11 goals and 32 points in 56 games. There’s no patience from the fan base.

Reactions: Ciao and Mr_Fun

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No, Dubas traded away a guy with 10 points in 19 games in the playoffs, who had been suspended for two playoffs in a row, likely losing us the series both years.

If you're upset about him having a great playoffs somewhere else years later, I sure hope you're not one of the people who has wanted to throw away our core players way better than Kadri in their early-mid 20s.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Getting suspended because of your ego is one thing.

Kadri was retaliating because Boston was taking liberties. It sucks, but I don't trade a guy for that.

We had two passionate Leafs IMO. Kadri and Kappy and both were moved. Even so if you decide that a guy needs to be moved out, move him out for fair value and if you can't get fair value, then you keep him. You don't trade him, Rosen and a third that most forget for Kerfoot and a year of Tyson F'n Barrie who could not defend if his life depended on it. Will never forget how he played that 2 on 1 against Columbus in OT. Putrid.

I got no problem seeing him succeed in Colorado or for being traded. My problem is that our 3D chess player Dubas was body bagged by a checkers player. It will be the same if they decide to move on from Nylander or Marner.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We had two passionate Leafs IMO. Kadri and Kappy
Imagine thinking Kadri and Kapanen (what???) were our only "passionate Leafs". :laugh:
Even so if you decide that a guy needs to be moved out, move him out for fair value
Both were moved out for fair value. Actually, both were considered slam dunk wins by the overwhelming majority of the hockey community (including many of the people who now vehemently argue against it) at the time of the trade. I'm not sure if some people are retroactively overvaluing a middle-six player coming off a down year and two consecutive playoff suspensions, or if they're undervaluing a package of a slightly less offensive/more defensive and versatile middle six player and a high-end defenseman 50% retained. Maybe both.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The Kadri trade was dumb and we obviously lost it.

But I can’t help but laugh. Kadri early on in his career was called out a ton for not trying. As was Kessel. Both of them went on to have Smythe worthy performances.

Following this, I fully expect Willy to be traded only to win a Smythe a few years later.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

He was worse than gardiner in the Dallas gaem
7. He was directly responsible for the tying and winning goal.

The next year he was suspended the year they were the favourite for the cup and missed the Vegas series.

Say those things happened here?

Then what ? He has. Now been suspended 3 times. He is going into his ufa year.

Do you keep him?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Imagine thinking Kadri and Kapanen (what???) were our only "passionate Leafs". :laugh:

Both were moved out for fair value. Actually, both were considered slam dunk wins by the overwhelming majority of the hockey community (including many of the people who now vehemently argue against it) at the time of the trade. I'm not sure if some people are retroactively overvaluing a middle-six player coming off a down year and two consecutive playoff suspensions, or if they're undervaluing a package of a slightly less offensive/more defensive and versatile middle six player and a high-end defenseman 50% retained. Maybe both.

LOL. Slam dunks. Apologies to the kid, but those slam dunks not looking so good today.

McCann was a slam dunk. Dubas managed to kick a gift horse in the mouth in order to protect Holl, who he'll now look to dump. Your boy is quite the GM but if he is paying you to police the board and defend him to the grave, I get it. If not, I have no idea what your motives are.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, Dubas traded away a guy with 10 points in 19 games in the playoffs, who had been suspended for two playoffs in a row, likely losing us the series both years.

If you're upset about him having a great playoffs somewhere else years later, I sure hope you're not one of the people who has wanted to throw away our core players way better than Kadri in their early-mid 20s.

And people forget that going into this season he would have been a ufa and came off his 3rd suspension.

Heck he could win the cup and the smythe (although he wasn’t even an all star by voting this year so I don’t see it).

But it doesn’t change that he was a massive liability for 4 playoffs straight.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Colorado is in the West and thus playing against different competition than Kadri was facing during his time with the Leafs. It's quite tough to make an apples to apples comparison out of this.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
McCann was a slam dunk. Dubas managed to kick a gift horse in the mouth in order to protect Holl
Not sure what this has to do with Kadri, but McCann was also a very smart trade, that allowed them to protect the more valuable Holl - who would have cost a lot to replace in last year's defenseman market.
I have no idea what your motives are.
Discussing things honestly.

Reactions: as Pure as Evil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad